What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,956
WWGD said:
So is it the real life or is it just fantasy...?
Old, but still funny:

Iif you're a Star Trek nerd, identify the episodes.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,957
Ibix said:
Old, but still funny:

Iif you're a Star Trek nerd, identify the episodes.

I need to update my cheesy pop references. But then again, I am kind of a newcomer, I started listening to them in the 2000s.

• #3,958
WWGD said:
I need to update my cheesy pop references. But then again, I am kind of a newcomer, I started listening to them in the 2000s.
They gained my full attention in 1978 :biggrin:

• #3,959
fresh_42 said:
They gained my full attention in 1978 :biggrin:
I incredibly had just passing experience with them. I think I got into them after some " Wayne World" movie.

• #3,960
Does anyone not know Bohemian Rhapsody? It's one of those things that seems to me to have entered the collective unconscious.

It's possible my sample of "the collective" is biased by my age group.

• #3,961
Ibix said:
Does anyone not know Bohemian Rhapsody? It's one of those things that seems to me to have entered the collective unconscious.

It's possible my sample of "the collective" is biased by my age group.
Best song ever!

I think there is a collective cultural consciousness. As far as cult movies (Rocky Horror), songs (Beatles) or books (Hitchhiker) are concerned, there is a new commonness at least in the western world. The men - women thing works probably throughout the species. I'm always surprised by our similarities, although certain groups do their best to tell us the opposite.

• #3,962
fresh_42 said:
I'm always surprised by our similarities, although certain groups do their best to tell us the opposite.
Yeah. My wife's Spanish and I've spent quite a lot of time in Spain. There are huge differences from English culture (rules are much more like guidelines, deadlines aren't really, they are LOUD, children are accepted anywhere at any time but nowhere has a baby change table, they drive on the wrong side of the road). But so much is the same - the humour, the music, stories, TV, selfish politicians, getting together for a meal... The differences are mostly stylistic, not really substantive. IMO.

• #3,963
Ibix said:
... The differences are mostly stylistic, not really substantive. IMO.
aka, nothing that a Sangria/Beer cannot take care of :).

Likes fresh_42 and Ibix
  • #3,964
WWGD said:
aka, nothing that a Sangria/Beer cannot take care of :).
True. :smile: Although Spanish beer comes in very small servings. I miss pints when I'm there...

• #3,965
Ibix said:
True. :smile: Although Spanish beer comes in very small servings. I miss pints when I'm there...
I was lucky when in Madrid. They had a Hard Rock Cafe next to the hotel :smile:

• #3,966
There was a very small earthquake while I was sitting on the toilet I was like: "I swear... if this toilet breaks and I fall on the water... I'm going to rage." The toilet was wobbling.

Makes you think about the people that live in places where this stuff happens constantly. They must think: "Okay, I'm going to the bathroom now. Let's hope there won't be an earthquake..."

• #3,967
Psinter said:
There was a very small earthquake while I was sitting on the toilet I was like: "I swear... if this toilet breaks and I fall on the water... I'm going to rage." The toilet was wobbling.

I'm now. Let's hope there won't be an earthquake..."
Just eat more fruit!

Likes Psinter
  • #3,968
I keep on stupidly bringing up political topics when having casual exchanges. I need to stop.

• #3,970
fresh_42 said:
It's hard not to these days.
Sad thing is many are unable to disagree in a reasonable way.Edit : including myself at times, I am embarrassed to admit. Less so now, but still at times.

Last edited:
  • #3,971
WWGD said:
I keep on stupidly bringing up political topics when having casual exchanges. I need to stop.
How I imagine discussing politics goes for people: :biggrin:

https://i.imgur.com/I9SoCBc.png (You can zoom in the link)

I9SoCBc.png

Attachments

• I9SoCBc.png
    I9SoCBc.png
    45 KB · Views: 214
Likes WWGD
  • #3,972
WWGD said:
Sad thing is many are unable to disagree in a reasonable way.Edit : including myself at times, I am embarrassed to admit. Less so now, but still at times.
What's really sad is, that certain unpleasant phenomena seem to appear at very different places on this globe, and all of which have been unexpected by the values they claimed to follow.

• #3,973
First saw this on the Greater Portland (Oregon) Aquarium Society facebook page.
I believe these guys are members of the club.
I guess thing get around.
30052320_589860774706670_2221091427078262382_o.jpg

Attachments

• 30052320_589860774706670_2221091427078262382_o.jpg
    30052320_589860774706670_2221091427078262382_o.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 212
Likes WWGD and Psinter
  • #3,974
I can see why AI is so difficult. I can see machines misinterpreting:

1)Auto Repair: Wait, it repairs itself? Then why do we need a store for it?

2)Midtown Towing: Wait: you are going to tow the whole midtown? What for? Where to?

• #3,975
fresh_42 said:
Best song ever.

I say 'Somebody to Love's is up there too, quality wise.

• #3,976
WWGD said:
I can see why AI is so difficult. I can see machines misinterpreting:

1)Auto Repair: Wait, it repairs itself? Then why do we need a store for it?

2)Midtown Towing: Wait: you are going to tow the whole midtown? What for? Where to?
I don't recall where I read it, but on computer vision someone once said that we'll know we've cracked it when a system can look at an image and say "that's a brown cow with five legs". A system, in other words, that fits a new object into a classification scheme (cow), recognising subclasses (brown cows) and flagging oddities (five legs). I think the same applies to parsing natural language. I mean, just go and read the Lame Jokes thread. About 50% of it is posters deliberately invoking confusion of the kind you're making here.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,977
Ibix said:
I don't recall where I read it, but on computer vision someone once said that we'll know we've cracked it when a system can look at an image and say "that's a brown cow with five legs". A system, in other words, that fits a new object into a classification scheme (cow), recognising subclasses (brown cows) and flagging oddities (five legs). I think the same applies to parsing natural language. I mean, just go and read the Lame Jokes thread. About 50% of it is posters deliberately invoking confusion of the kind you're making here.
Yes, god point. But I see a problem is "size": there are infinitely-many types of situations that are not likely to fit within a finite set of premises/rules. It may be a good idea if someone could address this satisfactorily ( I will keep to the lame jokes for now -- meaning any and all jokes coming from me :) ). EDIT: There is a parallel to this: the need for a Supreme Court because , I posit, no finite collection of laws can cover/describe any possible situation that may arise in the interactions between people.

Last edited:
  • #3,978
WWGD said:
Yes, god point. But I see a problem is "size": there are infinitely-many types of situations that are not likely to fit within a finite set of premises/rules. It may be a good idea if someone could address this satisfactorily ( I will keep to the lame jokes for now -- meaning any and all jokes coming from me :) ). EDIT: There is a parallel to this: the need for a Supreme Court because , I posit, no finite collection of laws can cover/describe any possible situation that may arise in the interactions between people.
Doesn't this just boil down to whether you think humans are computers with delusions of grandeur or not? If we are then it must be possible to write a computer program to do the same - to be able to generate new classifications and new rules when the existing ones don't work, or can only be regarded as guidelines. If not, then possibly not.

• #3,979
Ibix said:
Doesn't this just boil down to whether you think humans are computers with delusions of grandeur or not? If we are then it must be possible to write a computer program to do the same - to be able to generate new classifications and new rules when the existing ones don't work, or can only be regarded as guidelines. If not, then possibly not.
Unfortunately I never finished "The Emperor's New Mind" nor "Godel, Escher Bach" , nor related books, but I think you did get to the meat of the issue, but unfortunately I don't have a good answer at this point EDIT .<Sigh> I miss the days of undergrad where you could afford to spend days thinking about this type of questions.

• #3,980
WWGD said:
"Godel, Escher Bach"
I think it's an xkcd cartoon that proposes a six-word biography of Hofstadter - "I'm So Meta Even This Acronym".

I don't think anyone has a complete answer to the question yet. And I suspect that even if we built AIs that produce grand symphonies, beautiful paintings, and a rigorous proof of the Riemann Hypothesis, you'd still find people arguing that they aren't really thinking. And yes, "they" can be read two ways in that last sentence... :wink:

• #3,981
Ibix said:
I think it's an xkcd cartoon that proposes a six-word biography of Hofstadter - "I'm So Meta Even This Acronym".

I don't think anyone has a complete answer to the question yet. And I suspect that even if we built AIs that produce grand symphonies, beautiful paintings, and a rigorous proof of the Riemann Hypothesis, you'd still find people arguing that they aren't really thinking. And yes, "they" can be read two ways in that last sentence... :wink:
Yes, maybe it is just us Math, Physics people who understand the need to fix definitions while having discussions of this sort, and adjusting them as needed or face wasting time endlessly getting nowhere. Hey, seems like a good idea for a Monte Python skit; too bad I am some 30 years late for that.

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,982
How about a meta on Hofstadter s meta analysis? A mouthful of a lot name too.

• #3,983
Whatever happened to Scooby shoe?

• #3,984
I have no idea. His profile page says last seen in 9/29/17 and the last post I've found has been from 6/5/17. It contained nothing which would have indicated a waving goodbye.

• #3,985
fresh_42 said:
I have no idea. His profile page says last seen in 9/29/17 and the last post I've found has been from 6/5/17. It contained nothing which would have indicated a waving goodbye.
Thanks. But then again, neither did Belgium team's webpage... ??

• #3,986
I wonder if going from being a chap to a fellow is an improvement.

• #3,987
WWGD said:
Thanks. But then again, neither did Belgium team's webpage... ??
Probably better so. I don't think that the Belgians would have had a good chance against Croatia ...

• #3,988
fresh_42 said:
Probably better so. I don't think that the Belgians would have had a good chance against Croatia ...
Ouch...You a chap or a fella? Some #$% told me both games were tomorrow and I missed Belgium- France.

Last edited:
  • #3,989
Guess I'm a dude, since my dictionary notes both - chap and fella - with a [Br.].

• #3,990
fresh_42 said:
Guess I'm a dude, since my dictionary notes both - chap and fella - with a [Br.].
I used to think a fellowship is one where everyone must call you 'fellow'.