What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,571
fresh_42 said:
They forecast a temperature drop to 7°C / 45°F on Sat 4/7 for DC and 25 l/sqrm up to 33 l/sqrm precipitation. Still too warm but a lot of rain. And in case it falls as snow before it will melt, but they say rain ...
Hard to say what it will end up being. Most sites that I've seen show a maximum of 40 for Saturday. The DC area is notoriously hard to predict in these situations so I pay attention to outliers like this. We'll see what the forecast brings over the next few days. I really don't want to shovel that much snow.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,572
At job interview:

How did you solve a conflict that you have had with a co-worker in your current job?

funny-gif-girl-trying-talking-interrupted.gif

Silly questions. You are implying I have had problems with a co-worker in my current job.

Attachments

• funny-gif-girl-trying-talking-interrupted.gif
    funny-gif-girl-trying-talking-interrupted.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 307
  • #3,573
2ltr fizzy drinks should come in plastic pouches (like Capri Suns) with no air pockets and a tap near the bottom.

That way the CO2 can't escape as fast and the last drop should still be quite fizzy.

Amirite lads?

• #3,574
skyshrimp said:
2ltr fizzy drinks should come in plastic pouches (like Capri Suns) with no air pockets and a tap near the bottom.

That way the CO2 can't escape as fast and the last drop should still be quite fizzy.

Amirite lads?
Sounds like a portable fire hose to me.

Likes Ibix
  • #3,575
Is it me, my stupidity, my stubbornness, my lack of flexibility, my age? But I hate video feeds on the internet. Be it ads, or contributions here. Whereas I can decide what and whether to read when I see a text, read diagonal or skip passages I already know, videos force me to consume them entirely. I can't know when I miss essential parts if I skip forward. I've tried but it usually results in going back and wasting even more time. They also occupy all my thoughts, while reading allows me to move around mentally. And then they usually increase loading time and browser performance. Meanwhile I refuse to acknowledge all websites as soon as there is a video feed, even if I would otherwise have read them. This is also true for ads. I can accept written ads and even recognize them, but I don't allow videos to take control. Have I said, that I hate video feeds?

Likes nuuskur
  • #3,576
yeah..but like..reading is for like..nerds and stuff (I'm obviously trying to make fun of certain people)

:))

The topics that interest me, I prefer to read about exactly for the reasons you pointed out and I'm ..young.

I have ads blocked. Unless I want some specific video to play, it won't.

• #3,577
Favorite interview question:
There is a Prime key, Foreign Key, Unique Key.. Why isn't there a Mon-Key?

• #3,578
WWGD said:
Cri-key, that's a tough one.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,579
WWGD said:
Ibix said:
...or, better, "Because you don't pay peanuts. I hope."

Likes WWGD
  • #3,580
Ibix said:
@Australian Databases.

• #3,581
Ibix said:
...or, better, "Because you don't pay peanuts. I hope."
Spun-key this morning. EDIT: My ignorance, I guess it is around 5 p.m there.

• #3,582
fresh_42 said:
Is it me, my stupidity, my stubbornness, my lack of flexibility, my age? But I hate video feeds on the internet. Be it ads, or contributions here. Whereas I can decide what and whether to read when I see a text, read diagonal or skip passages I already know, videos force me to consume them entirely. I can't know when I miss essential parts if I skip forward. I've tried but it usually results in going back and wasting even more time. They also occupy all my thoughts, while reading allows me to move around mentally. And then they usually increase loading time and browser performance. Meanwhile I refuse to acknowledge all websites as soon as there is a video feed, even if I would otherwise have read them. This is also true for ads. I can accept written ads and even recognize them, but I don't allow videos to take control. Have I said, that I hate video feeds?

But the Beatles in book/written form kind of sucks. Video is best here.

• #3,583
WWGD said:
There is, or better there are! The Mon-Keys are those you meet on an average Monday after a weekend you haven't missed one of them!

• #3,584
fresh_42 said:
But I hate video feeds on the internet. Be it ads, or contributions here. Whereas I can decide what and whether to read when I see a text, read diagonal or skip passages I already know, videos force me to consume them entirely.
Indeed.

That said, the worst offenders of two forms:
  1. Videos of photos. Really!? The news story might be about a photo, maybe with a headline such as "Shocking Photo Has Scientists Rethinking <such and such>", with a video showing nothing more than the photo, but only after sitting through a 30 second ad. 'Just show me the darned photo. I've gotten to the point now where I completely skip such articles.
  2. Videos that show nothing but text, --- S. L. O. W. L. Y. . U. P. D. A. T. I. N. G. . T. E. X.T --- by the way, perhaps with music in the background. <Groan> Just keep your music and print the text in the article. If the video has some additional interviews/commentary, then fine. But if all you have is text, then it does not belong in video form.

Likes BillTre and fresh_42
  • #3,585
collinsmark said:
<Groan> Just keep your music and print the text in the article.
That was one of my thoughts when I first saw a modern IDE. Nothing but icons. Icons everywhere. Oh man, I can read! Where are my scroll down menus and list boxes. I see no gain in learning hundreds of tiny images, differing from software to software, if I could simply read what to do instead, if possible with a keyboard short cut - no mouse. Horrible.

• #3,586
I wonder if thoughts and memories have an molecular structure. So if I told you to think of an apple on a white oak table, did you just create a temporary molecule in your head for that mental image?

• #3,587
Time lapse of fetal neurons making connections.

k90YFSM.gif

Likes collinsmark, Ibix, Psinter and 1 other person
  • #3,588
Kimberley, Australia: https://imgur.com/gallery/5qvr5sK

I never check whether forecasts. A few days ago a super gust blew and I was like "Eeeeeehhh! Where did that come from?!" Luckily my friend told me there was a storm forecast. One of these days I'm going to go outside and realize there is barely anyone outside. I'll be like: "Nice. Traffic is perfect today." Meanwhile a storm like that will be approaching me.

• #3,589
I enjoyed staying in Australia for a while, but I'd never want to live down under. Everything there is designed to kill you in some way: storms, earthquakes, an entire battalion of spiders equipped to every household, extreme heat and humidity..ughh.

Wanna swim? SURPRISE! It's a shark!

oh yeah..flies. LOTS of #¤"%"& flies!

Likes Psinter
  • #3,590
From this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflex_syncope
Reflex syncope is a brief loss of consciousness due to a neurologically induced drop in blood pressure. Before the person passes out there may be sweating, a decreased ability to see, or ringing in the ears.
I couldn't have described it better, but you should add cold sweating to that and nausea. I thought only high blood pressure was bad. Didn't know low blood pressure could be bad too.
Complications may include injury from a fall.
You don't say. My head hit hard the concrete wall that one time. Thankfully there was no injury. Good thing it happened only once. Other times I've snapped out of it before fainting.
Vasovagal syncope is typically triggered by seeing blood, pain, emotional stress, or prolonged standing... The underlying mechanism involves the nervous system slowing the heart rate and dilating blood vessels resulting in low blood pressure and therefore not enough blood flow to the brain... When people lose consciousness, they fall down (unless prevented from doing so) and, when in this position, effective blood flow to the brain is immediately restored, allowing the person to regain consciousness.
Oh. Today I learned.
The nucleus tractus solitarii of the brainstem is activated directly or indirectly by the triggering stimulus, resulting in simultaneous enhancement of parasympathetic nervous system (vagal) tone and withdrawal of sympathetic nervous system tone.
The... the what? Ok, now you are speaking elvish. I don't understand those words.
https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/All-Disorders/Syncope-Information-Page said:
Syncope is a dramatic event and can be life-threatening if not treated properly.
Psh. Please, I'm not that weak.

• #3,591
It has been 3.5 years without a single cigarette!

In other news. Who would spend 5 minutes trying to figure out why TeX code doesn't compile when using \includegraphics and linking it to a .tex file? :biggrin:

That's right, that would be me :oldlaugh:

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, WWGD and Psinter
  • #3,592
Why not a Pre Office to go with Office and Post Office?

Likes BillTre
  • #3,593
When you intended a straw to go on your mouth, but it goes up your nose. I blame it on you who distracted me by talking about interesting stuff while we ate. While I made eye contact with you because I was into the conversation I lowered my head to take a sip, but the straw went up my nose instead of into my mouth.

Tell me this has happened to you too.

Likes nuuskur
  • #3,594
Psinter said:
When you intended a straw to go on your mouth, but it goes up your nose. I blame it on you who distracted me by talking about interesting stuff while we ate. While I made eye contact with you because I was into the conversation I lowered my head to take a sip, but the straw went up my nose instead of into my mouth.

Tell me this has happened to you too.
You are not alone in that :DD

Likes Psinter
  • #3,595
Psinter said:
I blame it on you who distracted me ...
And if you don't stop here, and will sue your friend for a nose injury, then you will have understood the American law system :biggrin:

Likes Psinter
  • #3,596
I have learnt, that the correct spelling is "too <adjective>" but have read recently a couple of times "to <adjective>". Has this changed since my schooldays?

• #3,597
fresh_42 said:
I have learnt, that the correct spelling is "too <adjective>" but have read recently a couple of times "to <adjective>". Has this changed since my schooldays?
As in, the temperature is higher than I want - it's too hot? Yes that's correct. "To hot" would be a mistake.

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,598
Ibix said:
As in, the temperature is higher than I want - it's too hot? Yes that's correct. "To hot" would be a mistake.
Thanks. In this case it seems that the English language suffers the same as the German. The amount of people who know how to use the language properly appears to decrease. And I'm only talking about those who grew up in the corresponding environment.

• #3,599
Don't read Feersum Endjin by Iain M Banks then. About a third if it, including the title, is written by someone who really, really can't spell. & u ½ 2 rede it v. cairfuley & sloelee. Particularly because that character turns out to be the one with the best overview of what on Earth is going on.

• #3,600
Ibix said:
& u ½ 2 rede it v. cairfuley & sloelee.
say what, now?

"and you have to read it v. (very?) carefully and slowly"?

• #3,601
nuuskur said:
say what, now?

"and you have to read it v. (very?) carefully and slowly"?
Yup. Now imagine a third of a novel written like that. It's a good novel, but I've only read it twice because it's such a pain to read...

• #3,602
There is someone in my work group who likes to show up at our table just to
ask what we're doing, ultimately leading to him telling us how he
knows and understands everything better than we do, yet never actually
saying nor explaining anything. I have to bite my lip
to avoid telling him something along the lines of
: " If I tell you how amazing you are, will you stop showing up
around here?"

• #3,604
fresh_42 said:
How about "up and off"?
Problem is I may see him in other meetings so I need to have some level of diplomacy.

• #3,605
WWGD said:
There is someone in my work group who likes to show up at our table just to
ask what we're doing, ultimately leading to him telling us how he
knows and understands everything better than we do, yet never actually
saying nor explaining anything. I have to bite my lip
to avoid telling him something along the lines of
: " If I tell you how amazing you are, will you stop showing up
around here?"

in the spirit of humour (but not mean-spirited), maybe you could say you are working on something completely non-sensical / archaic, then he responds that he knows how to do that and is great at it too... The punch line is when you point out that no one would ever do said thing because ___ .

- - - -
Alternative idea:

Guy stops by, asks what you're doing.

"I just got off the phone. The Jerk store called, and they're running out of you!"

Likes WWGD