Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
I cleaned up my mess.
I am not here to get a life or introduced a new life.

Physics news on Phys.org
Silicon Waffle said:
I was very energetic working on my slime mold lab culture and all of a sudden the alert bell rang. Now all my enthusiasm to continue the work disappears. What the...!?:):DD.
Off I go to watch TV.
You obviously had your mind on other things.

Evidence suggests that I was hungry last night and ate one of my contact lenses.

I don't know how that can happen. They have absolutely no nutritional value. And I'm blind as a bat without them.

It defies all logic. Yet here I am.

collinsmark said:
Evidence suggests that I was hungry last night and ate one of my contact lenses.

I don't know how that can happen. They have absolutely no nutritional value. And I'm blind as a bat without them.

It defies all logic. Yet here I am.
There is a kind of nasty way to try to recover them if they are expensive.

Likes Sophia
collinsmark said:
That's very mysterious. What was the evidence?

There are more than 150 weekly meetups within 5 miles of my place. If I was unemployed and/or wealthy, I could afford to spend around 50 hours a week in different meetups.

WWGD said:
There are more than 150 weekly meetups within 5 miles of my place. If I was unemployed and/or wealthy, I could afford to spend around 50 hours a week in different meetups.
I have heard ads like this all the time but have never seen anyone for real yet ? :oldfrown:
I think the organizers are doing some things far above and beyond calculus.

Oh I can't watch News any more. Not because of the content but because my ears hurt from such poor language used by the reporters. They talk like 15 year olds in the street!
Oh where are those old times when they had language editors who checked that they used grammatically and stylistically correct sentences? And they also used to have speech therapists who worked on their articulation. Where are they now?

Likes fresh_42
Sophia said:
Oh I can't watch News any more. Not because of the content but because my ears hurt from such poor language used by the reporters. They talk like 15 year olds in the street!
Oh where are those old times when they had language editors who checked that they used grammatically and stylistically correct sentences? And they also used to have speech therapists who worked on their articulation. Where are they now?

I feel the same way except for the radio that we have here in Australia, completely mind numbing and ear bleeding causing quality... I cannot stand to turn it on.

Likes Sophia
Sirsh said:
I feel the same way except for the radio that we have here in Australia, completely mind numbing and ear bleeding causing quality... I cannot stand to turn it on.
Yep, same here :-(

WWGD said:
I may have just imagined it, I guess.
It's going to be called Jonas. Looks like it will be a big one for Northern VA. :wideeyed:

http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/truvu/map_specnewsdct-84_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

I was watching the Youtube Interview with President Obama a few days back (because SmarterEveryDay) and found myself nodding my head to:
"Peoples' motives in these mass shootings are complicated. In my mind, by definition, if you're willing to do something like that you have a serious mental health problem." - Obama

But today I got to thinking about something else I've internalized, that people are good at classifying things, including classifications like "the enemy" and "other" that remove certain inhibitions. (Not sure what this phenomenon is called or if it even has a proper name.)

How do these two ideas interact with one another? Are one or both of them poppycock?
Can (should?) other inherent cognitive biases be classified as mental health problems?

jackwhirl said:
(Not sure what this phenomenon is called or if it even has a proper name.)
Social identity theory

Last edited:
Likes jackwhirl
Silicon Waffle said:
I have heard ads like this all the time but have never seen anyone for real yet ? :oldfrown:
I think the organizers are doing some things far above and beyond calculus.
Try an online search for meetups, unless you live in the south pole or middle of the desert, sure you will get plenty of hits. There are meetups on anything, from calculus to theatre, to fashion, to computers, from intro to advanced levels

http://www.meetup.com/cities/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meetup_(website)

You may be able to set up your group if you cannot find one you like.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
jackwhirl said:
How do these two ideas interact with one another? Are one or both of them poppycock?
Can (should?) other inherent cognitive biases be classified as mental health problems?
They sort of already are, in a soft, non-official way. It's assumed that no one is perfectly mentally healthy. The line between "normal" and "mentally ill" is drawn where a person becomes dysfunctional. "Dysfunctional" would include cases where a person is "a danger to themselves or others." So, a "normal" person might see some "other" group as "the enemy," for reasons of cognitive bias, but still have no violent intentions against them.

Borg said:
It's going to be called Jonas. Looks like it will be a big one for Northern VA. :wideeyed:

http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/truvu/map_specnewsdct-84_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg
How about we use it for a name for a new cologne, to compete with Hugo? The snowy cologne, way cooler (literally) than Hugo ? Jonas: Hugo's classier brother.

Most American farmers are real patriotic straight men. Look at the Bundys. Only strong men (physically and mentally) would dare to do something like that. They are the true heroes in the land of the free.

WWGD said:
You may be able to set up your group if you cannot find one you like.
There's one here with more than 800 only girls ...

Silicon Waffle said:
They are the true heroes in the land of the free.
Is 'hero' American slang for 'clowns'?

Lawyer of man who threatened Muslims: Fox News made him do it!
http://www.vox.com/2016/1/20/10801948/fox-news-muslims-threat

California defense attorney Michael Malowney asked a San Diego judge to be lenient in sentencing his client, John David Weissinger, for a series of violent threats against the Council on American-Islamic Relations, because Weissinger was under the influence of alcohol — and Fox News.
Alcohol combined with Fox News is bad combination. :oldeyes:

Don't drink and watch Fox News.

Likes Borg
fresh_42 said:
There's one here with more than 800 only girls ...
Is that a harem meetup?

Silicon Waffle said:
Most American farmers are real patriotic straight men. Look at the Bundys. Only strong men (physically and mentally) would dare to do something like that. They are the true heroes in the land of the free.
Is that the Bundys from "Love and Marriage" or psycho killer Ted Bundy's family? Or some other Bundys?

Astronuc said:
Lawyer of man who threatened Muslims: Fox News made him do it!
http://www.vox.com/2016/1/20/10801948/fox-news-muslims-threat

Alcohol combined with Fox News is bad combination. :oldeyes:

Don't drink and watch Fox News.

Why would you choose to watch Fox ( or MSNBC) unless you are drunk to start with?

Likes Sophia and fresh_42
WWGD said:
Is that a harem meetup?
No idea. I'm still thinking whether or not I should apply for it.

fresh_42 said:
No idea. I'm still thinking whether or not I should apply for it.
I think it is good to have your Harem members get to know each other better.

Likes fresh_42
WWGD said:
I think it is good to have your Harem members get to know each other better.
Have you once lived in Utah for some time?

fresh_42 said:
Have you once lived in Utah for some time?
No, but I may give it a try and maybe set up a sect of (desperate/confused) women to worship me. Thanks for the idea.

Likes Sophia
fresh_42 said:
Is 'hero' American slang for 'clowns'?
I don't know if it is true but it would be like another perspective from a reader of what I wrote.
I bet they know well their heads would be chopped off if that weren't US but Communist or Middle East countries, yet they are still playing games in the mountain, that is how I call them heroes. :biggrin:

Likes Sophia
WWGD said:
Is that the Bundys from "Love and Marriage" or psycho killer Ted Bundy's family? Or some other Bundys?
Here they are. They and one of my coding professors live in the same state. :DD I hope he is well over there...This look like a local civil war.

Silicon Waffle said:
Here they are. They and one of my coding professors live in the same state. :DD I hope he is well over there...This look like a local civil war.
What makes them heroes? They just want some free land and free resources..

WWGD said:
What makes them heroes? They just want some free land and free resources..
They want things that aren't legally defined as free. It's an access violation. :biggrin:

WWGD said:
No, but I may give it a try and maybe set up a sect of (desperate/confused) women to worship me. Thanks for the idea.
Best about UT is that NM isn't that far. However, stay away from Albuquerque's cops.

fresh_42 said:
Best about UT is that NM isn't that far. However, stay away from Albuquerque's cops.
Wow, that sounds mysterious. Any issues with Jojo in Tucson Arizona? Any California grass?

This is why PF needs doctors on brain surgery. o0) I need to learn what the 2 posts above this of mine actually meant.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again"?</h2><p>The purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again" is to explore the concept of time and how it affects our lives. It also delves into the idea of making choices and how those choices can lead to different paths in life.</p><h2>2. Is this a scientific or philosophical piece?</h2><p>This piece can be seen as both scientific and philosophical. It discusses scientific concepts such as time and the theory of relativity, but also delves into philosophical ideas about choice and the human experience.</p><h2>3. How does the concept of time relate to our daily lives?</h2><p>The concept of time is essential in our daily lives as it helps us organize and structure our activities. It also affects our perception of events and how we experience them. Time also plays a role in decision making and the consequences of those decisions.</p><h2>4. How does the author use metaphors and analogies to explain the concept of time?</h2><p>The author uses metaphors and analogies such as the river and the tree to explain the fluidity and interconnectedness of time. These metaphors help to visualize and understand the abstract concept of time and how it flows and branches off into different paths.</p><h2>5. What is the main takeaway from "Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again"?</h2><p>The main takeaway from this piece is that time is a complex and ever-changing concept that affects our lives in various ways. It also emphasizes the importance of making choices and the impact they can have on our lives, as well as the idea that there are always different paths and possibilities available to us.</p>

1. What is the purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again"?

The purpose of "Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again" is to explore the concept of time and how it affects our lives. It also delves into the idea of making choices and how those choices can lead to different paths in life.

2. Is this a scientific or philosophical piece?

This piece can be seen as both scientific and philosophical. It discusses scientific concepts such as time and the theory of relativity, but also delves into philosophical ideas about choice and the human experience.

3. How does the concept of time relate to our daily lives?

The concept of time is essential in our daily lives as it helps us organize and structure our activities. It also affects our perception of events and how we experience them. Time also plays a role in decision making and the consequences of those decisions.

4. How does the author use metaphors and analogies to explain the concept of time?

The author uses metaphors and analogies such as the river and the tree to explain the fluidity and interconnectedness of time. These metaphors help to visualize and understand the abstract concept of time and how it flows and branches off into different paths.

5. What is the main takeaway from "Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again"?

The main takeaway from this piece is that time is a complex and ever-changing concept that affects our lives in various ways. It also emphasizes the importance of making choices and the impact they can have on our lives, as well as the idea that there are always different paths and possibilities available to us.