Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
Lisa! said:
I really don't like teaching at university! It sounds really stressful but I guess I have to...:/
You will be fine great. Since you have to, you might as well try and have some fun with it. What course are you teaching?

Likes Lisa!
Physics news on Phys.org
Enigman said:
You will be fine great. Since you have to, you might as well try and have some fun with it. What course are you teaching?
I guess I should start with lab courses first and that scares me the most since I myself passed these courses million years age...:D

Likes John M. Carr and RonL
@dipole: Sorry I don't see how to quote posts in RTP3. Re my handle WWGD: Yes, WWGD stands for "What Would Gauss Do" , a variation on What Would Jesus do?

Lisa! said:
I really don't like teaching at university! It sounds really stressful but I guess I have to...:/
If you relate to students as well as you do here, you'd own the place.

Likes Lisa!
Bloody spelling

Evo said:
Time to split the thread again.

And you are the thread starter again :P

Likes Lisa! and RonL
I'm not sure about Twitter.
I've never really understood the concept.
But I'm now following another Twit:

Sarah M. Hörst

I think I will devote a few brain cells to her, also.

OmCheeto said:
But I'm now following another Twit:
We're going to run out of socially acceptable vowels pretty soon... :olduhh:

This is unusual the thread is on the third page and I haven't had a random thought yet?

My left arm and hand is numb. Does that count? There is no problem it is always numb from the elbow down because my ulnar nerve is having a fight with my elbow.

edward said:
This is unusual the thread is on the third page and I haven't had a random thought yet?

My left arm and hand is numb. Does that count? There is no problem it is always numb from the elbow down because my ulnar nerve is having a fight with my elbow.
Can't we all just get along?

Likes Danger
DennisN said:
My final rant about Killing vector fields:

Actually, I can't understand how mathematicians and general relativists can be so careless that they employ them. What on Earth are they thinking? It's not just the name. Think about it:

Vectors are pointy rascals. Pointy = dangerous.
Vectors are unimaginably thin, which means they must be sharp as razorblades.
And they can point in ANY direction!
And they can be arbitrarily long!
And, now, imagine an ENTIRE field of them! A Killing Field!
They could be the end of the field of mathematics as we know it!
Euler would have cried a river of tears.

I literally laughed out loud.

Danger said:
Oh! I never even knew that thing existed.

Neither did I, until yesterday. And guess who was at the top of the list when I first saw it? If you said "Danger," you're coooooooorect!

I am far too laconic to ever hope to compete.

lisab said:

You know the moment someone says that, there's going to be a) a riot, b) a war, c)the combination of those two, also known as a "flame war."

Basically, only say that if you want to cause trouble. ;-)

Likes lisab
I ended up waiting for the bathroom for like 20 minutes until I realized that the person I thought was in front of me in line was just a weirdo hanging out there for no apparent reason.

Likes zoobyshoe
Time for my 3 hours of sleep.

Curse that CS elective!

Likes Enigman
I didn't mean to curse anyone or anything. I am very gentle, anyone supervising me knows that well. :D
People tend not to like the truth because it either hurts or disillusions them.

John M. Carr said:
lisab said:
the moment someone says that, there's going to be a) a riot, b) a war, c)the combination of those two, also known as a "flame war."
Or an orgy. Don't forget the orgy. That's my vote!
tongue2-gif.gif

AnOldStudent said:
I didn't mean to curse anyone or anything. I am very gentle, anyone supervising me knows that well. :D
People tend not to like the truth because it either hurts or disillusions them.
I once had a friend like you. She used to complain that I was weak, because I never shared my true feelings. One day, she shared her true feelings with me, and I decided never to speak to her, ever again. The only friends she has left, are members of her coven.

:D

Likes AnOldStudent and Danger
OmCheeto said:
One day, she shared her true feelings with me, and I decided never to speak to her, ever again.

She was that disturbing, eh?

John M. Carr said:
She was that disturbing, eh?
Maybe her "true feeling's" were regret over having the sex-change operation... :olduhh:

Danger said:
Or an orgy. Don't forget the orgy. That's my vote! [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/tongue2-gif.76003/[/QUOTE]

I'm not too familiar with such things, but that sounds like it could start a war as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:
Maybe her "true feeling's" were regret over having the sex-change operation... :olduhh:

Yes, I looked for a Hallmark card for a friend whose dad had become a woman, but I could not find one. Congratulations to your new ...mom? Female dad? Interesting to see the dad/mom/whatever's kids and their friends tiptoeing around it: how is your...mom? dad? ...er, you know. Are you going to buy a dress with your , your, eh, you know?

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Yes, I looked for a Hallmark card for a friend whose dad had become a woman, but I could not find one. Congratulations to your new ...mom? Female dad?

I'll just leave this right here. (Regeneration is far more effective than surgery, IMHO. :P )

master-21.jpg

Likes Enigman
John M. Carr said:
I'll just leave this right here. (Regeneration is far more effective than surgery, IMHO. :p )

master-21.jpg

How about: Couldn't very well keep calling myself the _mister_ ?

I can't see how a Hawaiian gang name could sound tough: the Wahakelea Alua Mahakali (made up) : it all elicits in me thoughts
of tropical drinks in paradise, with georgeous female dancers in grass skirts. Conversely, most German names sound tough, maybe the pronunciation.

Likes Danger
John M. Carr said:
I'm not too familiar with such things, but that sounds like it could start a war as well.
Depends, I guess. Legally, and in my opinion ethically, a transgendered person is whatever s/he became physically. I would not consider it to be a homosexual relationship, for instance, to be involved with a man who became a woman because her brain has been female all along. Others feel differently, and sometimes in a very violent manner. (Not that I would for a second accuse Om of that; my whole post was just an off the cuff jibe.) I would, however, be upset by any woman entering into a potentially permanent relationship with me if she did not disclose an inability or unwillingness to reproduce. That physical fact is not a deal-breaker for me; not telling me about it is. (That's all now theoretical, of course; I still have sex when I can lure some clueless young creature into my den, but she has to do all of the heavy lifting and I have to crank up my oxygen supply to potentially explosive levels. Also, I''m not physically capable of raising a child, as much as I alway wanted one. I'm sure that society will be mightily relieved to know that I'm the last of my species. The fools! I have over 500 nieces, nephews, cousins, second cousins, grand nieces and nephews, great grand... well, let's just say that society is screwed... :biggrin:)

Ooooooh... Modern, LaTeX-set Feynman lectures. Yummy.

Nice, another random part. I shall begin by practicing my English... *clears throat*

I do fancy we have members with class in this exemplary forum. Honorable staff, please allow me to do the honors:

It is with great delight that I inform you that you have just opened the doors into a place of awesome notoriety where science subjects can blossom into elaborated dialogues that exploit crowd-sourced analysis available nowhere else in the planet. In this marvelous forum you can get answers to scientific questions which may not always be very clear to you when they present themselves in textbooks or scientific journals. You will find a clan of humans who are positive, compassionate and profoundly diplomatic when debating.

Oh distinguished and honorable staff, if I ever blunder in my ways, kindly correct my innaposite perceptions when you deem proper. Your right-minded decisions are worthy of utmost admirance. They are what keep this wonderful place in it's current glorious and magnificent state.

Here is an image so you can get an idea of the accent I am using to pronounce these words:
4IxHkKj.jpg

And now I shall continue refining my English...

Danger said:

This reminds me of the old "sex-change operation" joke.

Friend; "Did it hurt when they lopped off your ******"?
Lopee; "Duh..."
Friend; "Did it hurt when they lopped off your *******"?
Lopee; "Of course"!
Friend; "So what was the worst part"?
Lopee; "When they scooped out half my brain".​

It goes both ways...

hmm... Where the hell am I? Random Thoughts! My favorite place.

A friend of mine has a gasoline powered blender. We had many a margarita this summer. (hic!)

Here's a picture he took from his houseboat:

life.if.best.shared.with.friends.with.houseboats.jpg

Or, should I say, his wife's houseboat?

meh...

I love good friends. :)

And, for the noobs, here's a picture from the other end, from my Day after X-mas story.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.europa.com%2F%7Egarry%2Fpf_lbah_Snapshot_2008-12-29_21-05-56.jpg

Don't google it. It involves life, death, and whole lot of pigeon poop. :redface:

Likes Borg
Wow OmCheeto! Where is that place? It looks awesome! *jaw goes down*

EDIT: Even more wow! That place, I like that place. A house over the water, how is that even... just wow...

Psinter said:
Wow OmCheeto! Where is that place? It looks awesome! *jaw goes down*

EDIT: Even more wow! That place, I like that place. A house over the water, how is that even... just wow...
Where?
It's my home.
I was born within yards of this river.
I will most probably die, within the same proximity.
And if not, I hope they sprinkle my ashes, like I've scattered many of my friends ashes.

And then cursed them, when the wind picked up, and dust and sand got in my mouth, and told them...

We won't go there.

As the Brits say; "LANGUAGE!"

OmCheeto said:
Where?
It's my home.
I was born within yards of this river.
I will most probably die, within the same proximity.
And if not, I hope they sprinkle my ashes, like I've scattered many of my friends ashes.

And then cursed them, when the wind picked up, and dust and sand got in my mouth, and told them...

We won't go there.

As the Brits say; "LANGUAGE!"
Hahahaha! :DD

Your home is awesome. I like it.

Psinter said:
Hahahaha! :DD

Your home is awesome. I like it.

It's called, Earth.
I've yet to find a prettier place.
:)
Cheryl.McNurlin.Weber.Photos.2014.12.11.jpg

This image of our planet was distributed by Cheryl McNurlin Weber.
No friend of mine.
Yet.

Likes lisab and drizzle
Lost power last night, along with thousands of my fellow Washingtonians. One tree branch and BOOM, we're back in the 17th century.