Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,171
Katrina + 10 years
Reporting Hurricane Katrina: How covering the story swept journalists into the drama
http://news.yahoo.com/covering-katr...ushed-reporters-into-the-story-124812004.html

George W. Bush visits disaster zone, 10 years after Katrina
http://news.yahoo.com/bush-returns-orleans-10th-anniversary-katrina-110219105.html#

Race and its role in New Orleans' recovery 10 years later
https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/katrina-anniversary-recovery-lower-ninth-ward-to-127726051723.html

3 Views On A Tragedy: Reporters Recall First Days After Katrina
http://www.npr.org/2015/08/29/435623921/3-views-on-a-tragedy-reporters-recall-first-days-after-KatrinaAmerica's Deadliest Storm : Documentary on the 2005 Hurricane Katrina Disaster (Full Documentary, Published on May 7, 2015)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,172
Here's the way to write an opening sentence to a novel:

"On the third day of their honeymoon, infamous environmental activist Stewie Woods and his new bride, Annabel Belotti, were spiking trees in the forest when a cow exploded and blew them up."

-Savage Run
by C.J. Box

• #2,173
Is this too formal to use in a conversation ?
Have you any ideas about my patient symptoms, please contact Mr.Odaka for further information and assistance.

• #2,174
zoobyshoe said:
Here's the way to write an opening sentence to a novel:

"On the third day of their honeymoon, infamous environmental activist Stewie Woods and his new bride, Annabel Belotti, were spiking trees in the forest when a cow exploded and blew them up."

-Savage Run
by C.J. Box

And you can then append:
Have you any ideas about my patient symptoms, please contact Mr.Odaka for further information and assistance.

You practically have a full novel there.

• #2,175
WWGD said:
And you can then append:

You practically have a full novel there.
No his story is about blowing the brain out, whereas mine is about grammar. I guess you mean such a statement can only be used in written English. But please I insist on its use in speaking too. :redface:

• #2,176
Silicon Waffle said:
No his story is about blowing the brain out, whereas mine is about grammar. I guess you mean such a statement can only be used in written English. But please I insist on its use in speaking too. :redface:
I would think just to substitute : "Have you" with "If you have"

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,177
OmCheeto said:
Ugh.
I have to go crabbing now.
Not sure when I'll be back.
Ciao!

I have been crabbing with the same people, at the same place, for 24 years.
On my first trip, I spent about $200, and got 1 crab out of the deal. Not very economical, but quite a lot of fun.
I don't remember taking any crab home over the next 24 years.

On this trip, lasting two days, which consisted of 7 friends, with two boats, the boat I was on, caught this many crab.
2015.08.26.this.many.crab.jpg

The other boat caught 7 crab, even though they were using the same type bait(chicken), and had twice as many traps.

My explanation, is Karma.
The captain of my boat is Native American, and I've been harping on: "the Great Law of the Iroquois - which holds appropriate to think seven generations ahead (about 140 years into the future) and decide whether the decisions they make today would benefit their children seven generations into the future." since the day I heard of it.

Other theories on the disparity in catches:
1. It was my captains birthday.
2. Our boat was using Foster Farms chicken thighs(high end, fresh, locally grown, not frozen), while the other boat used Dollar Store chicken legs, and 8 year old freezer burned Shad.
3. The other boat was painted like an Orca, which was meant to chase away the sea lions, but apparently also scares the bejezzits out of crab.
crab.scaring.boat.jpg

4. The other boat had very old crab traps, and probably smelled like dead crabs. I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that smelled like dead humans either.ps. Although, mathematically, I should have been entitled to 18 crab, I was only allowed to take home 6. Probably a good move on their part. It was quite the chore last night, as an amateur, to finish the job. But it is quite tasty.
pps. This trip only cost me $20, so it appears to be getting more economical. :smile:

• #2,178
OmCheeto said:
3. The other boat was painted like an Orca, which was meant to chase away the sea lions, but apparently also scares the bejezzits out of crab.
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.europa.com%2F%257Egarry%2Fcrab.scaring.boat.jpg
They probably would have done better with something like this.

Orcajump-548x550.jpg

image from http://threesheetsnw.com/blog/2012/01/orca-boat-seriously/

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,179
OmCheeto said:
My explanation, is Karma.

Indeed if you've ever fished with children you know the universe is quite aware of who we are.
Professional fishing guides used to ask my teenage daughter what she was doing different as she single-handedly filled the cooler with our limit of redfish.

• #2,180
jim hardy said:
Indeed if you've ever fished with children you know the universe is quite aware of who we are.
Professional fishing guides used to ask my teenage daughter what she was doing different as she single-handedly filled the cooler with our limit of redfish.

Ugh!

I've just been invited over to the captain's house. They took home about 50 crab yesterday, and have requested my assistance.
Life is good, and then you die.

ps. We had a nasty windstorm this morning, so their power is out. The captain told me that she vacuum seals her crab, so we wouldn't be able to vacuum seal it. I'll be taking my deep cycle battery and DC to AC converter along. Life is even better, when you are prepared for everything. :smile:

• #2,182
They closed a beach here in San Diego today when a 10 foot hammerhead shark popped up by some kayakers.

Likes lisab and Silicon Waffle
  • #2,183
Mouth inflammation is mostly over. I had cut myself ( no joke) eating an extra-sharp multi-grain chip and even bled as a result. I ended up with a major inflammation that has lasted around 3 weeks. Now it is almost gone and I can eat without pain.

Likes lisab
  • #2,185
WWGD said:
Mouth inflammation is mostly over. I had cut myself ( no joke) eating an extra-sharp multi-grain chip and even bled as a result. I ended up with a major inflammation that has lasted around 3 weeks. Now it is almost gone and I can eat without pain.
?:) My gosh so you haven't been eating tarcos or spicy foods for weeks; I hope you have been able to still dink some milk and enjoy making some sandwiches, anything salt-free.

• #2,186
Silicon Waffle said:
?:) My gosh so you haven't been eating tarcos or spicy foods for weeks; I hope you have been able to still dink some milk and enjoy making some sandwiches, anything salt-free.
Even eating bananas was painful. I had some soups at soup place, good but difficult in hot temperatures. Only so much Gazpacho I can eat, thanks.

EDIT: But I also did not get to look cool, like I would if I had said I got into a fight and someone broke my mouth, or I was surfing, etc. It is just a stupid accident and everyone gives me a look like "what kind of freak", ha ha, I should have made something more interesting up. I bumped into one of the Hell's Angels, who challenged me...

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,187
EDIT: But I also did not get to look cool, like I would if I had said I got into a fight and someone broke my mouth, or I was surfing, etc. It is just a stupid accident and everyone gives me a look like "what kind of freak", ha ha, I should have made something more interesting up. I bumped into one of the Hell's Angels, who challenged me...
Yes, you can also find out people's true hearts for you by that.:nb) I do it sometimes, and positively (I am not lying to get their attention or so, I would only want to learn if they love me so)

• #2,188
Woman describes what it was like to be the only survivor of a flight obliterated by a thunderstorm - Just Wow!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/woman-describes-only-survivor-flight-133000712.html

Now that is Divine Intervention, if ever.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,189
Astronuc said:
Woman describes what it was like to be the only survivor of a flight obliterated by a thunderstorm - Just Wow!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/woman-describes-only-survivor-flight-133000712.html

Now that is Divine Intervention, if ever.
Why wasn't there then an intervention to save all others in the flight?

• #2,190
God's Rescue !

• #2,191
Enigman said:
Off to find Red Rackham's treasure?
I had to Google. So I really couldn't say. But I like the comics artwork; compliments of wikipedia. :approve:

The_Adventures_of_Tintin_-_12_-_Red_Rackham%27s_Treasure.jpg

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,192
Joseph Kim: I didn't mean to throw you a heavy topic at the beginning. Growing up in North Korea, my father died of starvation when I was 12 years old. I became homeless around that age. So back then, the world — the entire world and dream and everything was associated with food. But now that I came to the states, I just didn't realize that I hadn't eaten anything until today, until you asked me... I think it's a very ironic that I forget. The fact is that even at this moment, there are so many other North Korean boys and girls who are still — the dream is still to be able to have a full three meals a day.
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/wealth-poverty/joseph-kims-escape-north-korea

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,193
Enigman said:
Off to find Red Rackham's treasure?

Herge's Tintin is a great series, only a Bachibazuk protoplasm would not like it,

• #2,194
Has anyone noticed that in "MY PF" and also in settings, the section for changing preferences is named "alert preferences" instead of "alter preferences"?

• #2,195
Shyan said:
Has anyone noticed that in "MY PF" and also in settings, the section for changing preferences is named "alert preferences" instead of "alter preferences"?
Alert Preferences. It's all about alerts.

• #2,196
Silicon Waffle said:
Alert Preferences. It's all about alerts.
Oh...right!

• #2,197
You have to wonder what some people were expecting; they are called “ruins,” after all:

Who goes to Mayan ruins expecting a day at the beach? This visitor, that’s who!

“If you like old rocks then this is the place for you. I found it so boring and hot. There was no real beach within the ruins site so you can’t just dip in and cool off. There is a beach on the other side but it’s a long walk away. Yes the views are nice, but I found them just as nice from my beach lounger. Not worth a day trip.“
LOL

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/im-not-impressed-funniest-bad-reviews-of-the-127421773872.html

• #2,198
Shyan said:
Maybe you should alter a mentor about it ;).

• #2,199
My visa application was delayed because my bank statement showed that I had more funds in that account than was required. What the hell?

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,200
I've just had Shaun Tan's 'The Arrival' delivered. A wordless picture book at heart, it's a piece of art nonetheless. I seriously wish I had kids to sit with them and the book, and wander through its pages together. It almost feels wasted on a jaded, adult mind.

• #2,201
HomogenousCow said:
My visa application was delayed because my bank statement showed that I had more funds in that account than was required. What the hell?

I had the most delightful conversation with myself, regarding your post.
At first, I thought you were moving from Greece, and were attempting to smuggle all your money out of the country.
Then, I saw that your profile said you lived in China, and thought about the stock market, and thought the same thing.
Then, I realized that you were talking about a credit card "Visa", vs a passporty type "Visa", which made me laugh at myself.

Perhaps the banks have figured out that too many people have figured out how to play the "rewards" game.
My friends were all bragging about that this last week.
One bought a $30k boat with 3 credit cards, made a bazillion dollars worth of "rewards" points, and then paid off all her credit cards at the end of the month, with the money from her savings account.
Ha!

• #2,202
OmCheeto said:
I had the most delightful conversation with myself, regarding your post.
At first, I thought you were moving from Greece, and were attempting to smuggle all your money out of the country.
Then, I saw that your profile said you lived in China, and thought about the stock market, and thought the same thing.
Then, I realized that you were talking about a credit card "Visa", vs a passporty type "Visa", which made me laugh at myself.

Perhaps the banks have figured out that too many people have figured out how to play the "rewards" game.
My friends were all bragging about that this last week.
One bought a $30k boat with 3 credit cards, made a bazillion dollars worth of "rewards" points, and then paid off all her credit cards at the end of the month, with the money from her savings account.
Ha!

No I'm talking about a visa for immigration, going to college in a month.
The morons over at the British embassy apparently don't understand how money works.

EDIT: To anyone reading this out of context, I have nothing against the UK

Last edited:
  • #2,203
HomogenousCow said:
I can help you. Send me all the extra, so you have the right amount.

• #2,204
HomogenousCow said:
No I'm talking about a visa for immigration, going to college in a month.
The morons over at the British embassy apparently don't understand how money works.

This makes it even funnier!
It, um..., I can't even comment on how, um...

I have nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Yours is the magnum opus of a non sequitur.
You should be proud, and find a way to frame this moment.

• #2,205
OmCheeto said:
This makes it even funnier!
It, um..., I can't even comment on how, um...

I have nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Yours is the magnum opus of a non sequitur.
You should be proud, and find a way to frame this moment.

Was that unintentionally funny?