Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random symmetry breakings

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1

djeitnstine

Gold Member

I was reading the book "New Theories of Everything" and I came across the term "random symmetry breakings" Let me explain a bit:

This applies if there are more than 3 spacial dimensions. In our early universe when our universe was very small, hot and dense, it would be safe to say that at one point in time all of these dimensions were on equal footing...ie...all on the same scale. Now obviously only 3 of them became large enough for us to experience. So somewhere along the line, these symmetries were broken. However, today when we tests on particles on quantum levels we find that they exhibit odd states such as superposition and entanglement.

In a nutshell these particles seem to have have all symmetries at once so then how can it randomly be broken? Obviously they were because we only perceive 3 spatial dimensions.

Any thoughts on this?

-Djeinstine

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2008 #2
    If you don't mind me asking, how is this statement related to the rest of that post? What does this have to do with the whole rise of three dimensions thing?

4. Jul 6, 2008 #3

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Well at one point in time...our universe was very small...and all matter was squished to a quantum level. So all particles would exhibit similar if not the same behavior correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?