Probability Distribution of Random Sums of Exponential RVs

In summary, the homework statement states that Z is a continuous random variable and that its MGF is M_Y(u) = E e^{u Y}.
spitz

Homework Statement

[itex]Z=X_1+\ldots+X_N[/itex], where:

[itex]X_i\sim_{iid}\,\text{Exponential}(\lambda)[/itex]

[itex]N\sim\,\text{Geometric}_1(p)[/itex]

For all [itex]i,\,N[/itex] and [itex]X_i[/itex] are independent.

Find the probability distribution of [itex]Z[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]G_N(t)=\frac{(1-p)t}{1-pt}[/tex]
[tex]M_X(t)=\frac{\lambda}{\lambda-t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]M_Z(z)=G_N(M_X(z))=\frac{(1-p)\left(\frac{\lambda}{\lambda-z}\right)}{1-p\left(\frac{ \lambda}{\lambda-z}\right)}[/tex]
[tex]Z\sim\,\text{Geometric}_1\left(p \frac{ \lambda}{\lambda-z}\right)[/tex]

Is that even correct? Should I be looking for [itex]E[Z][/itex] and [itex]V[Z][/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
spitz said:

Homework Statement

[itex]Z=X_1+\ldots+X_N[/itex], where:

[itex]X_i\sim_{iid}\,\text{Exponential}(\lambda)[/itex]

[itex]N\sim\,\text{Geometric}_1(p)[/itex]

For all [itex]i,\,N[/itex] and [itex]X_i[/itex] are independent.

Find the probability distribution of [itex]Z[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]G_N(t)=\frac{(1-p)t}{1-pt}[/tex]
[tex]M_X(t)=\frac{\lambda}{\lambda-t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]M_Z(z)=G_N(M_X(z))=\frac{(1-p)\left(\frac{\lambda}{\lambda-z}\right)}{1-p\left(\frac{ \lambda}{\lambda-z}\right)}[/tex]
[tex]Z\sim\,\text{Geometric}_1\left(p \frac{ \lambda}{\lambda-z}\right)[/tex]

Is that even correct? Should I be looking for [itex]E[Z][/itex] and [itex]V[Z][/itex] ?

Z is a continuous random variable, so does not have a discrete generating function M_Z(z). You should be looking at its MGF [itex] M_Y(u) = E e^{u Y}, [/itex] or its Laplace transform [itex] L_Y(s) = E e^{-s Y}. [/itex] You almost had it right, but you switched the roles of the two types of transforms.

Another, perhaps more direct approach is to get the density [itex] f_Y(t)[/itex] of Y from
[tex] f_Y(t) dt = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} P\{N=n\} P\{ Y \in (t,t+dt) | N=n \}, [/tex]
and noting that given {N=n}, Y has an n-Erlang distribution.

RGV

I'm still confused... this is what I was doing:
[tex]M_Z(z)=E(e^{zZ})=E[E(e^{zZ}|N)]=E[(Ee^{zX_1})(Ee^{zX_2})\ldots(Ee^{zX_N})][/tex]
[tex]=E[(Ee^{zX})^N]=E[(M_X(z))^N]=G_N(M_X(z))[/tex]
Where am I going wrong? Should I be doing this:
[tex]M_Z(s)=M_X(G_N(s))[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of probability distribution in relation to random sums of exponential random variables?

The probability distribution of random sums of exponential random variables refers to the likelihood of obtaining a particular sum when adding together multiple exponential random variables. This distribution can provide insight into the likelihood of certain events occurring in a system or process.

2. How is the probability distribution of random sums of exponential random variables calculated?

The probability distribution of random sums of exponential random variables can be calculated using the convolution theorem, which involves convolving the individual exponential distributions. This can also be done using the moment-generating function or the characteristic function of the exponential random variables.

3. What are some real-world applications of the probability distribution of random sums of exponential random variables?

The probability distribution of random sums of exponential random variables has many applications in fields such as engineering, finance, and biology. For example, it can be used to model the time between rare events, such as the arrival of customers in a queue or the occurrence of natural disasters. It can also be used in reliability analysis to predict the failure time of a system.

4. How does the probability distribution of random sums of exponential random variables differ from other types of probability distributions?

The probability distribution of random sums of exponential random variables is a special case of the gamma distribution and is typically used to model events that occur over time. It differs from other distributions, such as the normal distribution, in that it is skewed and has a longer tail, which reflects the fact that rare events are more likely to occur.

5. What are some limitations of the probability distribution of random sums of exponential random variables?

One limitation of the probability distribution of random sums of exponential random variables is that it assumes that the individual exponential random variables are independent and identically distributed. In reality, this is not always the case, which can lead to inaccurate predictions. Additionally, this distribution may not be suitable for modeling events with changing hazard rates over time.