Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #3,851
This is clearly very complex. Multivariate objects must be returned. But currently only a univariate one is done. SoI have to push this down to speed up the process, and at the same time belittle everything if they luckily get done in the end.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,852
WWGD said:
If you want one about ignorant statements, we had a basketball player who said he would do more than a 180 turn on his team, he would help his team do a full 360 turn on its performance. You know, if a 180 turn is a big deal, imagine doing a full 360!
John Major, UK Prime Minister in the mid 90s, once famously said that "when your back is against the wall, that's when you have to turn around and fight". Think about the geometry of that particular mixed metaphor for a minute...

Likes zoobyshoe
  • #3,853
Ibix said:
John Major, UK Prime Minister in the mid 90s, once famously said that "when your back is against the wall, that's when you have to turn around and fight". Think about the geometry of that particular mixed metaphor for a minute...
Hopefully someone got him Cervantes to read ...

Likes Ibix
  • #3,854
"I hate how delicate the pre-puberty ages can be." (Algren)
And I always thought the trouble began afterwards.

• #3,855
fresh_42 said:
Hopefully someone got him Cervantes to read ...
Giant slaying was rather out of fashion among the Tories at the time, so probably not. Would have been a good idea, though.

• #3,856
fresh_42 said:
Did he succeed?

Many times over, but it is difficult to tell just how many.

• #3,857
Ibix said:

Maybe he could act with Jason Kidd and do a full turn before fighting. Interesting when two stupid statements cancel each other out.

• #3,858
Is this just a coincidence?
There is this proselytizing religious group that sets its tables on a sidewalk, close to a wall. And it is always in the same spot, next to a section of the wall with a poster that reads " Don't Play Dumb". I was considering taking a picture of it, but I did not want to embarrass them.

• #3,859
fresh_42 said:
Did he succeed?

Sportsmen are famous for telling non-sense.
There is even a website for it.
But, strangely, they seem to capture the attention of large part of the audience. You know that tooth paste that the Tennis player is advertising. It must be a great tooth paste, otherwise this famous sports guy would not be mentioning it. Go figure.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,860
WWGD said:
Is this just a coincidence?
There is this proselytizing religious group that sets its tables on a sidewalk, close to a wall. And it is always in the same spot, next to a section of the wall with a poster that reads " Don't Play Dumb". I was considering taking a picture of it, but I did not want to embarrass them.
There's a street here nearby where it tells you on the right side of the road to slow down to 30 whereas on the left it tells you the previous 30 is no longer valid. It's not even the border of the town or something like that. Just in the middle of nowhere.

Our constitution starts with: " §1. Man's dignity is indefeasible." (Don't know how to translate it better, sorry. We don't use "man" for humans.)
One of my favorite bumper stickers I ever saw read: "Man's foolishness is indefeasible."
Comes right next to the famous "Beam me up, Scotty! ..."

• #3,861
I swear to you that I saw Dudley my knight online yesterday over here, while he was also reading these posts, all of a sudden a headache struck him so bad that he had to take a leave and hasn't come back until now.

• #3,862
I walked down to the coffee shop about 6A.M. After I'd been there a few minutes, the sky busted open and rained about as hard as it could for half an hour. All the streets turned to rivers, and I had to swim home. I don't really mind, but I felt bad for the people trying to drive to work.

Likes collinsmark and Silicon Waffle
  • #3,863
Yeah, the rain here in San Diego has been pretty formidable this week. And there's more to come over the next few days. That's unusual for this region.

But it might just be an El Niño thing. Meaning as cycle works it's way to back to El Niña (over the next several years), it might get dry as heck again in full force.

We can certainly use the rain, not doubt about that. :woot: I fear it doesn't necessarily mean that we're actually out of the drought though. :oops:

• #3,864
collinsmark said:
We can certainly use the rain, not doubt about that. :woot: I fear it doesn't necessarily mean that we're actually out of the drought though. :oops:
At least people won't be draining the reservoirs to water their lawns.

• #3,865
zoobyshoe said:
There is, in fact, just such a thread. That is not it's express purpose, but it can easily be bent to that purpose. It used to be a healthy and thriving thread, but something strange happened at PF a while back and the people with no sense of humor somehow came to greatly exceed those with a sense of humor. The last great PF humorist, JimmySnyder, (JimmySnider?) departed PF one day a few years back, never to be seen again, leaving only the words, "PF is stupid." in his wake.

PF used to be an hysterically funny place. People often even made wise cracks in the serious forums now and then.
I miss Jimmy's stories.

Likes collinsmark
  • #3,866
I just had the thought that 'doctrine' sounds like a name for a female doctor.

• #3,867
collinsmark said:
Yeah, the rain here in San Diego has been pretty formidable this week. And there's more to come over the next few days. That's unusual for this region.
It's more like the way it was when I first moved here in '87. Winter was San Diego's "monsoon" season during my first few years here.
As I understand it, the rain in San Diego County has little to do with it's water supply. It's all about the snow pack in the Rockies. The actual parching of the local earth, as I understand it, has been going on for decades, and might take decades to reverse if the "meta-cause" of it were removed.

• #3,868
Wondering how practical heated ear muffs with ear buds inside would be. Probably not really efficient either, but would sure love some for the heck of it.

• #3,869
OmCheeto said:
I miss Jimmy's stories.
The beauty of Jimmy's stories was that you had to be really had to be careful when reading one of his posts. People who didn't know better would take him too seriously with hilarious results. This was one of my favorites.
Bear Stearns told us to buy and Morgan Stanley told us to sell. First we went with Morgan Stanley and sold short, but the market rose and we lost money. So we had to drop our shorts and go with Bear Stearns.

Likes zoobyshoe and OmCheeto
  • #3,870
Kind of surprising to read that many high schools in the country practice Mindful Meditation or other types of meditation.

• #3,871
WWGD said:
Kind of surprising to read that many high schools in the country practice Mindful Meditation or other types of meditation.
Why do you think that is?
----------
Does anyone actually like plain yogurt?

• #3,872
I look at GD forums and see I posted pretty many. Some of my posts after reread sound like nonsense and spams but I can't delete the old ones. I ammm Sooo Sorry! :smile:

• #3,873
jackwhirl said:
Why do you think that is?
----------
Does anyone actually like plain yogurt?

Maybe sheer necessity * together with a surprisingly open minded attitude.

*Situation is serious: some in schools actually like plain yogurt.

• #3,874
Silicon Waffle said:
I look at GD forums and see I posted pretty many. Some of my posts after reread sound like nonsense and spams but I can't delete the old ones. I ammm Sooo Sorry! :smile:

GD= ? Gardening? Ah, never mind, general discussion I guess.

• #3,875
WWGD said:
GD= ? Gardening? Ah, never mind, general discussion I guess.
Can't be. The latest hype is UGD.

Last edited:
  • #3,876
It happened again.
"However, arguing about what is weird is no more objective than arguing about what color is most attractive." @A. Neumaier
It was so desperately tempted to post: "I thought they are all strongly attractive".
However, my self-censorship prevented me once more from being deleted.

Likes lisab
  • #3,877
fresh_42 said:
It happened again.
"However, arguing about what is weird is no more objective than arguing about what color is most attractive." @A. Neumaier
It was so desperately tempted to post: "I thought they are all strongly attractive".
However, my self-censorship prevented me once more from being deleted.

Is that an example of UGD?

• #3,878
No. It's an object from the category (SCS,V) := (self-censored posts, virtually presented).
But in urban gardening (UGD; GD was your proposal) you can also find objects of SCS.
At least the first plant that came to my mind would certainly not survive for very long ...

• #3,879
fresh_42 said:
No. It's an object from the category (SCS,V) := (self-censored posts, virtually presented).
But in urban gardening (UGD; GD was your proposal) you can also find objects of SCS.
At least the first plant that came to my mind would certainly not survive for very long ...
That is way too esoteric , I give up on it.

• #3,880
WWGD said:
That is way too esoteric , I give up on it.
So let's have a drink in the re-opened Tiki bar. I'm still waiting for my Lagavulin order over there.

• #3,881
fresh_42 said:
So let's have a drink in the re-opened Tiki bar. I'm still waiting for my Lagavulin order over there.
A Lagavulin or _in_ Lagavulin?

• #3,882
Both would be fine, although it might be cold out there this time of the year. However, it would make my order obsolete.

• #3,883
Lottery jackpot (Powerball) around here has reached $800 million. What do I do with all that ( or the estimated actual $529.8 million one actually nets)?

I hope no one wins for a few times, to see it get to more than a billion. Imagine, a price of
$1,000,000,000 (after taxes; though this assumes a single winner)?

• #3,884
You know that many winners end up in bankruptcy? Although I admit this might be hard to do with that amount of money. And don't forget that earnings from capital are not free of taxes!

• #3,885
fresh_42 said:
You know that many winners end up in bankruptcy? Although I admit this might be hard to do with that amount of money. And don't forget that earnings from capital are not free of taxes!
Yes, I know, but these are usually people who have serious issues to start with; money magnifies and allows you to more fully express who you are. And this is why I mentioned that the jackpot go above a billion so that the net can be $1 billion after taxes. It just sounds surreal for your average person to suddenly become that rich. With an expected life of 40 years after winning, it comes down to $25 million a year.
So I am trying to decide where my homes will be : St Tropez ? Lausanne? Why just one home?