Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
Physics news on Phys.org
Goody, first reply is mine

We have a winner! Nice JorisL. :approve:

What a relief! When I saw the "Thread Closed" announcement, I thought that Om and Zoob and I had killed another one. :blushing:

edit: Not that I'm necessarily going to, but in this new PF4 format, can I still pull a quote from the old previous thread to use in this one?

I have some friends who used to be my project mates, they are looking for new jobs too. Should I introduce them to my company ? Helping people is not to get thanks in return, I'm only afraid they may "kill" me some day.
They tell me they are working with Russians and those Russians are strict bad arses.
Someone can offer me some insights.

Last edited:
Danger said:
What a relief! When I saw the "Thread Closed" announcement, I thought that Om and Zoob and I had killed another one. :blushing:

edit: Not that I'm necessarily going to, but in this new PF4 format, can I still pull a quote from the old previous thread to use in this one?
God only knows Danger, and I don't believe in a god. You can try.

Likes mp3car
Danger, so you have a small crush for Swedish TV? :) I haven't. :D Actually, I have not seen that SF series at all, not a single episode, so I don't know anything about it, well, except that I think it is about humanoid robots or something.

Now to something else:
I now know what has got to be the most destructive thing you can do in mathematics... anyone know what I mean? Anyone? Anyone? Take a guess...

Last edited:
Such a nice clean room we have here! And holy crap I get the 8th post...so cubic :oldsmile:

Danger said:
Not that I'm necessarily going to, but in this new PF4 format, can I still pull a quote from the old previous thread to use in this one?
Depends on how much trouble you are willing to take.
Borek_from_part_3 said:
Mark V Shaney did it 30 years ago.
And then they made a young Ukranian who beat the Turings test (arguably).

Hmm... @AnOldStudent
text2image_W53897_20141210_041907.jpg
What russians?

Evo said:
You can try.
I will, just for the sake of experimentation, but not right now. These damned "Alert" things keep popping up so fast that I don't have time to say hello to myself. That's okay unto itself, but for some reason my 'book is running very sluggishly right now. (I think that maybe the new data packets from "SETI @ Home" are trying to sneak out of their quarantine area and use PF processor time. :oldgrumpy:)

DennisN said:
Danger, so you have a small crush for Swedish TV?
This is the only example of it that I've ever seen. I like it very much, except for the aforementioned issue of me not understanding Swedish. That's my fault, not theirs.

DennisN said:
I now know what has got to be the most destructive thing you can do in mathematics... anyone know what I mean? Anyone? Anyone? Take a guess...
Leave your calculator in your pants pocket at the laundromat?

lisab said:
Such a nice clean room we have here! And holy crap I get the 8th post...so cubic
:oldlaugh:

Last edited:
DennisN said:
Danger, so you have a small crush for Swedish TV? :) I haven't. :D Actually, I have not seen that SF series at all, not a single episode, so I don't know anything about it, well, except that I think it is about humanoid robots or something.

Now to something else:
For me, during my college years, it would be: take a math class at 8:00.

How come I can't see your avatar?

Danger said:
Leave your calculator in your pants pocket at the laundromat?
That can surely be destructive :).
But no, I was thinking about something that is terribly destructive to mathematics itself: Killing vector fields.

EDIT:
lisab said:
I have no idea. Works just fine over here.

AnOldStudent said:
I'm chilling out with mates over here on the beach with sunshine and yellow sand.
:cool: Go surfing?

lisab said:
Are you descended from the van Helsing line? :olduhh:

Danger said:
Are you descended from the van Helsing line? :olduhh:
Really - everyone else can see DennisN?

Clear your cache, basiL. Might help.

lisab said:
Really - everyone else can see DennisN?
True story... he's Bender and Dr. Zoidberg grinning at the "camera". I've never had a glitch with seeing it.

Enigman said:
:cool: Go surfing?
:nb) Never done that before, it's sure a good sport on the beach.

My final rant about Killing vector fields:

Actually, I can't understand how mathematicians and general relativists can be so careless that they employ them. What on Earth are they thinking? It's not just the name. Think about it:

Vectors are pointy rascals. Pointy = dangerous.
Vectors are unimaginably thin, which means they must be sharp as razorblades.
And they can point in ANY direction!
And they can be arbitrarily long!
And, now, imagine an ENTIRE field of them! A Killing Field!
They could be the end of the field of mathematics as we know it!
Euler would have cried a river of tears.

Last edited:
Likes John M. Carr
Perhaps it's Euler's fate.
Pointy is not always dangerous.
Here we consider the Tensor field
Whose values are measured by Lie derivative.
If I'm dying,
Will you come save me ?

Danger.. 62 posts today??
tumblr_luu2d94ZYR1qhansmo1_400.gif

Likes RonL, edward and AnOldStudent
drizzle said:
Danger.. 62 posts today??
:oldconfused:

Love the graphic, but what the hell are you talking about?

Danger said:
:oldconfused:

Love the graphic, but what the hell are you talking about?
I too am soo curious :DD. What's the up-beating all about ?

check the top posters in the home page of PF.

AnOldStudent said:
Perhaps it's Euler's fate.
Pointy is not always dangerous.
Here we consider the Tensor field
Whose values are measured by Lie derivative.
If I'm dying,
Will you come save me ?
I will do my best, but try to keep a distance to those vector fields. If you stop functioning, I may not be able to neither derive nor integrate you.

DennisN said:
I will do my best, but try to keep a distance to those vector fields. If you stop functioning, I may not be able to neither derive nor integrate you.
Ok, I'll stop functioning. :approve: Don't ever call me a static object then. :D

drizzle said:
check the top posters in the home page of PF.
Oh! I never even knew that thing existed.

Just saw it today too, Dan.

Not feeling like doing my reading. *sigh*

drizzle said:
Not feeling like doing my reading. *sigh*
You're probably still far too young to realize it yet, but there is absolutely nothing like a good nap to get you back into the swing of things.

Danger said:
...but there is absolutely nothing like a good nap to get you back into the swing of things.
Are you serious ? I am already shaky on my current background about nap and now that what you say almost ruins my initial understandings. :H So having many ideas at the same time about the same issue is soo Dangerous. :headbang::bow:

AnOldStudent said:
Are you serious ? I am already shaky on my current background about nap and now that what you say almost ruins my initial understandings. :H So having many ideas at the same time about the same issue is soo Dangerous. :headbang::bow:
You're back into that stash of special "tea" again, right? :oldeyes:

Danger said:
You're back into that stash of special "tea" again, right? :oldeyes:
OK!
emoitcon-faces-collection-028.jpg

I really don't like teaching at university! It sounds really stressful but I guess I have to...:/

Lisa! said:
I really don't like teaching at university! It sounds really stressful but I guess I have to...:/
Exactly, I think you should.

Likes Lisa!
<h2>What is the purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?</h2><p>The purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is to continue the discussion and sharing of random thoughts and ideas in a separate thread, allowing for a more organized and focused conversation.</p><h2>How is "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" different from the previous parts?</h2><p>"Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is different from the previous parts because it is split into a separate thread, allowing for a more organized and focused discussion. This also helps to prevent the thread from becoming too long and difficult to navigate.</p><h2>Can anyone participate in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?</h2><p>Yes, anyone can participate in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" as long as they follow the guidelines and rules set by the forum or community hosting the thread. It is important to be respectful and considerate of others when participating in any discussion.</p><h2>What is the benefit of participating in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?</h2><p>The benefit of participating in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is the opportunity to share and exchange ideas, thoughts, and perspectives with others. It can also be a great way to connect with like-minded individuals and engage in meaningful discussions.</p><h2>Is there a specific topic or theme for "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?</h2><p>No, there is no specific topic or theme for "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread". It is meant to be a space for open and free-flowing conversation, so any random thoughts or ideas are welcome as long as they follow the guidelines set by the hosting forum or community.</p>

What is the purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?

The purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is to continue the discussion and sharing of random thoughts and ideas in a separate thread, allowing for a more organized and focused conversation.

How is "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" different from the previous parts?

"Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is different from the previous parts because it is split into a separate thread, allowing for a more organized and focused discussion. This also helps to prevent the thread from becoming too long and difficult to navigate.

Can anyone participate in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?

Yes, anyone can participate in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" as long as they follow the guidelines and rules set by the forum or community hosting the thread. It is important to be respectful and considerate of others when participating in any discussion.

What is the benefit of participating in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?

The benefit of participating in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is the opportunity to share and exchange ideas, thoughts, and perspectives with others. It can also be a great way to connect with like-minded individuals and engage in meaningful discussions.

Is there a specific topic or theme for "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?

No, there is no specific topic or theme for "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread". It is meant to be a space for open and free-flowing conversation, so any random thoughts or ideas are welcome as long as they follow the guidelines set by the hosting forum or community.