Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Can someone invent an app that erases or blocks the name 'Kardashian' on the internet, or each browser?

Likes Sophia, fresh_42 and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Can someone invent an app that erases or blocks the name 'Kardashian' on the internet, or each browser?
And from the TV , while they are at it. Strangely to me, there seem to be plenty of people interested in knowing about them and about their daily lives.

lisab said:
No idea about Tunisian Arabic, but Om, I bought a car a week ago. As part of the process the sales guy showed me how to link my phone to the car. I have no idea why I might need this particular feature.

For some reason my car immediately decided to call you. I don't think the call went through -- I was laughing hysterically saying, "no my car shouldn't call Om!" and the sales guy was certain I was nuts and was probably wondering if the check would bounce -- but if you got a call from a Subaru...yeah that was me.

Makes up for the time your butt called me.

Ah! Hahahahahaha!

I know you don't believe in psychic mumbo jumbo, but I think it's funny how we joined PF within a 48 hours of each other, and the universe is still trying to keep us in touch. :smile:

There's a huge spider in my window. About 8 inches diameter I would approximate. I'm sleepy, but I ain't closing my eyes no matter what. ~7 hours until the sun comes out. ~7 hours I must not close my eyes.

EDIT: Either that or I go out to kill it. But I dare not take such a mission. It's been raining a lot and I bet there are other fouler creatures than spiders, that got their nests flooded, waiting for me on the outside.

EDIT2:
cool-spider-shoe-fire-yard.jpg

Last edited:
Likes dkotschessaa, nuuskur, Borg and 2 others
Psinter said:
There's a huge spider in my window. About 8 inches diameter I would approximate. I'm sleepy, but I ain't closing my eyes no matter what. ~7 hours until the sun comes out. ~7 hours I must not close my eyes.

EDIT: Either that or I go out to kill it. But I dare not take such a mission. It's been raining a lot and I bet there are other fouler creatures than spiders, that got their nests flooded, waiting for me on the outside.

EDIT2:
cool-spider-shoe-fire-yard.jpg
Send him to me, I really want a tarantula!

zoobyshoe said:
"The Impactor" would be much better than "The Impact," yes. I was pondering why the latter sounds so awkward when applied to a person and haven't sorted it out yet.
I think it's valid syntax. I think the discomfort is because an impact is an event, something at a point in time. An impactor or a destroyer is an entity with some kind of extent in time. It makes sense to draw a parallel between a person and another entity, but not so much between a person and an event.

Sophia said:
Unless I'm mistaken, that's a female black widow. You may wish to do some research before offering to adopt...

Likes Sophia
I can't see the picture on my mobile for some reason. I don't want a black widow. I want brachypelma smithii :-)

Sophia said:
I can't see the picture on my mobile for some reason. I don't want a black widow. I want brachypelma smithii :-)
Rather you than me, but at least they don't come with a serious risk of posionous bite...

Likes Sophia
Ibix said:
It makes sense to draw a parallel between a person and another entity, but not so much between a person and an event.
You're right. It's a conceptual, not grammatical, infelicity.

Psinter said:

EDIT2:
KILL IT WITH FYRE!

Likes Psinter
Sophia said:
:eek: I cannot possibly relate to such feelings.:nb)
Ibix said:
Unless I'm mistaken, that's a female black widow. You may wish to do some research before offering to adopt...
But what is on my window is not a black widow. Albeit, I don't think it's a Tarantula either. I once tried to kill one of them monsters and it let some spiderweb out while escaping from me and Tarantulas from my place have no spiderweb. And they also move slower, the one on my window is blazing fast which makes it more scary. *shivers* They are so fast that you blink and the next thing you find is that it magically disappeared from the scene. The sun is finally out :partytime: and I've been camping all night. Plus just took some pills for the allergy I have. The pills makes you sleepy so bye bye. :sleep:

nuuskur said:
KILL IT WITH FYRE!
My thought exactly. :biggrin:

just posting here so i don't forget to watch this thread and post again when I'm more wake
haven't coffeed yet

nuuskur said:
KILL IT WITH FYRE!
Don't, it'll be too hot. Spiders will also die when their legs are broken. Huhahhaa :skullXbones::penguin:

Likes Psinter
Are there arachnophobiae around?
Spiders are our friends: they eat our flying enemies, kill themselves when too many, hiding the whole day and don't bother about us at all.
And beside in Australia their poison is negligibly.

Likes Sophia
fresh_42 said:
Spiders are our friends: they eat our flying enemies, kill themselves when too many, hiding the whole day and don't bother about us at all.
I didn't eve know (some) spiders were poisonous.

WWGD said:
I didn't eve know (some) spiders were poisonous.
AFAIK all are. However, most of them come in homeopathic doses or cannot overcome our skin.

OmCheeto said:
Ah! Hahahahahaha!

I know you don't believe in psychic mumbo jumbo, but I think it's funny how we joined PF within a 48 hours of each other, and the universe is still trying to keep us in touch. :smile:
Because it is not the universe, but the multiverse.
All of bio-medical students are well taught about some laws that forbid them to perform experiments on humans. :oldfrown::oldcry:

fresh_42 said:

Exactly. I never understood why people are so afraid of them. Maybe because of their unusual appearance. They really look like aliens :) That's why I'm so afraid of snakes, they scare me because they move without feet :)
Right now I'm reading a book about tarantulas and they are very interesting creatures, with almost supernatural ability for survival, but very fragile at the same time.
I don't understand why anyone would kill them or any other animal for no reason. I have a huge phobia of snakes but I would never kill one unless it was in self-defense.
Now that I can see the pictures in this case it was self-defense. So I'm not criticizing Psinter now :) I'm talking about some strange comupulsion to kill all harmless insects for no reason that some people have.
Anyway, most species do MUCH less harm than people

Last edited:
This OP ribbon looks better than starter ribbon!:wink:

Lisa! said:
This OP ribbon looks better than starter ribbon!:wink:
And why do we all have two numbers now?
pfoogle pfoogle pfoogle

Ah ha! The Sally Field count. :biggrin:

OmCheeto said:
Ah ha! The Sally Field count. :biggrin:
Enlighten me.

zoobyshoe said:
Enlighten me.
"Likes."

Bystander said:
"Likes."
Yes, but why Sally Field count? Om likes Sally Field?

Ibix said:
Yes, but why Sally Field count? Om likes Sally Field?

Likes Ibix
Ah - I get it now. Thanks.

Ibix said:
Ah - I get it now. Thanks.
Yeah, I needed a clue. At first I was thinking she played some role that had to do with counting, but that got me nowhere.

Sophia said:
Right now I'm reading a book about tarantulas and they are very interesting creatures, with almost supernatural ability for survival, but very fragile at the same time.
I don't understand why anyone would kill them or any other animal for no reason.
Spiders are nothing but ultimate evil! Sorry, but we can't be friends. :-p I'm just kidding with you.

I like snakes and Amphibians. Amphibians are funny. Most are wet and gelatinous. I like to touch them.

This lady is awesome! Check it out: http://eugeniekitchen.com/rainbow-heart-cookies-eugenie/

Sophia said:
I don't understand why anyone would kill them or any other animal for no reason.

I never could understand that either, such a shame......:oldfrown:

Likes Sophia
Is it right to assume that wind always acts in one direction for a long period of time? When I ride my bicycle I can feel the alternating direction of wind every 5-10 minutes or so.

Sirsh said:
Is it right to assume that wind always acts in one direction for a long period of time?

Surprisingly, no; it would be a less than ideal assumption. (On small scales that is) :wink:

Wind on the surface of the Earth has a large amount of localized behavior. Don't forget that with most any system of airflow on scales less than around 100 km, it not only involves lateral direction, but also vertical directions at elevations higher than the surface itself: At elevations above ground sometimes the wind blows up and sometimes down!

And with that, the wind patterns form [3 dimensional] chaotic, pseudo-fractal type structures. The largest systems are the prevailing winds. Within the prevailing winds there substructures of high and low pressure centers that interact with each other to form even smaller structures with their own wind patterns. And within those smaller structures there are even smaller structures than that. [Edit: and the strength these different levels vary too, depending on other conditions, meaning some days there will be steady winds and other days nothing but gusts.]

The end result is, on a gusty day, that even though you might feel a strong breeze blowing, that breeze might not exist or might be in a completely different direction as little as a 100 meters away or so.

And these small patches are moving too. So they are not just localized in space, but they are themselves moving a little in space as time progresses.

When I ride my bicycle I can feel the alternating direction of wind every 5-10 minutes or so.

That doesn't surprise me, particularly since you are moving. You might be moving through one small, localized thermal and into another small system.

The concept is very important to sailing, and in particular sail-boat racing. In highly competitive sailboat racing it is not uncommon for a crew member to climb up the mast (even part way) to inspect the nearby areas of water. Patches of water that are less reflective (due to increased ripples) give an indication of where the wind is. Much of sailboat racing is a struggle to find those small patches of wind.

Last edited:
Likes Sophia, Sirsh and WWGD
collinsmark said:
Surprisingly, no; it would be a less than ideal assumption. (On small scales that is) :wink:

Wind on the surface of the Earth has a large amount of localized behavior. Don't forget that with most any system of airflow on scales less than around 100 km, it not only involves lateral direction, but also vertical directions at elevations higher than the surface itself: At elevations above ground sometimes the wind blows up and sometimes down!

And with that, the wind patterns form [3 dimensional] chaotic, pseudo-fractal type structures. The largest systems are the prevailing winds. Within the prevailing winds there substructures of high and low pressure centers that interact with each other to form even smaller structures with their own wind patterns. And within those smaller structures there are even smaller structures than that. [Edit: and the strength these different levels vary too, depending on other conditions, meaning some days there will be steady winds and other days nothing but gusts.]

The end result is, on a gusty day, that even though you might feel a strong breeze blowing, that breeze might not exist or might be in a completely different direction as little as a 100 meters away or so.

And these small patches are moving too. So they are not just localized in space, but they are themselves moving a little in space as time progresses.
That doesn't surprise me, particularly since you are moving. You might be moving through one small, localized thermal and into another small system.

The concept is very important to sailing, and in particular sail-boat racing. In highly competitive sailboat racing it is not uncommon for a crew member to climb up the mast (even part way) to inspect the nearby areas of water. Patches of water that are less reflective (due to increased ripples) give an indication of where the wind is. Much of sailboat racing is a struggle to find those small patches of wind.

Very interesting, thank you for your knowledge on the subject.

Is this a large problem when it comes to wind turbine design?

Sirsh said:
Very interesting, thank you for your knowledge on the subject.

Is this a large problem when it comes to wind turbine design?
This is random thoughts, if you have an interest in the topic, I suggest that you start a thread in the proper forum to discuss it. :smile: