Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #3,256
blue_leaf77 said:
Just noticed now there is a red, close button at the upper right of the profile panel when you click on someone's username. Why should it be there when it's much quicker to click on anywhere outside the panel to close it?
I guess it only is due to an imminent endeavor for theoretical completeness: occupational disease.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,257
Interesting: It seems like an obstacle to learning is that our minds are wired , for survival, to detect
differences, and not sameness. So it would seem like making it a point to find distinctions in the
material would help in this sense.

• #3,258
WWGD said:
Interesting: It seems like an obstacle to learning is that our minds are wired , for survival, to detect
differences, and not sameness. So it would seem like making it a point to find distinctions in the
material would help in this sense.
Same difference, dude.

• #3,259
zoobyshoe said:
Same difference, dude.
I disagree: Different sameness is more like it. I guess we can find some Buddhist monks to duke it out and decide which one is right.

• #3,260
WWGD said:
I disagree: Different sameness is more like it. I guess we can find some Buddhist monks to duke it out and decide which one is right.
I think you might be right.

• #3,261
zoobyshoe said:
I think you might be right.
But we may have to wait until they can describe the sound of one hand clapping, I heard there still on that one.

• #3,262
WWGD said:
But we may have to wait until they can describe the sound of one hand clapping, I heard there still on that one.
I guess there's still no difference between the sound of "there" and "they're," though.

• #3,263
zoobyshoe said:
I guess there's still no difference between the sound of "there" and "they're," though.

Yes, Buddhist monks, that's what there about. At least that's what someone said they're.

• #3,264
zoobyshoe said:
... and 'their' as well.
Then again there is 'wind'(air) and 'wind'(eg, a clock), which are pronounced differently

• #3,265
WWGD said:
Yes, Buddhist monks, that's what there about. At least that's what someone said they're.
I think I might report this.

• #3,267
WWGD said:
It sounds like the wing beats of a pig on take off, so I read.

Likes zoobyshoe
  • #3,269
somewebsiteIfound said:
The transistor comes in many forms but its most striking or distinguishing characteristic is its having three leads (or terminals) unlike the resistor, capacitor, or diode. It is sometimes regarded as a combination of two diodes joined together on either their positive or negative terminals, thereby, resulting into a component with three terminals.

Does this mean if you have two diodes you can make a transistor out of them?

• #3,271
Woohoo. I'm signed up for 6 private lessons of Tai Chi.

Prepare for very gentle butt whoopings!

Likes nuuskur
  • #3,272
Ohh, Tai Chi - you will know what sore arms feel like :)

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #3,273
Someone just linked to this painting on Facebook. I found it to be spooky. It's called, "Euglena."

Screen shot 2015-12-13 at 2.34.09 PM.png

Likes Silicon Waffle and collinsmark
  • #3,274
dkotschessaa said:
Woohoo. I'm signed up for 6 private lessons of Tai Chi.

Prepare for very gentle butt whoopings!
I started it karate at one point but drop it after like a week. All I remember is how to do the shouting.

• #3,275
Seems like either today or yesterday is/was the 100th birth anniversary of Frank Sinatra, Chairman of the Bored.

• #3,276
zoobyshoe said:
Someone just linked to this painting on Facebook. I found it to be spooky. It's called, "Euglena."

View attachment 93324

My mom received a sculpture of an owl a few years back. She kept it by her bedside and had to throw it out after she would wake up halfway through the night , EDIT just to be staring at the owl's face glowing in the dark, which would freak her out. Quite a weird gift to be giving, I would say.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,278
jim hardy said:
"flagellate protists" sounds like a cult, maybe a sexual one. Editr: BTW, it is possible to use standard words to write a Math paper called: "Ball-packing in Fock spaces of Tight Curvature". I may just use the title for the next one I write.

Last edited:
  • #3,279
WWGD said:
"flagellate protists" sounds like a cult, maybe a sexual one.
A wide spread one: single cell sex! Not to be confused with sex sells. Btw: when did we switch from simple cell division to sexual reproduction and who is to blame?

• #3,280
fresh_42 said:
A wide spread one: single cell sex! Not to be confused with sex sells. Btw: when did we switch from simple cell division to sexual reproduction and who is to blame?
Don't blame it on me, I just wrote the post!

• #3,281
AHC , "American Heroes Channel" finally showing a documentary on WW1 after showing docs. on WW2 almost 24/7.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,282
fresh_42 said:
I blame zygotes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zygote

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,283
Current temperature at the South Pole: -20 F, -29 C.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,284
zoobyshoe said:
Current temperature at the South Pole: -20 F, -29 C.
Temperature at the North Pole is -15F, -26 C . EDIT
http://climatekids.nasa.gov/polar-temperatures/
It seems, on average, South Pole is colder than North Pole.
EDIT2: I am too lazy to check why they cite a single number when one asks for temperature, as if temperature was uniform throughout both poles.

Last edited:
  • #3,285
I know it is just meant for ratings, but I still get upset when I hear:

1) " The lie detector determined" . Lie detectors are little more than electronic Ouija boards

2) "Alien theorists believe that..." An alien theorist; theorist used in the loosest possible sense of someone having a theory, theory in the loosest sense of putting together ideas at random to see if anything sticks. No research, no data, just a "What if ", without support.

I should have been jaded by now, but somehow I am not.

• #3,286
Just read: US town rejects solar farm amid worries it would "suck up all the energy from the Sun" - Woodland, NC.
Still asking myself whether we have 1st of April.

• #3,287
WWGD said:
I... theorist used in the loosest possible sense of someone having a theory ...
Unfortunately the word 'theory', while having a definite meaning in science - as an coherent explanation of something,
it is also commonly used in general conversion to mean just 'an idea', no matter how crazy and unsupportable it may be.
I think that usage is acceptable as spoken English, but it does confuse things that there are theories which are acceptable science, and other which are not science and don't pretend to be.
Such as 'My theory is that team X will win the trophy this year', acceptable English, but not a theory in the scientific meaning.

Likes PWiz
  • #3,288
rootone said:
Unfortunately the word 'theory', while having a definite meaning in science - as an coherent explanation of something,
it is also commonly used in general conversion to mean just 'an idea', no matter how crazy and unsupportable it may be.
Seriously, the word is abused so much these days.

• #3,289
rootone said:
Yes! One of the most favorite replies I've read on online discussions about evolution was: "It is only a theory. Not proven." You can fill entertaining evenings upsetting the trolls.

• #3,290
Yes, Evolution " Is just a theory". I think this is formally called a fallacy of equivocation.