Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #3,886
WWGD said:
So I am trying to decide where my homes will be : St Tropez ? Lausanne?
Why do you want to climb hills each time you go somewhere?
However there are two good reasons pro the banks of Lake Geneva: Tina Turner and Shania Twain.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,887
WWGD said:
Lottery jackpot (Powerball) around here has reached $800 million. What do I do with all that ( or the estimated actual $529.8 million one actually nets)?

I hope no one wins for a few times, to see it get to more than a billion. Imagine, a price of
$1,000,000,000 (after taxes; though this assumes a single winner)?

Update, Jackpot up to $900 million.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,888
WWGD said:
I want to be a lottery winner. :nb)

• #3,889
When I see people wearing sweat pants in mid-winter, I conclude humanity, or at least this country has won , or is ahead in the fight for survival -- fashion and comfort can be put ahead of keeping warm.

• #3,890
Silicon Waffle said:
I want to be a lottery winner. :nb)
I don't know where you are, but you may be able to buy tickets online if you are not in a participating state.

• #3,891
fresh_42 said:
Why do you want to climb hills each time you go somewhere?
However there are two good reasons pro the banks of Lake Geneva: Tina Turner and Shania Twain.

Shania Twain: She don't impress me much*. But I did not know about St Tropez being a place with high elevation. How about NYC, Madrid and Vienna?

* Getting back at her over her pretentious 90's song.

• #3,892
WWGD said:

wow - i could really fix up my old truck

• #3,893
I've never been to NYC. But I'm sure it's a city which I'd like. At least it's flat. Madrid has some beautiful museums worth visiting. And I dream of once driving there. It's like NYC traffic with less rules. Vienna is very special, and expensive. Ok, that shouldn't be a problem anymore. It wouldn't be my choice. IMO Lausanne actually has been a perfect choice. If there weren't these hills in the middle of it ...
To catch your pass: Shania probably composed her song Up! after a shopping tour in Lausanne ;-)

• #3,894
jim hardy said:

No problem, but give me some time to send a lawyer to collect the winnings and I will send you a PF check.

EDIT: What the heck, I will buy you a new truck after I win.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,895
fresh_42 said:
I've never been to NYC. But I'm sure it's a city which I'd like. At least it's flat. Madrid has some beautiful museums worth visiting. And I dream of once driving there. It's like NYC traffic with less rules.

There are many good things about the city. Still, fewer rules than Madrid would basically imply almost no rules whatsoever. If you want to drive here, get ready to deal with droves of people in every corner, jay walking , etc. Not a driver's paradise.

• #3,896
WWGD said:
That would imply no rules whatsoever.
There is one rule: live and let live. I.e. on a three lane road there will be at least four used lanes and to turn around a corner you'll have to use every single inch you could find to force your way. Funny. It's Kant's categorical imperative made reality.

• #3,897
WWGD said:
EDIT: What the heck, I will buy you a new truck after I win.

Thanks ! this will do nicely...

upload_2016-1-9_11-54-51.png

Likes nuuskur and fresh_42
  • #3,898
jim hardy said:
You could buy an entire factory. :oldtongue:

• #3,899
This is a new one: a lady texting for some twenty minutes while breast- feeding in the park.

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,900
You wasted 20 minutes of your life observing that?

• #3,901
nuuskur said:
Wasted? 20 minutes of imagination, jealousy and sitting in a park? (Ok, I'm a little shameful for me and my fellow males but only a little. )

• #3,902
nuuskur said:
Sort of, I observed it on and off. Hoping I would be next in line ;).

• #3,904
fresh_42 said:
Anybody watching football?
You mean the Super Cup?

• #3,905
WWGD said:
You mean the Super Cup?
No I meant the wild card matches.

• #3,906
All representatives are still assisting other callers. Please continue to hold for the next available representative.

• #3,907
Some Bach piece in the interval, I think it's a movement from one of the Brandenburgs, transcribed for guitar. It's very scratchy. I'm on the third time through.

• #3,908
Elvis' birth anniversary (1/8/35) seems to have gone by with little notice.

• #3,909
zoobyshoe said:
All representatives are still assisting other callers. Please continue to hold for the next available representative.
Seems they could save both the public and themselves time, hassle and money if they would allow you to leave your phone together with good times to call you back -- with some guarantee to not put you on a marketing call list.

• #3,910
WWGD said:
Seems they could save both the public and themselves time, hassle and money if they would allow you to leave your phone together with good times to call you back -- with some guarantee to not put you on a marketing call list.
The Ca DMV does that. This is my cable company I'm trying to talk to at the moment. They issued a new device for digital TV. I hooked it up, but I am only getting one channel, USA. The TV refuses to even try to display another channel by any means of channel changing.

• #3,911
zoobyshoe said:
The Ca DMV does that. This is my cable company I'm trying to talk to at the moment. They issued a new device for digital TV. I hooked it up, but I am only getting one channel, USA. The TV refuses to even try to display another channel by any means of channel changing.
Seems it would take a good amount of computing power for someone on the other side of the phone line to understand your layout and give instructions. I have seen very few people do that well.

• #3,912
WWGD said:
Seems it would take a good amount of computing power for someone on the other side of the phone line to understand your layout and give instructions. I have seen very few people do that well.
Well, someone finally answered. The problem was that, to do anything, you have to aim the remote at the new digital box rather than at the TV.

• #3,913
WWGD said:
Elvis' birth anniversary (1/8/35) seems to have gone by with little notice.
I noticed. My sister is mad about him. (And I once named a server Aaron!))

Last edited:
  • #3,914
So far, the ordeal was worth it. Everything's HD now, and I get about 20 more channels.

• #3,915
zoobyshoe said:
So far, the ordeal was worth it. Everything's HD now, and I get about 20 more channels.

I am still trying to figure out how best to find something I enjoy with a 200+ line up. Maybe I should use ideas of the Secretary Problem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_problem to choose the best thing to watch.

• #3,916
WWGD said:
I am still trying to figure out how best to find something I enjoy with a 200+ line up. Maybe I should use ideas of the Secretary Problem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_problem to choose the best thing to watch.
Sounds like a perfect strategy to watch the last five minutes of many shows and movies.

(My record is at danger: I want the Steelers to win and they are 15-0 in the lead (3rd).)

• #3,917
fresh_42 said:
Sounds like a perfect strategy to watch the last five minutes of many shows and movies.

But there is a feature in most cable that you can know the programming ahead of time, together with a description ( but maybe good old Tivo ( if it is still around) may be a better alternative). But there is the issue that this will interrupt the last 5-10 minutes while searching. Unless you start your prep many hours ahead -- I don't have that amount of time nor dedication to this.

• #3,918
WWGD said:
But there is a feature in most cable that you can know the programming ahead of time
I've got something like this. And I can mark programs I want to watch so the receiver automatically switches channels. That sometimes results in pure stress when overlapping occurs ...

• #3,919
WWGD said:
I only have 96 choices, but so many of them are so invariably of no interest that choosing is usually a matter of determining the best of 3.

• #3,920
There are several chunks of time today that I can't account for.

<h2>What is the purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?</h2><p>The purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is to continue the discussion and sharing of random thoughts and ideas in a separate thread, allowing for a more organized and focused conversation.</p><h2>How is "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" different from the previous parts?</h2><p>"Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is different from the previous parts because it is split into a separate thread, allowing for a more organized and focused discussion. This also helps to prevent the thread from becoming too long and difficult to navigate.</p><h2>Can anyone participate in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?</h2><p>Yes, anyone can participate in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" as long as they follow the guidelines and rules set by the forum or community hosting the thread. It is important to be respectful and considerate of others when participating in any discussion.</p><h2>What is the benefit of participating in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?</h2><p>The benefit of participating in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is the opportunity to share and exchange ideas, thoughts, and perspectives with others. It can also be a great way to connect with like-minded individuals and engage in meaningful discussions.</p><h2>Is there a specific topic or theme for "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?</h2><p>No, there is no specific topic or theme for "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread". It is meant to be a space for open and free-flowing conversation, so any random thoughts or ideas are welcome as long as they follow the guidelines set by the hosting forum or community.</p>

What is the purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?

The purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is to continue the discussion and sharing of random thoughts and ideas in a separate thread, allowing for a more organized and focused conversation.

How is "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" different from the previous parts?

"Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is different from the previous parts because it is split into a separate thread, allowing for a more organized and focused discussion. This also helps to prevent the thread from becoming too long and difficult to navigate.

Can anyone participate in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?

Yes, anyone can participate in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" as long as they follow the guidelines and rules set by the forum or community hosting the thread. It is important to be respectful and considerate of others when participating in any discussion.

What is the benefit of participating in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?

The benefit of participating in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is the opportunity to share and exchange ideas, thoughts, and perspectives with others. It can also be a great way to connect with like-minded individuals and engage in meaningful discussions.

Is there a specific topic or theme for "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?

No, there is no specific topic or theme for "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread". It is meant to be a space for open and free-flowing conversation, so any random thoughts or ideas are welcome as long as they follow the guidelines set by the hosting forum or community.