Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random thoughts on snow flurries

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    I just took a look out the window and saw what seemed to be confetti. But then I noticed that no two were alike so it had to be snow flurries. I paid close attention to one of them that seemed in no hurry to go anywhere. It would sink a few inches, then rise, move a little to the left, but not making any real progress. Then a gust came and blew it off to who knows where. I can't find it now. I wonder if there are scientists who study the motion of flurries. They give you some idea of the wind patterns in a micro kind of way. Perhaps there are better materials that are used for this purpose. Don't know. Mainly, my concern is the fact that even a single one of these pieces of water can cause a traffic jam that reaches from Bivalve to Ong's Hat. I hope I will be together with my family tonight. How's the weather by your way?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Yeah, we started getting flurries yesterday, and they're still occurring on and off today. There's only a patchy dusting of white on the grass, nothing sticking to roads anywhere, yet, so true about the traffic getting all clogged up over it! Why is it that people see a snowflake and suddenly panic about driving? If it were accumulating, it would make sense, but not what we have.

Anyway, it made last night the perfect night to head out and get my groceries and a few more Christmas gifts for coworkers. Between being a Monday night, a little wind, and a hint of snowflakes (what tried to stick was immediately blown off the roads anyway), there was hardly anyone out. :biggrin:

4. Dec 4, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Much the same. I'm north of Jimmy, and it's just cold. We had a couple of cm of snow the other day, which was followed by freezing rain. We woke to cars covered in ice.

5. Dec 4, 2007 #4
    I'd like to once again brag that I have snow up to and beyond my knees. :)

I love Winter.

6. Dec 4, 2007 #5
    We had a blast of winter snow the other day. Snowed all of one day, then the next freezing rain which turned into poured rain. Yesterday the wind, 45 mph gusts, tore down branches, causeing power failures.
    Jeez I love my generator.

7. Dec 4, 2007 #6
    I'm up here in Edmonton Alberta, and have had snow off and on for almost a month now.

Good thing about Alberta is, if you don't like the weather, you just have to wait half an hour.

8. Dec 5, 2007 #7
    Down here, we study how much water people think they see on the ground.

9. Dec 5, 2007 #8
    Supposed to be a sunny day in the 60s for us :smile:

10. Dec 5, 2007 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I've had to shovel and snow-blow about a foot of "flurries" over the last couple of days.

[​IMG]

11. Dec 5, 2007 #10
    :bugeye: There go your habaneros.

12. Dec 5, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

They've been safely in jars for months. The Sunday before last, I had to chop several inches deep in frozen dirt to plant my garlic - waited a bit too long on that one.

13. Dec 5, 2007 #12
    That's why I live in Phoenix. The worst we get every year is four days of frost. :tongue:

14. Dec 5, 2007 #13

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Monday and yesterday, we had 25 cm (10 inches) with strong winds. Early yesterday morning, the bus I take to work got stuck going up a hill. After the driver managed to rock it out, he backed down the hill, backed around a corner, and continued backing up for about another 300 metres, until he found a street suitable for navigation.

On my trip to work, I saw four cars and two other city buses completely stuck.

And we were lucky. Many other places near here got hit harder.

15. Dec 5, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a mess here today. Not really a lot of snow yet. Less than 2 inches to clean off the driveway when I left this morning, but the roads are a mess. It's not enough to provide traction, just enough to get slushy and refreeze and turn the mountain roads slick. Even so, I didn't think road conditions were that bad, although it seems enough other people did to make it take an hour to drive 5 miles this morning. I saw some student walking from the student apartments toward campus, and was going to offer a ride, then realized he would get there before I would at the rate traffic was not moving.

There's an alternative route I can take, but when I got to the intersection where I could turn off, I noticed that someone was stuck at the TOP of the first big hill going that way, smack in the middle of the road. :grumpy: How do you get stuck at the TOP of a hill? So, neither route was going to move, and all I could do was sit and wait. Lots of little fender benders along the way were the problem...people follow too close here.

16. Dec 5, 2007 #15
    :approve:Now that's funny. I'm satisfied to remove a single snowflake from my walk, but the one I want to get at is always burried under a zillion companions.

17. Dec 5, 2007 #16
    I had the impression you lived in central Jersey. The only mountains I know are the purple ones in that song. For instance, Haddon Heights gets its name from the fact that it is the highest point along the 60 miles between Atlantic City and Philadelphia. 60 feet above sea level.

Another flurry storm today. I hope it keeps up, but it'll probably come down. Today's flakes are a lot smaller than yesterday's. It's absolutely Darwinian. They're probably denser too. Because although some of them waft upwards from time to time, there is a stronger downward trend than before. There are more of them though, I would guess the total volume to be about the same as yesterday. If natural selection continues in this fashion, eventually we will get an infinity of flakes, each of diameter zero.

Getting home last night was no picnic. I sympathize with those who must drive through hazardous conditions, but here along the sunny byways of the People's Republic of Northern South Jersey, there was NO SNOW. Why can't we all just get along?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  18. Dec 5, 2007 #17

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Come and listen to a story about a gal named Moon
    A poor Mountaineer, barely could get some food at noon
    Then one day she found the MountainLair
    And up on the grill was some sizzlin' fair

19. Dec 5, 2007 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: That was great!!

20. Dec 5, 2007 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I just shoveled and salted my driveway, and even with the salt down, it's getting another coating of snow already. :frown: It doesn't feel so cold that the salt should be insufficient, but maybe it hasn't dissolved enough yet to coat enough of the drive to do more than melt small patches here and there.

21. Dec 5, 2007 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Excellent! I take it you've been to WVU, or know people who have, that you are familiar with the Mountain Lair? :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm originally from Jersey, but had the good sense to get out! :biggrin: :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?