Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,276
Astronuc said:
30 military cadets hurt in West Point pillow fight - Seriously!?
http://news.yahoo.com/30-military-cadets-hurt-west-point-pillow-fight-055055865.html

And these young men are supposed to be proud of themselves?

Building esprit de corps is fine, but is it really necessary to batter one another to do so?

It is apparently an annual tradition since 1897.

Is the stuffing with hard parts part of the tradition, or something more recent? Maybe those who did the stuffing should be made to sleep with those stuffed pillows.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,278
Careful what one wishes for, or don't bite off more than one can chew.

http://www.grindtv.com/random/shawn...lder-for-ride-on-61-foot-wave-at-cortes-bank/

But - http://www.grindtv.com/surf/big-wave-surfer-shawn-dollar-breaks-neck-surfing-accident/

Some exceptional waves at Cortes Bank.
Cortes Bank is a shallow seamount (a barely submerged island) in the North Pacific Ocean. It is 96 miles southwest of San Pedro, Los Angeles, 111 miles (166 kilometers) west of Point Loma San Diego, USA, and 47 miles (82 kilometers) south-west of San Clemente Island
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortes_Bank

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,279
I remember how badly and wildly I reacted and "felt" after I mistook the cat with my dog. If I am to be treated with the same experiment or so, I am afraid I will become mad, mentally ill.

Last edited:
  • #2,281
jim hardy said:
might be actually titled "The Great War Diary"

Just to follow up Jim. I did check that out and I actually really liked the "Great War Diary series." So I think we're on the same page there. The one I was thinking about that I wasn't really impressed with was the series "Our World War." This is another series on WW1. There was about 3 episodes, you can search it on Netflix. I just didn't think it was well-crafted. A little too hyper-dramatic for my taste.

Likes jim hardy
  • #2,282
nuuskur said:
On the bright side, the potatoes are already clean more or less, not covered in semi-dry mud thing thing, the rain's washed the surface. Much easier to peel clean potatoes.

Funny you should mention that. I just got through cleaning a russet potato. It's baking in my toaster oven right now. Lightly salted and covered in extra virgin olive oil (first cold pressed). I always leave the skin on. I don't think I've peeled a potato in 30 years. It's going to take about 50 minutes because I like them crisp and well done, yum.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-bake-a-potato-in-the-oven-165615

Just a little butter and sour cream, that's it. In about 40 minutes, I'm going to smack a big ribeye steak on my cast iron grill pan so it looks like I BBQ'd it on the grill :wink:

Again, all you need is to just lightly salt the ribeye. Less is more. Just 3-4 minutes on each side. Nice and medium rare. Mmmm

Oh, I forgot to add, I try to have a vegetable with every meal, if I'm not just outright juicing. So tonight I'm having collard greens with this meal, believe it or not, because I forgot to buy broccoli, which what I usually have with a steak.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,283
I eat tomatos every day. Yumme

• #2,284
Hollow and throbbing with echoes.

• #2,285
Mate has been a good substitute for coffee.

• #2,286
  • #2,287
I go for foods that are supposed to be anti-inflammation: almonds, tuna, yogurt that I know off. Is tomato anti-inflammatory, meaning it reduces general inflammation?

• #2,288
The more I heat up my tea leaves, the blacker the water becomes. Something's wrong about them

• #2,289
WWGD said:
almonds, tuna, yogurt

Mmmm, I love tuna. Don't get me started there. But you have to be careful because of the mercury. Yogurt is great also. I'm kind of a throwback to the old popular "zone" diet. Remember that one? I only retained 2 things from that diet. The only breakfast I ever eat is a small bowl of lowfat PLAIN yogurt. A small cup of diluted orange juice, and 2 tablespoons of fresh-pressed flax seed oil. The actual zone diet calls for non-fat yogurt, but most non-fat yogurts have additives to make up for the "non-fatness." SO I just eat the lowfat. The other thing I retained from the zone diet was a salad for lunch with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Which I usually put some chicken in. SO I don't do this every day, of course, the salad that is, I do the yogurt pretty much every day because it's easy.

I think the "zone" guy's name was Barry Sears or something. My dad turned me on to him and we really liked him and followed his recipe for success...until we found out that he developed a new wrinkle cream that he was marketing, and then we just thought he lost all credibility. Oy veh!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Forget the almonds, it's walnuts that really have the big health benefits. I grind those babies up in my juicer.

• #2,290
DiracPool said:
Tomatoes are great for prostate health. I eat about a (half) dozen a day o0)

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28950093
Not at quite that age, yet, to worry about prostates and other complicated words. :D

• #2,291
After reading some PF post, I'm glad I can bite my tongue.

• #2,292
Country Crock has changed the shape of its container from round to rectangular. I suppose this is to fit more into a carton, or to make the cartons smaller. Anyway, it was a surprise.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,293
zoobyshoe said:
Country Crock has changed the shape of its container from round to rectangular. I suppose this is to fit more into a carton, or to make the cartons smaller. Anyway, it was a surprise.

What a crock!

• #2,294
Yes, that's what the country crock actually is. (I told you ?:))

• #2,295
OmCheeto said:
Ugh.
I have to go crabbing now.
Not sure when I'll be back.
Ciao!

And now I have to go to the coast to look at cars drive by.
I do that everyday!

Ciao.

• #2,297
OmCheeto said:
And now I have to go to the coast to look at cars drive by.
You live out there ? Beautiful !

Fair Anne loves the smoked oysters at Merino's in Westport, next bay North..

Small world indeed.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,298
DiracPool said:
Funny you should mention that. I just got through cleaning a russet potato. It's baking in my toaster oven right now. Lightly salted and covered in extra virgin olive oil (first cold pressed). I always leave the skin on. I don't think I've peeled a potato in 30 years. It's going to take about 50 minutes because I like them crisp and well done, yum.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-bake-a-potato-in-the-oven-165615

Just a little butter and sour cream, that's it. In about 40 minutes, I'm going to smack a big ribeye steak on my cast iron grill pan so it looks like I BBQ'd it on the grill :wink:

Again, all you need is to just lightly salt the ribeye. Less is more. Just 3-4 minutes on each side. Nice and medium rare. Mmmm

Oh, I forgot to add, I try to have a vegetable with every meal, if I'm not just outright juicing. So tonight I'm having collard greens with this meal, believe it or not, because I forgot to buy broccoli, which what I usually have with a steak.

Good idea about vegetables. I try to have at least a small serving of vegetables and one of fruits every day. Luckily there is a guy nearby with a stand selling both .

• #2,299
For some reason I don't understand, I have (implicitly --till recently) decided I don't like wraps. Never tried them, but somehow I "dont like them".

• #2,300
Wraps are yummy, if they are well made.

• #2,301
I would only consider trying the yo MTV wraps.

• #2,302
Finally got rid of the flies in my place. It is now a no-fly zone.

• #2,303
WWGD said:
Finally got rid of the flies in my place. It is now a no-fly zone.

In Washington state they have all these barista stands everywhere. They're these little shacks littered all over the sides of the road. Seems likes there's one on every corner. They have a big problem in the summertime with honeybees swarming these places because of all the syrups they use to mix the fancy drinks. Every time I drive up to one of these stands I roll down my window to order my drink and then roll it back up quickly before one or two of these bees Stuka dive bomb into my car. You can see the baristas swatting them and cursing, flinging themselves around. It's surreal. One girl told me the other day that she just used to ignore them because we're supposed to protect the honeybees, etc. That was until she got stung on the neck. Now she just smashes them on sight. Lol.

Likes WWGD
  • #2,304
Just got this weird message from Chrome:

Download Limit Exceeded

You have exceeded your daily download allowance.

?
Obviously I cannot search within Chrome what it means.

• #2,305
It seems you caught a virus.

• #2,306
I was debating with myself whether I liked Heineken or Budweiser better, and I decided that I liked the king of beers better..

• #2,307
Bah, don't like Heineken. Best beer I have had is Czech, I can't remember exactly the name, something-or-other Pilsner Nefiltrovany.

• #2,308
Problem with Summer and coffee shops is the cold drinks, that disappear quickly. When the drink is hot, one has to wait for a while, nurse the drink for some time. When drinks are ices, one just slurps half a drink in a few seconds, the second half is gone just as fast. Problem too, when you have 4 shots of caffeine going into your system within around 5 minutes, instead of being distributed more gradually over time.

• #2,309
Woke up to an incoming call on my landline at 3 am yesterday. Turned out to be one of the most disturbing phone calls I've ever taken.
This little kid (I think, not sure) sounded like he was crying and was saying stuff like: (all this was in Chinese)
"Dad I'm in trouble"
"You got to help me"
"I got beat up"
I was confused and he hung up after he realized it was a wrong number.

• #2,310
HomogenousCow said:
Woke up to an incoming call on my landline at 3 am yesterday. Turned out to be one of the most disturbing phone calls I've ever taken.
This little kid (I think, not sure) sounded like he was crying and was saying stuff like: (all this was in Chinese)
"Dad I'm in trouble"
"You got to help me"
"I got beat up"
I was confused and he hung up after he realized it was a wrong number.

That's awful - like a bad dream. Did you get back to sleep?