Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,996
zoobyshoe said:
I read a 400 page novel today. I got it out of the library about noon and finished it a couple hours ago. That kinda bothers me. I wish they would last longer.
Drop by a B&N and there are 100's to read if you sit there.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,998
On a slightly happier note, yesterday, I had the privilege of rescuing a lost dog.
At around 10 am, my new bff and I were sitting, admiring our "gutter garden" creation,

gg.2.5.2015.aug.jpg

when a young black lab wandered by.
It seemed a bit lost, and hungry, so I fed it.

2015.08.04.ml.nomming.jpg

Probably a mistake, as she decided that she loved me after that.
She had no collar, so my bff and I started by asking some of the local neighbors if they recognized her. Nyet!
The neighbor two houses down, has dogs about her size, so she loaned us a leash, as the dog insisted on sitting in the middle of the road.

2015.08.04.ml.likes.to.sit.in.the.middle.of.the.street.jpg

So we got the leash on her, and she was happy to sit with us, next to the gutter garden.

2015.08.04.blacklab.chow.blue.tongue.jpg

After about an hour of discussing what we should do with her, my bff and I made a trip with "Missy Lu" to the store, as my bff is a great fan of beer, and I didn't have enough for him.
None of the 20 or so people we passed on the trip recognized her.
She didn't answer to "Missy Lu", so we we assumed that was not her given name. I had originally wanted to call her "Lucy", as I no longer have any goldfish by that name. Bff added the "Missy", and we shortened the whole thing to "Missy Lu".

So we got back home, and Missy Lu took a nap.

2015.08.04.dog.trust.jpg

I've never had a dog, but I think this means she REALLY trusted us. I thought that was nice.

Fast forward to about 4 pm, and bff and I are both out of beer, so we decided to be more proactive.
Someone had mentioned earlier, that they thought someone 4 houses down, with a white picket fence, had a black lab.
So bff, Missy Lu, and I, went for another walk.

There was no one home, but their next door neighbor said it was their dog, so we opened the gate, and let Missy Lu loose.
Unfortunately, the next door neighbor's mother said it couldn't possibly be their dog, as their dog barked non-stop, and Missy Lu was quiet as a mouse.
(Except for the time on the way to the store when we passed the house with two very excited Rottweilers, who barked like there was no tomorrow, and Missy Lu barked back. I think that might be how some dogs say; "Hi! Nice to meet you!".)
But bff and I would have no part of the debate, so we went back to the gutter garden.

5 minutes later, a lady from the opposite end of the street, with an empty dog leash in her hand, asked if we'd seen a black lab.
Ooops!
So we all went down to the house with the white picket fence, and the dog was gone!

I can only imagine the conversation between the next door neighbor and her mother:
Neighbor lady; "Are you sure it's not their dog"?
Mom; "100% sure. This dog doesn't bark. Their dog barks like a [expletive deleted]".
Neighbor lady; "What are we going to do? We just had that strange man, and his psychotic looking friend, put the dog in their front yard. They are going to kill us!"
Mom; "Let's let it loose. It'll find its way home".​

Fortunately, another neighbor had spotted Missy Lu going on an adventure down a cul-de-sac, and pointed us in the right direction.

And Missy Lu, and her rightful owner, were reunited. :smile:

As we all got back to the land of the gutter garden, the owner's husband showed up in their SUV.
He had apparently been responsible for watching the dog, and had apparently told his wife that Missy Lu had just escaped.
I think I may have gotten him in a bit of trouble, as I'd told his wife, that we'd been taking care of the dog for the last 6 hours.

The husband seemed a bit eager to leave, but I told him that he owed me and my bff $3.00, for 6 hours of dog sitting, and 2 weeks worth of cat food, that Missy Lu could not seem to get enough off.
It was my bff friend's idea about the reward, but I was just teasing the gentleman.
So when he handed me a $20 bill, I said I was just teasing, as his dog was probably the most delightful dog I'd ever met in my life, and it had been a real privilege to make her acquaintance.
He refused to take the money back.

I don't know what I'll do today.

Last edited:
Likes ShayanJ, Borek and collinsmark
  • #1,999
OmCheeto said:
The husband seemed a bit eager to leave, but I told him that he owed me and my bff $3.00, for 6 hours of dog sitting, and 2 weeks worth of cat food, that Missy Lu could not seem to get enough off.
I would be shameful to tell such a psychological joke to get the money back..:DD .

Be sincere to yourself, do you and your bff really love the dog ?
What is BFF by the way ?

• #2,000
Silicon Waffle said:
What is BFF by the way ?
Usually it means, "best friends forever" ... not always, though... :devil:

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,001
I wouldn't have learned that unless you told me so.
I would only want to advise him to go fetch the dog to help its true owner if he loves Missy Lu.

• #2,002
Seems like people at B&N are playing with my head : every time I go over a book there, wait till next day , see if I want to buy it, the book disappears.

• #2,003
WWGD said:
Seems like people at B&N are playing with my head : every time I go over a book there, wait till next day , see if I want to buy it, the book disappears.
How many years have you been with books ? :oldsmile:

• #2,004
OCR said:
Usually it means, "best friends forever" ... not always, though... :devil:

You got it. :devil:

Bff might be the most anti-social person I've ever met in my life.
He's very much like those old men who sit on their front porches who scream at children in their yards.
But being mobile, in his wheelchair, he has the opportunity, on his trips to the store to get beer, to scream obscenities at everyone along the way.

To passing cars; "Slow down you [string of obscenities]!"
To children playing in their own yards; "You kids stay in your [expletive deleted] yard!"
To passing strangers walking down the street; "Don't even think about it. I'll [expletive deleted] you up!"​

After having sat with him for the last 2 months in my driveway, I've learned his life story.
I would describe it as a life, made up of possibly the most complete list of bad decisions humanly possible.

Some highlights:

At 16, his mother asked him to park the car. Being on acid, he drove it through the back of the garage.
At 18, he was ejected through the windshield of his friends car. They were both drunk. This was the first time he had a hip replacement.
At 35, he was arrested on suspicion of murdering his 2nd wife. I suspect she died of a drug overdose, so he was acquitted.
At 40, he started a 10 year stretch of living on the streets. I think this is where he honed his social skills.
At 50, he joined a marijuana growing commune in northern California. He didn't like that, because the liquor store was too far away.
At 58, he discovered me, and started telling me unbelievable stories. I kind of believe all of them now.​

He insists that we are friends. :oldeyes:

Likes OCR
  • #2,006
HomogenousCow said:
That's quite sad. Whoever did this needs to go get a life.
Note the crumpled beer can where his head used to be. I would guess that alcohol was involved.

• #2,007
HomogenousCow said:
That's quite sad. Whoever did this needs to go get a life.

Our country, needs to get a life.

The inventor, with a premonition:

David Smith said:
It'll probably work in Canada. It would never work here, because here in the States, we would be put in the ditch, or shoot it.

We shouldn't dis on Philly. It was just a matter of time.

Reminds me a bit of that song by the Avett Brothers; "There's a darkness upon us, that's flooded in light, and I'm frightened by those that don't see it...".

ps. It would appear, that I'm having one of those "senior moments" again... :H

• #2,008
Silicon Waffle said:
How many years have you been with books ? :oldsmile:

Now I just spend a few days with the books and then if I like them, I buy them (If I have the $$).

• #2,009
Still having trouble understanding when my Jamaican friend talks. After many years here, he still has that heavy accent.

• #2,010
Oh man, I just found out they're "reviving" the X-Files. Apparently they've shot six brand new episodes that comprise the new first season. I think I'm going to be afraid to watch them for fear it just won't be the same.

• #2,011
WWGD said:
Still having trouble understanding when my Jamaican friend talks. After many years here, he still has that heavy accent.
How could one "pretend" to live a life of someone else for years to later claim that he isn't the one as he used to be just by a change in his accent ?
We can't change our history, some just cling to it always and forever.

• #2,012
zoobyshoe said:
Oh man, I just found out they're "reviving" the X-Files. Apparently they've shot six brand new episodes that comprise the new first season. I think I'm going to be afraid to watch them for fear it just won't be the same.
Look at the bright side- if it turns out to be horrible we can make the horrible pun of calling it 'Oh-God-Y' files.

Likes lisab and Silicon Waffle
  • #2,013
Silicon Waffle said:
How could one "pretend" to live a life of someone else for years to later claim that he isn't the one as he used to be just by a change in his accent ?
We can't change our history, some just cling to it always and forever.

IDK, I have this theory that people who have a heavy accent many years after leaving their homelands are still, at some level, psychologically, living in their homelands and have not moved on. But so many theories I have made have been wrong ...

• #2,014
Changing your accent takes effort and practice. Something most of us are not willing to expend. On the other hand confounding people by talking to them in 3-4 different accents on different occasions is quite fun, because they never can quite figure out your real one. BTW your Jamaican friend probably maintains in his mind, like you do, that his accent is the only true accent-less pronunciation. Everyone else just talks funny. RP and GenAm still count as accents.

• #2,015
Enigman said:
Changing your accent takes effort and practice. Something most of us are not willing to expend. On the other hand confounding people by talking to them in 3-4 different accents on different occasions is quite fun, because they never can quite figure out your real one. BTW your Jamaican friend probably maintains in his mind, like you do, that his accent is the only true accent-less pronunciation. Everyone else just talks funny. RP and GenAm still count as accents.
I save the weirdest accents, lisps and extreme stuttering for telemarketers.

Around 5th time this week that I almost (subconsciusly) hand my house keys to an attractive cashier when I meant to give her my credit card. I don't think any of them saw me handling the keys, though.

• #2,016
WWGD said:
[...]

Around 5th time this week that I almost (subconsciusly) hand my house keys to an attractive cashier when I meant to give her my credit card. I don't think any of them saw me handling the keys, though.
What happened next would be very thrilling!
:biggrin:

• #2,017
I got my wisdom teeth out today. I've never been put out like that (general anesthesia). I think medical technology is remarkable in that I was having a conversation and the next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room. If this were 200 years ago, they would've just given me a bottle of whiskey.

Then I realized that 200 years from now, they may be saying "hah! 200 years ago the dentists actually had to cut wisdom teeth out of people's skulls! Now we just teleport them out!"

That, or we could be altering the genome so people aren't born with them anymore.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,018
Today was a cornucopia of randomness.
It ended, at least up to this point, with me buying 3 goldfish, 20 white clouds, and some frilly aquatic plant.
With the garden complete, and the harvest in, I figured I'd be bored without randomness to watch.

ps. Missy Lu showed up again today. She didn't stay long this time. But I did get a chance to feed her. Gads, I love that dog. :smile:

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,019
Silicon Waffle said:
What happened next would be very thrilling!
:biggrin:
Sadly not too much so. I got my Frap crunch and sat down. Sorry to fizzle after a good buildup.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,020
Show "Num3rs" seems to push boundaries of believability at times. Lead scientist/Mathematician makes claims like : " I know the culprit is 5'10" , with an Austrian accent, and he overeats grapes". When asked why: " Look at the napkin he left by his coffee cup. It makes a 30 deg. angle and it has a tear right by the coffee stain..."(elaborate --supposedly Mathematics-based-- theory connecting the two) "

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,021
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/12th-dimensional-hypothetical-novelty-symmetry.827252/

crackpot index is over 9000 here.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,022
  • #2,023
Had kind of a nasty exchange with a beggar today. He asked for my "spare change" ( because I guess I was going to throw the change in the trash anyway), which was around 35 cents. He seemed unsatisfied with the amount and then said something to the effect that he was sure that if he pulled a gun on me, he would find I had more than 35 cents on me. I replied: if I pulled a gun on you, I am sure I would find out you don't need the cane you are using and that at least half the story you are telling me is false.

• #2,024
WWGD said:
Had kind of a nasty exchange with a beggar today. He asked for my "spare change" ( because I guess I was going to throw the change in the trash anyway), which was around 35 cents. He seemed unsatisfied with the amount and then said something to the effect that he was sure that if he pulled a gun on me, he would find I had more than 35 cents on me.
Hard to believe a guy with such a winning personality end up as a beggar.

• #2,025
Here's a tale I heard today, from a guy at a coffee house:

This guy worked at a water park in N.J. Big, long water slides lead down into a lake. One day, a couple customers point out to this employee a kind of dark, inverted bowl-like shape floating on the water. He has no idea what it is, but jokes with them that it's the resident lake turtle, and he forgets all about it.

Later a small kid on a boogie board paddles up to it and finds out it's the top of a drowned man's head. He's been floating there dead all day with just the top of his shaven head above water.

• #2,026
...little, tiny potatoes...

• #2,027
zoobyshoe said:
Here's a tale I heard today, from a guy at a coffee house:

This guy worked at a water park in N.J. Big, long water slides lead down into a lake. One day, a couple customers point out to this employee a kind of dark, inverted bowl-like shape floating on the water. He has no idea what it is, but jokes with them that it's the resident lake turtle, and he forgets all about it.

Later a small kid on a boogie board paddles up to it and finds out it's the top of a drowned man's head. He's been floating there dead all day with just the top of his shaven head above water.

Maybe (the new ) Mulder and Scully can figure out what happened ?

• #2,028
WWGD said:
Maybe (the new ) Mulder and Scully can figure out what happened ?
I want to believe the truth is out there. Let's sit and smoke a Morley and ponder it.

• #2,029
He sounds so cute and sweet.

• #2,030
Maybe Kylie (formerly Bruce) Jenner could work for Armani (S)ex change... Wonder if Hallmark has a card for this one : Congratulations on your new mom?

Likes Silicon Waffle