Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #3,991
Dos Equis is nice. Not sure I'd go so far as to rip pages out of a book just to hang on to the mere mention of it, though.

Likes collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,992
fresh_42 said:
There is another possibility: Urgent needs all of a sudden to get some paper ...
That occurred to me, but there are completely blank pages both at the beginning and end of this edition that no one would have missed much.

• #3,993
Ibix said:
Dos Equis is nice. Not sure I'd go so far as to rip pages out of a book just to hang on to the mere mention of it, though.
Maybe somebody really hates Dos Equis and feels compelled to annihilate all traces of its existence from the known universe?

• #3,994
collinsmark said:
Maybe somebody really hates Dos Equis and feels compelled to annihilate all traces of its existence from the known universe?
I think we can rule this out because, given the importance of the clue, the beverage in question is mentioned many more times in the rest of the book, which was intact.

• #3,995
Sorry to keep bringing this up: Powerball jackpot hits $1,500,000,000 . I am sort of hoping no one wins, just to see the jackpot reaching 3-4 billion for next time. Of course, since sales of tickets are way up , it is necessary for a lot of repeats to happen .Wonder if it will be shown in large video screens.

• #3,996
WWGD said:
Sorry to keep bringing this up: Powerball jackpot hits $1,500,000,000 . I am sort of hoping no one wins, just to see the jackpot reaching 3-4 billion for next time. Of course, since sales of tickets are way up , it is necessary for a lot of repeats to happen .Wonder if it will be shown in large video screens.
Someone just posted this on Facebook:
Screen shot 2016-01-12 at 5.08.59 PM.png

• #3,997
zoobyshoe said:
View attachment 94240
They are either horrible at Math or misunderstood (misunderestimated?) the meaning of 1.5 billion. It comes down to $4.33 /person. Or a bit more than $1 per Chinese person. Or, EDIT: Maybe Andolini is Italian and was thinking of Liras. But not even then.

Last edited:
  • #3,998
WWGD said:
They are either horrible at Math or misunderstood (misunderestimated?) the meaning of 1.5 billion. It comes down to $4.33 /person. Or a bit more than $1 per Chinese person.
Enough to buy a calculator for each person, you think?

Likes WWGD
  • #3,999
WWGD said:
They are either horrible at Math or misunderstood (misunderestimated?) the meaning of 1.5 billion. It comes down to $4.33 /person. Or a bit more than $1 per Chinese person. Or, EDIT: Maybe Andolini is Italian and was thinking of Liras. But not even then.
The original meme seems to have originated from an Instagram account named Esteyban, as Buzzfeed notes. Though the quote is attributed to a person named Philipe Andolini, Tech Insider could not find any such person after a quick internet search. Judging by Esteyban's other Instagrams, however, it's likely a made-up person the self-labeled "meme-creator" chose for his meme.
http://www.techinsider.io/powerball-split-math-meme-is-wrong-2016-1

• #4,000
zoobyshoe said:
I finally got another copy of that book that had pages ripped out of it. Sometime later tonight I shall discover the secret of why they were suppressed, or alternately I will remain confused as to why they were torn out.
Just curious, have you asked library staff if this happens often?

• #4,001
WWGD said:
Just curious, have you asked library staff if this happens often?
No. When I turned the damaged book in all I was concerned about was whether or not they would blame me.

I do actually know a librarian, though. We're Facebook friends. I can ask her if you're really interested.

• #4,002
zoobyshoe said:
View attachment 94240
Well, it depends on where you do the math.
In German 1 billion equals ##10^{12}## so it makes sense.

• #4,003
zoobyshoe said:
No. When I turned the damaged book in all I was concerned about was whether or not they would blame me.

I do actually know a librarian, though. We're Facebook friends. I can ask her if you're really interested.
Yes, please. I thought it would be interesting if you asked a librarian in person, then they would proceed to rip off the pages of a book to wipe some hamburger grease of their face and say , non-chalantly" I am not sure" (followed by a burp for dramatic effect).

• #4,004
WWGD said:
The Italian Lira doesn't exist anymore.

• #4,005
fresh_42 said:
Well, it depends on where you do the math.
In German 1 billion equals ##10^{12}## so it makes sense.
Given how Germans seem to append words to other words (in my very very basic knowledge of German language), it would not surprise me if ##10^12 ## is the length of the largest word in German.

• #4,006
lottery is making me remember my favorite comic book character from childhood.

UnckeScrooge.jpg

Duckburg was my favorite part of Disneyworld.

Likes einswine, lisab and Silicon Waffle
  • #4,007
fresh_42 said:
The Italian Lira doesn't exist anymore.
Ah, that makes me look really good: replying to an ignorant statement while making one myself. EDIT: I guess it is the Euro now.

Likes fresh_42
  • #4,009
WWGD said:
Ah, that makes me look really good: replying to an ignorant statement while making one myself.
By the way: Whether you append words or build snakes of genitives doesn't make much difference :wink:

• #4,010
jim hardy said:
lottery is making me remember my favorite comic book character from childhood.
Duckburg was my favorite part of Disneyworld.
There is something fundamental wrong in this picture!

• #4,011
WWGD said:
Yes, please. I thought it would be interesting if you asked a librarian in person, then they would proceed to rip off the pages of a book to wipe some hamburger grease of their face and say , non-chalantly" I am not sure" (followed by a burp for dramatic effect).
It's my experience that most library books show signs of having been in the hands of an eater-reader, some apparently more than one. You also find hairs and bits of clothing lint.

My sister helps organize a huge book sale every year for a charity. They go through each donated book and determine a price for it. She says they find amazing things tucked into the pages, including sensitive personal documents and large denomination US currency.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #4,012
The downside of low oil prices
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/oil-plunges-energy-companies-cut-200322802.html [Broken]
As oil plunges, energy companies cut jobs, postpone projects

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Silicon Waffle
<h2>What is the purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?</h2><p>The purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is to continue the discussion and sharing of random thoughts and ideas in a separate thread, allowing for a more organized and focused conversation.</p><h2>How is "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" different from the previous parts?</h2><p>"Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is different from the previous parts because it is split into a separate thread, allowing for a more organized and focused discussion. This also helps to prevent the thread from becoming too long and difficult to navigate.</p><h2>Can anyone participate in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?</h2><p>Yes, anyone can participate in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" as long as they follow the guidelines and rules set by the forum or community hosting the thread. It is important to be respectful and considerate of others when participating in any discussion.</p><h2>What is the benefit of participating in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?</h2><p>The benefit of participating in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is the opportunity to share and exchange ideas, thoughts, and perspectives with others. It can also be a great way to connect with like-minded individuals and engage in meaningful discussions.</p><h2>Is there a specific topic or theme for "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?</h2><p>No, there is no specific topic or theme for "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread". It is meant to be a space for open and free-flowing conversation, so any random thoughts or ideas are welcome as long as they follow the guidelines set by the hosting forum or community.</p>

What is the purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?

The purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is to continue the discussion and sharing of random thoughts and ideas in a separate thread, allowing for a more organized and focused conversation.

How is "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" different from the previous parts?

"Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is different from the previous parts because it is split into a separate thread, allowing for a more organized and focused discussion. This also helps to prevent the thread from becoming too long and difficult to navigate.

Can anyone participate in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?

Yes, anyone can participate in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" as long as they follow the guidelines and rules set by the forum or community hosting the thread. It is important to be respectful and considerate of others when participating in any discussion.

What is the benefit of participating in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?

The benefit of participating in "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread" is the opportunity to share and exchange ideas, thoughts, and perspectives with others. It can also be a great way to connect with like-minded individuals and engage in meaningful discussions.

Is there a specific topic or theme for "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread"?

No, there is no specific topic or theme for "Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread". It is meant to be a space for open and free-flowing conversation, so any random thoughts or ideas are welcome as long as they follow the guidelines set by the hosting forum or community.