What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,306
Tomorrow a bar in town (Springfield actually) is having a Pirate Party:
Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 10.39.20 PM.png

I'll call it:
Drink Like A Pirate Day!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 10.39.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 10.39.20 PM.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 586
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,307
WWGD said:
Did she really believe I was serious?
Well, you did believe she was seriouso0)
Of course she did it on purpose. I mean, the rain.

• #4,308
I had a Sprite today at McDonald's drive-in. No Coke, no Fanta. And now I get Sprite ads on the computer, no Coke, no Fanta - Sprite! This is eerie!

• #4,309
Why does everyone--men and women-- turn their heads when someone shouts Lisa! in a crowded place?

• #4,310
fresh_42 said:
I had a Sprite today at McDonald's drive-in. No Coke, no Fanta. And now I get Sprite ads on the computer, no Coke, no Fanta - Sprite! This is eerie!
Did you conduct the transaction completely anonymously using cash, or was some personal electronic device or payment card involved?

• #4,311
DrGreg said:
Did you conduct the transaction completely anonymously using cash, or was some personal electronic device or payment card involved?
Nope, cash. (I know it is by chance and not on purpose ... I hope.)

Edit; But theoretically you can automatically read the number plate, which is easy in this narrow queue, check the driver and so on and so on. Those days will come, I assume.

• #4,312
DrGreg said:
anonymously
fresh_42 said:
Nope, cash.
Camera(s) on the transaction? "Big Brother" really is watching everything these days.

• #4,313
fresh_42 said:
I once just put my card through the chip reader and somehow a receipt was sent to my phone. I had never given my phone number to anyone in that store. Pretty likely Google , FB or some otherr gathering data about you from different sources, forming a profile.

• #4,314
fresh_42 said:
they are watching!

• #4,315
nuuskur said:
they are watching!
Was this book "How to Disappear" which included a section on deleting one's electronic tracks . I had this idea at some point of agreeing with a friend to exchange use if credit cards (to be paid in full to the other person ultimately n) so that one person's expenses appear as the others .Even better if your friend lives far from you, even in another country. It would seriously throw off any pattern someone collecting your data could come up with. Or do something similar by buying each other gift cards for the same amount.

• #4,316
WWGD said:
Was this book "How to Disappear" which included a section on deleting one's electronic tracks . I had this idea at some point of agreeing with a friend to exchange use if credit cards (to be paid in full to the other person ultimately n) so that one person's expenses appear as the others .Even better if your friend lives far from you, even in another country. It would seriously throw off any pattern someone collecting your data could come up with. Or do something similar by buying each other gift cards for the same amount.
I used this a couple of times in a homeworker store. They usually ask for your zip code, probably in order to know where to spread their print ads. Well, that was easy ... Although, those franchises operate country wide. I wonder if they exchanged those data. Sad thing is, I'm convinced they don't.

• #4,317
On the topic of soft drinks, I do like Fanta a bit since I used to drink that the most, but I'm not really a fan of them anymore. Orange juice is much more delicious, albeit more expensive, but it's worth it.

• #4,318
nuuskur said:
On the topic of soft drinks, I do like Fanta a bit since I used to drink that the most, but I'm not really a fan of them anymore. Orange juice is much more delicious, albeit more expensive, but it's worth it.
I was almost addicted to fresh-squeezed juice at one point. I had to force myself to stop because it was becoming too expensive.

• #4,319
To my old friend and mentor, Lester (Andy) Anderson, WOAFQ, RIP.

Likes WWGD and Ibix
  • #4,320
Summer officially over, at least in northern hemisphere, tomorrow.

• #4,321
BillTre said:
Tomorrow a bar in town (Springfield actually) is having a Pirate Party:
View attachment 230863

I'll call it:
Drink Like A Pirate Day!
Which of the 10+ Sprinfields?

• #4,322
The one in Oregon.
Right next to Eugene.

• #4,323
WWGD said:
Why does everyone--men and women-- turn their heads when someone shouts Lisa! in a crowded place?
They are excited about the laser interferometer space antenna.

Likes nuuskur, BillTre and WWGD
  • #4,324
stefan r said:
They are excited about the laser interferometer space antenna.
All except those in the SAA (Society Against Abbreviations ;)).

• #4,325
I've lived in this town for nearly fifteen years. I just noticed a shop sign for a (long-defunct, I suspect) business high up on the end wall of a building that I've passed probably a thousand times. They were blind makers, apparently...

• #4,326
So you were blind to it?

Likes Ibix
  • #4,327
Or I was made blind to it!

<dun dun DUNNNNN!>

• #4,328
Ibix said:
I've lived in this town for nearly fifteen years. I just noticed a shop sign for a (long-defunct, I suspect) business high up on the end wall of a building that I've passed probably a thousand times. They were blind makers, apparently...
I once had to explain somebody how to find the way from the airport to my house. And although I certainly had taken the route hundreds of times, I couldn't tell what exactly was written on the street signs, e.g. which town in the northern direction was actually on the sign for the exit to the north.

• #4,329
fresh_42 said:
I once had to explain somebody how to find the way from the airport to my house. And although I certainly had taken the route hundreds of times, I couldn't tell what exactly was written on the street signs, e.g. which town in the northern direction was actually on the sign for the exit to the north.
I can actually direct people pretty well in this town and both cities where I studied, because when I moved there I bought a streetmap. The city I grew up in, though, and my wife's hometown I'm hopeless in. I can get from anywhere to anywhere, but I've no idea about street names or anything. In both cases I learned my way around by following someone who knew the place, so I just learned how to get from place to place without any formal structure to it.

• #4,330
Cities with a grid system are, I guess, the simplest to navigate, find your way . Place p is at street x, avenue y. But then some will complain layout is too boring. Edit: But you may also have people assign names instead of numbers to the avenues. Can't win.

• #4,331
Objection! Biased!
WWGD said:
Cities with a grid system are, I guess, the simplest to navigate, find your way . Place p is at street x, avenue y. But then some will complain layout is too boring. Edit: But you may also have people assign names instead of numbers to the avenues. Can't win.
I've once been in such a city: All I remember are the middle of the alphabet and a couple of numbers. I like mnemonics, aka names. Grids aren't boring, they are confusing.

Likes DrGreg
  • #4,332
No matter how lazy or tired I feel at a given moment, I cannot get myself to throw a book in the trash. I am doing a periodic cleaning (An iteration of it) and it would be much easier to throw them in the trash. Instead I traveled th mile plus carrying heavy bags to donate them to the thrift shop.

• #4,333
WWGD said:
Instead I traveled th mile plus carrying heavy bags to donate them to the thrift shop.
Good boy!

I can't throw away books either. Except one, which I would burn, in case I would have to steal it from somebody who might have it if I saw.

• #4,334
fresh_42 said:
Good boy!

I can't throw away books either. Except one, which I would burn, in case I would have to steal it from somebody who might have it if I saw.
Wow! You should write promos for movies, you got me all intrigued about it.

• #4,335
I'm going to drink beer all day :cool:

When I see photos of galaxies, there's always a bright center like a huge star is there, but isn't the center supposed to be a black hole that absorbs light instead?

huh.gif

EDIT: That must be a cluster of stars with a black hole in the center. It looks like one star.

6b5jva1hpvn11.jpg

Attachments

• huh.gif
    huh.gif
    1 MB · Views: 340
  • 6b5jva1hpvn11.jpg
    6b5jva1hpvn11.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
  • #4,336
Ibix said:
Wow, you must have kept your nose to the books pretty tight for that. I myself just realized I had 10 fingers and 10 toes!

• #4,337
Verdict on show 'Friends' .
50% : Effortless Laugh
50% Laughless Effort

• #4,338
WWGD said:
Verdict on show 'Friends' .
50% : Effortless Laugh
50% Laughless Effort
The story of my life.
50%: Effortless Love.
50%: Loveless Effort.

• #4,339
fresh_42 said:
The story of my life.
50%: Effortless Love.
50%: Loveless Effort.
Ok, we're friends then, I guess (! ??) Freunde?

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
  • #4,340
fresh_42 said:
Sounds very specific. Complete stab in the dark here
The Mystery of 2012: Predictions, Prophecies & Possibilities (if you have any regard for logic, you should burn the book no later than by page 20), I can't recall the authors, likely not worth mentioning, either.