Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,716
collinsmark said:
I meant that Louie is pertinent (not impertinent).

It's difficult for me to describe what it is that I love so much about the show, except to say that from my perspective the show hits home -- it touches on the things that matter at this time and this place in life. It is "pertinent" to this day and age.

I know that might sound vague, but I am at a loss to come up with anything better.

Yes, Louie has what the French would call a certain " I don't know what".

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,717
A random face I just made. But I don't know what it is expressing... It's like talking perhaps?... I don't know.

mqNJsQe.png

http://imgur.com/mqNJsQe

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,718
Psinter said:
A random face I just made. But I don't know what it is expressing... It's like talking perhaps?... I don't know.

mqNJsQe.png

It's confusing to me. It might be a mix of surprise, anger and annoyance but not really.
Perhaps it might be feeling pain

• #1,719
Psinter said:

mqNJsQe.png

It is saying: " Psinter keeps making weird faces in this site, like this one and asking what they mean..."

Last edited:
  • #1,720
You and Zoobyshoe share the same work-space don't you ? Every time you are online, I see him too. :DD

I love this movie and this song

• #1,721
Sophia said:
It's confusing to me. It might be a mix of surprise, anger and annoyance but not really.
Perhaps it might be feeling pain
It's okay, even I don't know.
WWGD said:
It is saying: " Psinter keeps making weird faces in this site, like this one and asking what they mean..."
I'm going to make one specially for you.
Silicon Waffle said:
You and Zoobyshoe share the same work-space don't you ? Every time you are online, I see him too. :DD
I was going to say you and Sophie live close because I see you every time at almost the same time.

• #1,722
I've watched a documentary about Asian food and once again I realized that to me all the people of other races look the same.
This is definitely not meant as a racist comment but it's simply something that I realized many times when watching movies or seeing pictures.
Maybe it's because my brain is not used to them at all. In real life, I've only talked to one boy of African origin and saw no more than 10 African people in the street. I meet Asians more often because there are a few Asian shops in my area but I still haven't learned to differentiate between them.
Once I heard that Chinese students say that all the white people look exactly the same to them.
Do you have similar experience?

• #1,723
Sophia said:
Do you have similar experience?

No. I think your experience has to do with your prosopagnosia-like reaction to faces in general, as you talked about in the other thread. You said you needed repeated exposure to people before you could recognize them by their faces. For me it's completely different. A 10 second encounter with someone is all it takes for me to recognize them every time I see them thereafter (unless they've done something extreme to change their appearance).

Likes Silicon Waffle and Sophia
  • #1,724
zoobyshoe said:
No. I think your experience has to do with your prosopagnosia-like reaction to faces in general, as you talked about in the other thread. You said you needed repeated exposure to people before you could recognize them by their faces. For me it's completely different. A 10 second encounter with someone is all it takes for me to recognize them every time I see them thereafter (unless they've done something extreme to change their appearance).

or it may be caused by this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-race_effect

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,725
wolram said:
I can pull a lorry with my pubic hair.:biggrin:
No pictures, please.

• #1,726
Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,727
Sophia said:
I have a similar issue, and it is poorly adaptive and therefore rare; ultimately I think we do not attach much importance to people's feelings in this respect, I have to admit.

• #1,728
zoobyshoe said:
For some people, but I wouldn't suspect this effect in your case. You said it's really hard for you to remember anyone's face.
She is one of Podesta's aliens.

• #1,729
collinsmark said:
Hee hee. :woot:. I'm not saying that I want a hairy woman (or lack thereof, for that matter). Rather I'm saying that hairy or not hairy is not a big deal to me. Either way. The things I find attractive in a woman far outweigh hair or lack of it.
Even a 'stache, you know, tying someone up on the railroad tracks and laughing maliciously 'stache?

• #1,730
Footage shows the moment police overran Turkey's largest newspaper using tear gas
http://www.businessinsider.com/todays-zaman-turkey-police-2016-3

"Police dressed in riot gear seized the headquarters of Turkey's highest-circulation newspaper in a midnight raid Saturday, in arguably the biggest blow yet to press freedom in President Recep Erdogan's Turkey.

The government takeover of Today's Zaman was evidently in response to Erdogan's perception of the paper as a front for the Gülen movement . . ."

And Turkey is supposed to be an ally?!

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,731
I'm in terrible pain right now. I made this because I wanted to make Evo laugh, but I'm in so much pain that I don't even find it funny anymore :bear::

xNDXJCK.jpg

Why I am in pain you wonder? This:
yGic5Bf.jpg

I'm in so much pain that the birds chirping outside are annoying me really bad with their chirping. Am I the only one who gets in bad mood when in pain?

• #1,732
Psinter said:
I'm in terrible pain right now. I made this because I wanted to make Evo laugh, but I'm in so much pain that I don't even find it funny anymore :bear::

xNDXJCK.jpg

She looks like Candace in Phineas and Ferb :DD

• #1,733
Silicon Waffle said:
She looks like Candace in Phineas and Ferb :DD
I wish I could laugh with you. But I'm in such a bad mood that I don't care about anything.

• #1,734
Psinter said:
I'm in terrible pain right now.
You must get to a dentist! As soon as possible.

• #1,735
zoobyshoe said:
You must get to a dentist! As soon as possible.
It was the doctor the one who took that out. It was the doctor who put me in this pain. :frown:

Edit: And I am still bleeding. :frown: I hate it. He said I should stop bleeding soon and gave me recommendations which I don't even remember anymore. My mom was there listening, she must remember, I'll ask her later if I snap out of this pain and bad mood.

• #1,736
Psinter said:
I wish I could laugh with you. But I'm in such a bad mood that I don't care about anything.
Oh sorry to hear that. Is that the wise one ? Looks like a good keepsake.

• #1,737
zoobyshoe said:
For some people, but I wouldn't suspect this effect in your case. You said it's really hard for you to remember anyone's face.
That is something different. I can easily see difference in people's faces. I just can't remember them long term. It's that I can't connect face to name when I see the person later. At the time I see them, I clearly see the unique shape and colour of their eyes, nose, mouth etc. It Is that I am unable to store it in memory. (I eventually remember everyone, after I see them many times)

In the case I was describing now, I tried to say that people of other races have very similar features for me and they seem more similar to one another compared to how I perceive Caucasians. It's not that I can't see any differences between them, but that they seem relatively smaller.
Of course, it is possible that these two may have common cause in some pathology in my brain.

• #1,738
Psinter said:
It was the doctor the one who took that out. It was the doctor who put me in this pain. :frown:

Edit: And I am still bleeding. :frown: I hate it. He said I should stop bleeding soon and gave me recommendations which I don't even remember anymore. My mom was there listening, she must remember, I'll ask her later if I snap out of this pain and bad mood.
I'm sorry that you're in pain :-/
It will pass soon I'm sure.
The wound needs to be kept dry, don't wash it with water or clot will not form.
Put there a cotton wool or tampon and press. It should stop bleeding in few minutes.

• #1,739
Sophia said:
That is something different. I can easily see difference in people's faces. I just can't remember them long term. It's that I can't connect face to name when I see the person later. At the time I see them, I clearly see the unique shape and colour of their eyes, nose, mouth etc. It Is that I am unable to store it in memory. (I eventually remember everyone, after I see them many times)

In the case I was describing now, I tried to say that people of other races have very similar features for me and they seem more similar to one another compared to how I perceive Caucasians. It's not that I can't see any differences between them, but that they seem relatively smaller.
Of course, it is possible that these two may have common cause in some pathology in my brain.
I don't know what to tell you. I just don't have this they-all-look-the-same experience. It's entirely possible that is due to pathology in my brain. I can remember as a little kid being overwhelmed by the discovery that everyone in the world didn't look like a member of my immediate family. I instantly saw incredible differences such that other white people in my town, all of the same ethic stock as me, all looked like their own kind of individual alien creature to me. So, my brain may latch onto differences and exaggerate them for all I know.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,740
Psinter said:

Sorry, I misunderstood. Didn't he recommend something for the pain?

• #1,741
Psinter said:

xNDXJCK.jpg

Why I am in pain you wonder? This:
yGic5Bf.jpg

I'm in so much pain that the birds chirping outside are annoying me really bad with their chirping. Am I the only one who gets in bad mood when in pain?

I sympathies with your pain, tooth ache is terrible, may be it will cheer you a little, i have been in pain for 2 years yours will go away soon as will mine.
:biggrin:

Likes Psinter
  • #1,742
Silicon Waffle said:
Oh sorry to hear that. Is that the wise one ? Looks like a good keepsake.
It's okay. The what? If you mean the doctor, no, I wouldn't describe him as wise. I hate him for this pain.
Sophia said:
I'm sorry that you're in pain :-/
It will pass soon I'm sure.
The wound needs to be kept dry, don't wash it with water or clot will not form.
Put there a cotton wool or tampon and press. It should stop bleeding in few minutes.
Thanks for the concern. Cotton wool is what I have there, but pressing hurts.
zoobyshoe said:
Sorry, I misunderstood. Didn't he recommend something for the pain?
Don't worry.

Nope he didn't prescribe or recommend anything for pain. How do I describe this pain: it makes me so irritable. And the birds are still chirping outside. I'm about to go outside and scare them all away. My friend told me I had PMS and laughed. My reaction to him:
56d.gif

You want an Oscar for that joke? Is what I told him.
wolram said:
I sympathies with your pain, tooth ache is terrible, may be it will cheer you a little, i have been in pain for 2 years yours will go away soon as will mine.
:biggrin:
Thanks, I sure hope so.

• #1,743
Psinter said:

When I had a toothache and it was weekend so I had to survive without the dentist I was told in the pharmacy that the most powerful non-prescription medicine for toothache contains chemical called naproxenum natricium. In Europe it is sold under name Nalgesin.
Maybe ask about that at the pharmacy. Just be sure to ask the pharmacist if it is safe for you if you use other medicines or have some chronic conditions.

• #1,746
Psinter said:
It's okay. The what? If you mean the doctor, no, I wouldn't describe him as wise. I hate him for this pain.

. My friend told me I had PMS and laughed. My reaction to him:
56d.gif

You want an Oscar for that joke? Is what I told him.

Thanks, I sure hope so.

I think s/he meant the wisdom tooth. Ouch, sarcastic slow claps are nasty.

Likes Silicon Waffle and OCR
  • #1,747
WWGD said:
Ouch, sarcastic slow claps are nasty.
And that guy is good at it. I don't trust anyone who looks like they practice that sort of thing.

Likes WWGD
  • #1,748
Every day I eat at least two carrots. This has been going on for a month.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,749
Psinter said:
I don't know what you have been through with your tooth. If it'd been pulled out, things'd be fine soon. relax, don't drink hot water and eat to many spicy or salty things.
56d.gif

this can kill me and all the cats, uh...uhm...

• #1,750
The news is saying we're in for a big storm here in San Diego. It might even snow.