1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random sums of rvs

1. Feb 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]Z=X_1+\ldots+X_N[/itex], where:

[itex]X_i\sim_{iid}\,\text{Exponential}(\lambda)[/itex]

[itex]N\sim\,\text{Geometric}_1(p)[/itex]

For all [itex]i,\,N[/itex] and [itex]X_i[/itex] are independent.

Find the probability distribution of [itex]Z[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]G_N(t)=\frac{(1-p)t}{1-pt}[/tex]
    [tex]M_X(t)=\frac{\lambda}{\lambda-t}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]M_Z(z)=G_N(M_X(z))=\frac{(1-p)\left(\frac{\lambda}{\lambda-z}\right)}{1-p\left(\frac{ \lambda}{\lambda-z}\right)}[/tex]
    [tex]Z\sim\,\text{Geometric}_1\left(p \frac{ \lambda}{\lambda-z}\right)[/tex]

Is that even correct? Should I be looking for [itex]E[Z][/itex] and [itex]V[Z][/itex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Z is a continuous random variable, so does not have a discrete generating function M_Z(z). You should be looking at its MGF [itex] M_Y(u) = E e^{u Y}, [/itex] or its Laplace transform [itex] L_Y(s) = E e^{-s Y}. [/itex] You almost had it right, but you switched the roles of the two types of transforms.

Another, perhaps more direct approach is to get the density [itex] f_Y(t)[/itex] of Y from
    [tex] f_Y(t) dt = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} P\{N=n\} P\{ Y \in (t,t+dt) | N=n \}, [/tex]
    and noting that given {N=n}, Y has an n-Erlang distribution.

RGV

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3
    I'm still confused... this is what I was doing:
    [tex]M_Z(z)=E(e^{zZ})=E[E(e^{zZ}|N)]=E[(Ee^{zX_1})(Ee^{zX_2})\ldots(Ee^{zX_N})][/tex]
    [tex]=E[(Ee^{zX})^N]=E[(M_X(z))^N]=G_N(M_X(z))[/tex]
    Where am I going wrong? Should I be doing this:
    [tex]M_Z(s)=M_X(G_N(s))[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook