Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #3,361
WWGD said:
Most prosperous and peaceful place in a dangerous and troubled region with guerrillas and inner fighting. I would like to visit.

Indeed. They've done a fantastic job.

Just don't drive at night unless you know where you're going, because the names of the roads aren't marked. Oh, and there are dogs, chickens, bicycles, horses, children, mopeds, pedestrians, goats, buses driven by maniacs, and iguana all out in the evening hours and beyond.

Plus the speed limit changes every kilometer. But no worries, sweetie -- the place is truly magical.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,362
lisab said:
Plus the speed limit changes every kilometer.
Strange. I had this feeling in the US, too.

• #3,363
fresh_42 said:
Unfortunately not. They almost run completely on renewable energy, have a nice culture with their fairies and goblins. But the language is horror!
Whole country is the size of a smallish town , around 350,000. Wonder what life in such a small population would be like. Eben stranger, I assume would be to live in those island nations of around 10-20 square miles, where you can never walk more than a few miles without hitting the edge of the country (meaning here the sea), your whole life taking place within less than 2 miles from your home.

• #3,364
Iceland is not that small. And you can jump between America and Europe! What is really weird is their rotten shark that they eat.

• #3,365
fresh_42 said:
Iceland is not that small. And you can jump between America and Europe! What is really weird is their rotten shark that they eat.
I meant small population-wise, whole country has around 350,000 people.

• #3,366
But that might be a cure for you. Once you've tried their rotten shark you will never ever again complain about your sausages :smile:

• #3,367
I just started getting into the "gourmet bread" thing. Lately, I've been dropping 6 dollars a loaf. Wait, that did not come out right...I mean the store has been pinching me for 6 dollars a loaf..That didn't come out right either. In any case, I've been paying 6 dollars for a loaf of Dave's killer "Powerseed" bread. It says on the label that it's only sweetened with fruit juices, apple, pear, and orange I think. And everything in it is organic and GLUTEN FREE! :woot: Not that I care, they can put the gluten back in and charge me a dollar or two less, that's fine with me. Most of the cheaper breads have sugar or high fructose corn syrup in them or at best, molasses. When you hit 40, I think you start reading the food labels more.

Dave's killer bread is delicious, that's why I buy it. Even though it's 6 dollars a loaf I typically end up eating the whole loaf whereas with the cheaper bread I typically end up throwing out the majority of the loaf, so that's how I justify paying the extra money. The only concern I have is that Dave is a criminal. That's why he calls it "killer" bread. He did 15 years in prison for god knows what and he boasts that 1/3 of his employees are ex-prisoners. That kind of makes me a little uncomfortable because I don't want some ex-con brewing some "surprise" in my slice. However, the other bread companies haven't risen to the challenge yet, so, for now, I guess I'just have to take that chance..

• #3,368
I want to appeal to those individuals in this community that are 40 years of age or over. My question is that, do you notice that as you get older songs seem to stick in your head for longer than when you were younger? When I was in my teens and 20's, I used to get songs stuck in my head all the time, but typically they'd only get stuck for a day or two and then I'd get a different song stuck in my head. These days I get songs stuck in my head for a week or two at a time!

My apologies, but I am going to torment you with the latest ear-candy song I can't seem to ditch:

• #3,369
DiracPool said:
I just started getting into the "gourmet bread" thing. Lately, I've been dropping 6 dollars a loaf. Wait, that did not come out right...I mean the store has been pinching me for 6 dollars a loaf..That didn't come out right either. In any case, I've been paying 6 dollars for a loaf of Dave's killer "Powerseed" bread. It says on the label that it's only sweetened with fruit juices, apple, pear, and orange I think. And everything in it is organic and GLUTEN FREE! :woot: Not that I care, they can put the gluten back in and charge me a dollar or two less, that's fine with me. Most of the cheaper breads have sugar or high fructose corn syrup in them or at best, molasses. When you hit 40, I think you start reading the food labels more.

Dave's killer bread is delicious, that's why I buy it. Even though it's 6 dollars a loaf I typically end up eating the whole loaf whereas with the cheaper bread I typically end up throwing out the majority of the loaf, so that's how I justify paying the extra money. The only concern I have is that Dave is a criminal. That's why he calls it "killer" bread. He did 15 years in prison for god knows what and he boasts that 1/3 of his employees are ex-prisoners. That kind of makes me a little uncomfortable because I don't want some ex-con brewing some "surprise" in my slice. However, the other bread companies haven't risen to the challenge yet, so, for now, I guess I'just have to take that chance..

Have you ever bought an "escape loaf" meant for someone else? I mean, a loaf that contains equipment to help the recipient escape? Plenty of iron on that loaf, I would say. And I assume you're not using euphemisms when you refer to Dave "pinching your loaf" :) (any statement can be made into innuendo).

• #3,370
lisab said:
Indeed. They've done a fantastic job.

Just don't drive at night unless you know where you're going, because the names of the roads aren't marked. Oh, and there are dogs, chickens, bicycles, horses, children, mopeds, pedestrians, goats, buses driven by maniacs, and iguana all out in the evening hours and beyond.

Plus the speed limit changes every kilometer. But no worries, sweetie -- the place is truly magical.

Just curious, can you get by without a car in San Jose, I mean, is public transportation good-enough for that?

• #3,371
WWGD said:
And I assume you're not using euphemisms when you refer to Dave "pinching your loaf" :) (any statement can be made into innuendo).

Thank you for the visualization of my cellmate, Dave, pinching off my loaf. I really didn't that, WWGD ?:) If you don't watch yourself, I'm going to give you another disco song you'll never be able to get out of your head

• #3,372
DiracPool said:
Thank you for the visualization of my cellmate, Dave, pinching off my loaf. I really didn't that, WWGD ?:)

Yes, sorry, I was a bit bored and resorted to cheap jokes :).

• #3,373
lisab said:
My new favorite drink is rum :woot:.
You lucky girl. Welcome home.

I can visualize this growing around your apple trees,
Sorghum.jpg

which you turn into this,
192px-Bottle_of_Molasses.jpg

then distill into this,
image_1316201_full.jpe

• #3,374
dlgoff said:
You lucky girl. Welcome home.

I can visualize this growing around your apple trees,
Sorghum.jpg

which you turn into this,
192px-Bottle_of_Molasses.jpg

then distill into this,
image_1316201_full.jpe

So it seems like Don likes Ron (Centenario, at least).

Likes dlgoff
  • #3,375
One is to push, sadden or anger, the other is to appease.
One says relax, the other asks for contributed efforts, weekly, monthly, yearly.
:DD

• #3,376
fresh_42 said:
Unfortunately not. They almost run completely on renewable energy, have a nice culture with their fairies and goblins. But the language is horror!

I found out that a lot of the music I've really been into lately is from Iceland. Beautiful, introspective, stuff. Must be the goblins.

• #3,377
dkotschessaa said:
I found out that a lot of the music I've really been into lately is from Iceland. Beautiful, introspective, stuff. Must be the goblins.
It's strange to me that one prefers a type of music that some others don't. Is it just all about their current mood and aging issue ?
I like sounds of mandolin, cello, and violin in sad country songs.

• #3,378
dkotschessaa said:
I am not familiar with it, where do you listen to it? I barely remember that Bjork from the 90s. Never heard her music though.

• #3,379
Finally starting to get how joins work in relational database.

• #3,380
After using sugar substitutes like Splenda and Equal for a while, it takes around 6 regular sugars to sweeten my coffee, instead of the 2 it used to take.

• #3,381
How big are those regular sugars?
Also how much coffee are we talking about?

• #3,382
JorisL said:
How big are those regular sugars?
Also how much coffee are we talking about?
Hi, sorry deleted the post. I am talking a double shot of espresso, standard coffee shop size (at least in the US),
the sugars I would say are around 8 grams each, also standard coffee shop individual serving sizes;
I don't know if these sizes are different in Europe , or at least in Belgium, but I will look it up, to get the
numbers. It is the size you would find in Starbucks, which I imagine has stores all over the world.

• #3,383
WWGD said:
... it takes around 6 regular sugars to sweeten my coffee, ...
Normal way for me to wake up in the morning. Splenda, Equal? :oldruck:

• #3,384
dlgoff said:
Normal way for me to wake up in the morning. Splenda, Equal? :oldruck:
Yes, I know, it may not be the best healthwise. But it is difficult to resist the constant demonizing of sugar. Sugar as the source
of all evil. I may reintroduce regular sugar from time-to-time.

Likes dlgoff
  • #3,385
WWGD said:
Sugar as the source
of all evil.
I've always wondered why sugar is thought of this way. Doesn't lots of food end up as a form of sugar anyway?

• #3,386
dlgoff said:
I've always wondered why sugar is thought of this way. Don't lots of food end up as a form of sugar anyway?
I think it is mostly the simple sugars, which have a high glycemic index, i.e., cause a sudden spike in blood sugar levels. These are supposedly responsible for an increase in Diabetes. I think this is the way it is laid out. But my knowledge of Biochem. is too rudimentary (meaning, really, non-existent) to make an effective evaluation of the arguments.

Likes dlgoff
  • #3,387
WWGD said:
I think it is mostly the simple sugars, which have a high glycemic index, i.e., cause a sudden spike in blood sugar levels. These are supposedly responsible for an increase in Diabetes. I think this is the way it is laid out. But my knowledge of Biochem. is too rudimentary (meaning, really, non-existent) to make an effective evaluation of the arguments.
Thanks for your effort. I guess I'm too lazy or afraid to look.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,388
dlgoff said:
Thanks for your effort. I guess I'm too lazy or afraid to look.
Let's hope we are both general health equivalents to Winston Churchill, who smoked almost daily, was overweight and still lived till his 90's. There is something to be said for not worrying too much -- that may be our edge.

Likes dlgoff
  • #3,389
Silicon Waffle said:
It's strange to me that one prefers a type of music that some others don't. Is it just all about their current mood and aging issue ?

I like sounds of mandolin, cello, and violin in sad country songs.

I hope it's not rude to answer an inquiry with a link, but here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_of_music_preference

Huge topic!

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,390
WWGD said:
I am not familiar with it, where do you listen to it? I barely remember that Bjork from the 90s. Never heard her music though.

It started when I was watching the Netflix series "Broadchurch" which featured some very sad and beautiful music by composer
Ólafur Arnalds, who is from Iceland.
I plugged his name into my Pandora app one day and got his music and a bunch of other stuff that at first I found so heartbreaking that I had to stop awhile. Picked it up again later and "discovered" the "post rock" genre, a lot of which is from Iceland but much of which is from, for whatever reason, Texas, such as
Explosions in the Sky and bands with fun names like This will Destroy You. (Also from Texas). But Sigor Ros is another one from Iceland (ok, tired of hyperlinking, sorry). And yes, it turns out I like Bjork, though I never gave her a chance back in the day, and still haven't really dove in just yet.

-Dave K

Likes Enigman
  • #3,391
dkotschessaa said:
It started when I was watching the Netflix series "Broadchurch" which featured some very sad and beautiful music by composer
Ólafur Arnalds, who is from Iceland.
I plugged his name into my Pandora app one day and got his music and a bunch of other stuff that at first I found so heartbreaking that I had to stop awhile. Picked it up again later and "discovered" the "post rock" genre, a lot of which is from Iceland but much of which is from, for whatever reason, Texas, such as
Explosions in the Sky and bands with fun names like This will Destroy You. (Also from Texas). But Sigor Ros is another one from Iceland (ok, tired of hyperlinking, sorry). And yes, it turns out I like Bjork, though I never gave her a chance back in the day, and still haven't really dove in just yet.

-Dave K

Maybe we can reverse-engineer your personality type using this post together with your Wikipedia link on music and personality dispositions.

• #3,392
WWGD said:
Let's hope we are both general health equivalents to Winston Churchill, who smoked almost daily, was overweight and still lived till his 90's. There is something to be said for not worrying too much -- that may be our edge.

My nutritional (but non chemical) understanding is that yes, simple sugars break down more quickly, causing blood sugar spikes, causing insulin to release, and generally making a mess of things. Starches are, I think, slightly less "simple"; simple carbs break down more slowly than sugar, but complex carbs break down more slowly than simple carbs. Fat is the slowest burning, which is why I need to eat lots of it to keep my energy going, since I apparently make too much insulin. It gives me an excuse to indulge my obsession with peanut butter. ("natural" of course, the no sugar kind).

• #3,393
dkotschessaa said:
My nutritional (but non chemical) understanding is that yes, simple sugars break down more quickly, causing blood sugar spikes, causing insulin to release, and generally making a mess of things. Starches are, I think, slightly less "simple"; simple carbs break down more slowly than sugar, but complex carbs break down more slowly than simple carbs. Fat is the slowest burning, which is why I need to eat lots of it to keep my energy going, since I apparently make too much insulin. It gives me an excuse to indulge my obsession with peanut butter. ("natural" of course, the no sugar kind).

But problem with fat, from the little I know, is that it has a negative energy impact on your system: it takes more energy to break it down than it produces after broken down. But it becomes more complicated , since there are good fats and bad fats; saturated, unsaturated, mono-unsaturated, etc.

• #3,394
For a 20 cl cuppa I use 1 sugar* cube of 1.4g. The way I brew my coffee is to take about 6 big scoops of coffee for a pot of coffee.
Don't know about the standard serving sizes at starbucks here, haven't tried that coffee either.
Earliest possible moment I'll try it is weeks from now.

* Just found out it's part cane sugar and part sweetener in the form of sucralose (which incidentally is an ingredient of splenda according to the wiki)

• #3,395
WWGD said:
Maybe we can reverse-engineer your personality type using this post together with your Wikipedia link on music and personality dispositions.

If you heard this music and met me personally I think you'd find it a bit puzzling. I've been into this music for about 3 months and most people who know me find it out of character for me. I've only been into this music about 3 months. I was in a metal band in high school, but then I played and studied jazz guitar for 10 years and then classical guitar for the next 10 years, and though I have varied, varied interests, am generally a class-A music snob, thumbing my nose at anything that comes out of the TV or Radio or is too repetitive or pop-like, or really anything that is not at least 20 years old.

And yet for some reason I am liking these pop-ish bands that have been coming out in the last few years...