What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,601
fresh_42 said:
That comes when you change wording while typing. At the beginning of a sentence I automatically hit caps.

How should I know what I think before I read what I typed?
How should I know /

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,602
WWGD said:
How should I know /
Yeah, beside that y and z are exchanged, the special characters are different, too. That was especially annoying at times you had to boot from a floppy disk which didn't have the German keyboard setting in the autoexec.bat

• #5,603
fresh_42 said:
Yeah, beside that y and z are exchanged, the special characters are different, too. That was especially annoying at times you had to boot from a floppy disk which didn't have the German keyboard setting in the autoexec.bat
Triest Dvorak (Dvorach?) keybored (before it expires ;))?

• #5,604
Wonder why SQL Server services don't start automatically when you load SSMS. It took me a while to figure this was the main reason for the inability to connect. But adding Python, R and ML to SQL Server allows me to forgive them. More so when I finally learn to use it.

• #5,606
fresh_42 said:
I only know Antonín Dvořák.
Know him? He died in 1904! aka 1904 1. Besides, he was Czech, mate (Or Check mate!)

• #5,607
WWGD said:
Know him? He died in 1904! aka 1904 1. Besides, he was Czech, mate (Or Check mate!)
I know him, but he only speaks czech, so I do not understand him. The séances are bit boring.

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #5,608
fresh_42 said:
I know him, but he only speaks czech, so I do not understand him. The séances are bit boring.
In the restaurant? Czech please!

• #5,609
fresh_42 said:
Seances? I too confuse 'regression' with Spiritism. I once tried to conjure someone only to hear them say : " I am not dead yet!".

• #5,610
49218367891_02e205e0dd_b_d.jpg

Likes Ibix
  • #5,611
Houses that cannot stand, based on the street name...

• Love
Likes nsaspook
  • #5,612
I heard of this unusual Rock or general experimental music band whose name was pretty bizarre, no letters nor numbers, something like ))|:)... and who's music had no melody, but I can't remember nor find its name through a search. Guess they don't need to choose a name that people will remember.

• #5,613
This is the most absurd I can come up with:

Btw, been to Brooklyn lately?

• #5,614
fresh_42 said:
This is the most absurd I can come up with:

Btw, been to Brooklyn lately?

No, I don't think that's the band, the song has some melody.

• #5,616
fresh_42 said:
What is this?
x
?? What's what?

• #5,617
Said hello effusively to someone in the streets I knew, to their obvious puzzlement. Later on I realized it is a lady I had often seen at the post office but had never met. Subconsciously I guess I assumed I knew her. I've heard of people with similar situations with TV personalities. You see them daily on TV, so when you see them in the streets, if you're a little distracted you say hi to them as if you knew them in person.

• #5,618
WWGD said:
?? What's what?
The hidden variable.

• #5,619
fresh_42 said:
The hidden variable.
Maybe you're looki g for the Quantum forum?

• #5,620
WWGD said:
Maybe you're looki g for the Quantum forum?
I left one in Lame Jokes but nobody guessed. (Near the Time Square discussion.)

• #5,621
fresh_42 said:
I left one in Lame Jokes but nobody guessed. (Near the Time Square discussion.)
Now the two are entangled.

• #5,622
Auto (in) correct almost causing a major confrontation in another site:

Spit on Steve !
(Spot on, Steve!).

• #5,623
I'm afraid I sowed the germ of evil today!

McDonald's drive thrus have usually three stops here: order - pay - receive food. Some genius at my usual McDoof has had an idea! As I asked for the bill they told me that I would get it together with the food. I couldn't help, I just had to tell them that there is a fundamental flaw in their logic and this new procedure is complete bs. Seems I was the first one who taught them. Now they know. Crap, I need a new franchise.

• #5,624
fresh_42 said:
I'm afraid I sowed the germ of evil today!

McDonald's drive thrus have usually three stops here: order - pay - receive food. Some genius at my usual McDoof has had an idea! As I asked for the bill they told me that I would get it together with the food. I couldn't help, I just had to tell them that there is a fundamental flaw in their logic and this new procedure is complete bs. Seems I was the first one who taught them. Now they know. Crap, I need a new franchise.
You mean because it is harder to correct errors in the check?

• #5,625
WWGD said:
You mean because it is harder to correct errors in the check?
It is impossible. The bill became completely meaningless. They could as well hand out anything.

• #5,626
It's hardly cheap as some claim, for a reasonable amount of food.

• #5,627
WWGD said:
It's hardly cheap as some claim, for a reasonable amount of food.
Yep, it's relatively expensive. More than twice the price of a Döner. And the Döner has far better nutrition data. Plus they don't have refills here.

• #5,628
Doner is Kebob? ( Or , for my friend Robert: Kebob)

• #5,629
WWGD said:
Doner is Kebob? ( Or , for my friend Robert: Kebob)
1576690331750.png

• Wow
Likes Klystron
  • #5,630
fresh_42 said:
Ah, I see those in the streets. Did not know they had been industrialized.

• #5,631
The story says that a Turk, Kadir Nurman, in Berlin invented it in the 60's or so. The dish wasn't new, they usually serve it for lunch. The man recognized that all people hurried on the streets during lunchtime and nobody stopped by to sit down in his little restaurant. Then he had the idea to make a to-go version of it.

Annual sales are now at 3.5bn in Germany.

Last edited:
Likes Ibix
  • #5,632
fresh_42 said:
The story says that a Turkey, Kadir Nurman, in Berlin invented it in the 60's or so.
In case that's not just a typo, a Turk, or a Turkish person, is someone from Turkey. A turkey is a kind of bird, or a childish insult in the US.

Likes fresh_42
  • #5,633
Ibix said:
In case that's not just a typo, a Turk, or a Turkish person, is someone from Turkey. A turkey is a kind of bird, or a childish insult in the US.
Possibly a inadvertent transliteration from the German. Like Turkite?

• #5,634
And a source of confusion too, as in a few years back: Airplane goes down, shot by Turkey.

• #5,635
Fred Wright said:
Possibly a inadvertent transliteration from the German. Like Turkite?
I admit I was too lazy to look it up. In other cases adjective, noun, and nationality match. The situation isn't any better in German: to "turk" something means to fake something. When they celebrated the opening of the Kiel Canal in 1895 many ships from many nations were present. The orchestra played the national anthems accordingly. Unfortunately they didn't had the notes of the Turkish anthem, so they decided to play the "Rondo Alla Turca" from Mozart instead. We use to turk as a verb for to fake since then.

I truly hope that this anecdote is invented, but I fear it is not. The piece reminds of the turkish (osmanic) occupation of Vienna. A strange association for the opening festivities of the canal.