Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Talking about "subconscious", could someone offer me some examples to clarify what "to reignite something at one's subconscious level" means ? Why is it subconscious not conscious though ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Silicon Waffle said:
Talking about "subconscious", could someone offer me some examples to clarify what "to reignite something at one's subconscious level" means ? Why is it subconscious not conscious though ?
Subconscious, bottom-up, automatic mind is a leftover of primal behavior , often related to the ability to survive. Conscious, top-down mental level is more deliberate and thoughtful, more recent evolution-wise. But I don't know if this gives an answer to your question. Examples of subconscious mind: breathing, digesting, the management of bodily functions. Top-down: reflection, thoughtfulness.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Chrome is partially back. Welcome (partially) back, Chrome.

Silicon Waffle said:
IOW , there are triggers to your behavior that you (meaning people in general) may not be aware of, but someone else may notice. This may happen with advertisers, marketers, politicians, people in general.

Silicon Waffle said:
We would need to see the original text to see the context.
Subconscious usually refers to things that Freud wrote about.
To reignite means to catch fire again. So I understand that something causes certain emotions or reactions in you, but you don't know why you feel or act in such a way.
For example, if you see a stranger who looks similar to someone you know, you may subconsciously expect him to have the same characteristics as the person he resembles. Eg you hate someone and than see someone who looks similar than you may be less likely to be kind to him.
Or you have a very pleasant memories connected to a certain song and when you hear it again in a different situation, those pleasant feelings may emerge.
But I'm not sure if this is a correct explanation, as that phrase could mean anything depending on context.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Sophia said:
as that phrase could mean anything depending on context.
There is nothing like bad syntax to mess up good context.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Silicon Waffle said:
Reflexes reignite (or trigger) your body movements at a subconscious level. When you get hit many times you sort of develop this sense of 'something is coming' and you move sort of unconsciously. Not completely unconsciously, but somewhat.

This is very true and it happens to a lot of people. When I trained, a friend was once bugging me and asking me to fight him to which I kept telling him no. I was looking at my notebook when he threw a punch at me which got blocked without me being conscious that he was directing his fist at my face. I did not even realize what I did until he said: "Whoa! You just stopped my fist without looking!" To which I replied: "I don't know, it's probably reflexes."

But then it was worse, because he was so impressed that he bugged me even more to fight him (-.-). I cannot be sure, but I think he wasn't going to hit me anyway, I don't think he had the intent to harm me, but I still responded without being conscious of it. It happens often with people directing things at my head or face.

At other times, at night when there are lot's of insects flying, some of the insects who fly do it very fast. Sometimes they create a shadow that triggers my fighting stance and I dodge something that isn't even going to hit me (because it's just a shadow). But their fast moving shadows trigger that response from me. I can't help it. Then I'm like: "I hope no one saw me, I probably look really stupid dodging a shadow that probably only I saw because of my position."

So there you have it: Reflexes for protection. Somewhat subconsciously. It's not conscious because you are not fully aware of it happening. You just do it.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Sophia said:
We would need to see the original text to see the context.
Subconscious usually refers to things that Freud wrote about.
True, but it has recently been studied scientifically, using, e.g., recent research on the brain. There is a nice book out by L. Mlodinow , titled precisely " Subconscious"

WWGD said:
True, but it has recently been studied scientifically, using, e.g., recent research on the brain. There is a nice book out by L. Mlodinow , titled precisely " Subconscious"

Thanks, will add it to my wishlist :)

Likes WWGD
Sophia said:
To reignite means to catch fire again. So I understand that something causes certain emotions or reactions in you, but you don't know why you feel or act in such a way...
I heard it on a TV documentary show. :DD

Psinter said:
I am waiting for another @zoobyshoe story. :nb) :biggrin:
I also find he has not been so active as he used to during these days. Maybe he is celebrating Lunar New Year with his family (I still prefer Lunar to Chinese but the latter seems to be more commonly used even to Northern American people, which is really a sad thing to me o0))

Likes Psinter
Silicon Waffle said:
I also find he has not been so active as he used to during these days. Maybe he is celebrating Lunar New Year with his family (I still prefer Lunar to Chinese but the latter seems to be more commonly used even to Northern American people, which is really a sad thing to me o0))
From now on, I will only use the term Lunar. It never came to my mind that other Asian nations celebrate it too (like, I knew it but never thought about it much o_O) so calling it only Chinese is insufficient :)

Likes Silicon Waffle
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Silicon Waffle
zoobyyyyyyyyyyy! Hi. :biggrin:

Silicon Waffle said:
Maybe he is celebrating Lunar New Year with his family (I still prefer Lunar to Chinese but the latter seems to be more commonly used even to Northern American people, which is really a sad thing to me o0))
Oh, Lunar. I wasn't aware of that name. I've always wanted to play this game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong#Old_Hong_Kong_mahjong

800px-Lanzhou-019.JPG

Source

Likes Sophia and Silicon Waffle
Me too, it looks funny. I'd like to learn how to play it. :biggrin:

Likes Psinter
Psinter said:
zoobyyyyyyyyyyy! Hi.
Hello. I am preoccupied trying to organize things a bit better in real life here. I've been reading posts, though.

zoobyshoe said:
Hello. I am preoccupied trying to organize things a bit better in real life here. I've been reading posts, though.
Hihi. It's okay. :smile:

Was walking with my dog and thinking about lunar/solar/other holidays. And I remembered that actually we have a holiday connected to the lunar calendar this week as well. It's tomorrow and is called Ash Wednesday https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday
It's 40 days before Easter which is first Sunday after full moon after spring equinox. Sounds kinda complicated if put like this :D

i-dont-always-give-up-things-for-lent-but-when-i-do-itll-probabl.jpg

WWGD said:
IOW , there are triggers to your behavior that you (meaning people in general) may not be aware of, but someone else may notice. This may happen with advertisers, marketers, politicians, people in general.
Every single supermarket is arranged that way.

Sophia said:
Was walking with my dog and thinking about lunar/solar/other holidays. And I remembered that actually we have a holiday connected to the lunar calendar this week as well. It's tomorrow and is called Ash Wednesday https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday
It's 40 days before Easter which is first Sunday after full moon after spring equinox. Sounds kinda complicated if put like this :D
How surprising for me to learn that Slovakian people also use the Lunar one!
Awesome!
i-dont-always-give-up-things-for-lent-but-when-i-do-itll-probabl.jpg

:biggrin: I see. It is just extraordinarily normal.

Silicon Waffle said:
How surprising for me to learn that Slovakian people also use the Lunar one!
Awesome!

:biggrin: I see. It is just extraordinarily normal.

Actually, this is almost universal Christian tradition. It has roots in Jewish customs.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Sophia said:
Actually, this is almost universal Christian tradition. It has roots in Jewish customs.
Not to forget the big party to the december solstice all of us celtic, germanic and slavic tribes used to celebrate for centuries!

Likes Sophia
Silicon Waffle said:
(I still prefer Lunar to Chinese but the latter seems to be more commonly used even to Northern American people, which is really a sad thing to me o0))
For what it's worth, I know many people from all over Asia: Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, etc. (and of course, China too). And they all call it "Chinese New Year." So I don't think it's a big deal (even among peoples of non-Chinese, Asian countries who celebrate the holiday).

Last edited:
Sophia said:
And don't forget Mardi Gras/Carnival, by extension. That's today, by the way. Happy Mardi Gras! :partytime:

collinsmark said:
And don't forget Mardi Gras/Carnival, by extension. That's today, by the way. Happy Mardi Gras! :partytime:
:partytime::DD

Silicon Waffle said:
? Chinese calendar is a Lunar calendar. New year starts at the first new moon after something , not sure what.

WWGD said:
? Chinese calendar is a Lunar calendar. New year starts at the first new moon after something , not sure what.
2nd new moon after December solstice!

Australia trying to impose additional taxes on fresh fruit & vegetables.. on top of existing GST.. Greatttt

collinsmark said:
This reminds me of the great triple conjunction of 2008

Happy Super Fat Tuesday

It appears we didn't mention that it was also Chinese New Year. A quadruple conjunction!

hmmm...

Feb 5 Super Tuesday (Special presidential election day in the USA. Being political, there's no rational logic behind the date. :biggrin:)
Feb 5 Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras)
Feb 3 Super Bowl Sunday (Special sporting event in the USA. Currently held on 1st Sunday of February)
Feb 7 Chinese New Year (Year of the Rat)

Mar _6 Super Tuesday
Feb 21 Fat Tuesday
Feb _5 Super Bowl Sunday
Jan 23 Chinese New Year (Year of the Dragon)

Mar 1 Super Tuesday
Feb 9 Fat Tuesday
Feb 7 Super Bowl Sunday
Feb 8 Chinese New Year (Year of the Monkey)

Likes Sophia
fresh_42 said:
2nd new moon after December solstice!
Is there some special meaning attached to this second new moon?

WWGD said:
For some strange reason, I have been misspelling words I had never misspelled, like fare instead of fair, etc
A sign of getting old WWGD, I have also started spelling phonetically and I used to win spelling bees.

Evo said:
A sign of getting old WWGD, I have also started spelling phonetically and I used to win spelling bees.
I don't know, I just started a new job and have a business on the side, together with full time school. That may be a better explanation: I am exhausted.

WWGD said:
I don't know, I just started a new job and have a business on the side, together with full time school. That may be a better explanation: I am exhausted.
Denial, the first sign of old age...

Likes collinsmark