What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
This woman gave me a weird look. She was wearing a t-shirt with the word "misunderstood". I asked her : Misunderstood or Mrs Understood? No real reason, I am a sucker for a bad pun. She then just said " I'm married !" and walked away.

Likes Pepper Mint and Sophia
Physics news on Phys.org
Pepper Mint said:
I promise myself from now on that I will ignore all posts that contain specific regional units in physics e.g mile, feet, foot, yard, gallon, etc. :smile: I have a headache to imagine how long or large something is.
Too bad, I just drank a Gallon-lightyear- bushel-millisecond of orange juice/distance/time, and it was great, but you will miss it because of your policy.

Likes Pepper Mint and ProfuselyQuarky
WWGD said:
Too bad, I just drank a Gallon-lightyear- bushel-millisecond of orange juice/distance/time, and it was great, but you will miss it because of your policy.
You all are so lucky. My Mayan calendar doesn't work anymore :cry:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
fresh_42 said:
You all are so lucky. My Mayan calendar doesn't work anymore :cry:
Mine neither, it's in the shop.

WWGD said:
I am a sucker for a bad pun.
Yes, you are. If I could, I'd set you up by giving a large, bad tempered guy who just got out of prison a t-shirt that said "misanthrope," and arranging for him to walk by you. Hopefully, you wouldn't be able to resist saying, "Misanthrope, or Miss Ann Thrope?"

Likes Sophia
zoobyshoe said:
Yes, you are.
. That obvious, huh :)?

WWGD said:
. That obvious, huh :)?
I've once been told I'd rather lose a good friend than a bad punchline. I do understand you.

Likes WWGD
fresh_42 said:
I've once been told I'd rather lose a good friend than a bad punchline. I do understand you.
Hey, bro!

Likes fresh_42
(Currently on TV, concert from 2015 in France!) Iggy is still good! At 68! On stage! And he isn't cheating. Instead of extending the wild one to at least 10 minutes he performed it pretty much in the original length. Respect! If I think of nowadays musicians though ...

Last edited:
This true tale falls under the heading of eerie coincidences. Do not click on the spoiler if large insects bother you.

So, the other day I was sitting beneath a shade tree outside a cafe´ reading a science fiction book. In the book a group of people confined to isolated quarters was being attacked by these worm-like parasites that hailed from an extra-terrestrial source. Right as I was reading this, I looked up and saw this guy:

huge%20caterpillar_zpsspm74irl.jpg

He was huge, about 4 inches long.

I think he will turn into one of those really large moths.

zoobyshoe said:
This true tale falls under the heading of eerie coincidences. Do not click on the spoiler if large insects bother you.

So, the other day I was sitting beneath a shade tree outside a cafe´ reading a science fiction book. In the book a group of people confined to isolated quarters was being attacked by these worm-like parasites that hailed from an extra-terrestrial source. Right as I was reading this, I looked up and saw this guy:

huge%20caterpillar_zpsspm74irl.jpg

he's cute :) You see, you don't need VR glasses (I don't know what they are really called but I'm sure you get me) in order to see what's in a book!

zoobyshoe said:
... or make the day for a bird :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
I don't remember my year of birth, hence I don't really know my age. I was too young to remember it if they ever told it to me. However I have some hopes : I got a wisdom tooth extraction a few days ago and I may use radiocarbon dating on that tooth to retrieve an approximate date.

Likes Sophia and fresh_42
fluidistic said:
I don't remember my year of birth, hence I don't really know my age. I was too young to remember it if they ever told it to me.

You don't sometimes remember that 'squeezed' sensation ?

Likes OCR
One of these days I am going to do something really drastic and take a look at some of the 500+ pages I have bookmarked.
Actually, most likely I will keep bookmarking at the rate of 20+ per day.

Likes beamie564, Sophia and OCR
What a poor library! Average people are becoming racist against it. :biggrin:

Do you always sell people out after you think you already get enough from them ?

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:

Hey, if it works for you who am I to say? :wink:

Likes Pepper Mint
Currently I am in a bad mood when my question above is so touching.
There are a great deal of reasons to explain why I am in a bad mood and / or messing things up, don't know if people care to hear. :oldcool:

Pepper Mint said:
There are a great deal of reasons to explain why I am in a bad mood and / or messing things up, don't know if people care to hear.

Sure, go ahead and tell us..

ib91679.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
I am a gold digger.

Pepper Mint said:
I am a gold digger

Well, that sums it up pretty succinctly. But happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road where the proverbial pot of gold is rumored to be found:

stock-illustration-23387395-leprechaun-with-pot-of-gold.jpg

All you are likely to find there is a fool.

Likes Pepper Mint
DiracPool said:
Well, that sums it up pretty succinctly. But happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road where the proverbial pot of gold is rumored to be found:

stock-illustration-23387395-leprechaun-with-pot-of-gold.jpg

All you are likely to find there is a fool.
I know it's the fool but thinking deeper about his foolishness, I feel sorry for him. The worst thing then is no one feels sorry for me.

BTW, I really like your attached image! Very cute!

Pepper Mint said:
The worst thing then is no one feels sorry for me.

There's where you're wrong, I'd gladly take a break from feeling sorry for myself for a while to feel sorry for you. So, let it all out. :oldsmile:

Likes Pepper Mint
Lost-interest.jpg

DiracPool said:
... So, let it all out. :oldsmile:
No, no need. Even if lost, one has to be in a beautiful fallen figure. That is part of what I define as professional behaviors. People won't have a reason to tenderize the dead meat then. :oldbiggrin:

Pepper Mint said:
Even if lost, one has to be in a beautiful fallen figure.

That's why we have country music.

Likes DiracPool and Pepper Mint
Background music: excellent. It really gets me every time I listen to it.
Team Performance: best of the best

Likes Sophia
A package (parcel) arrived yesterday, but one of the items that I ordered was missing. So I called up Amazon's customer support. The conversation started off with Amazon saying that they will mail me a sticker that I can use to return the missing item for a refund.

I live almost across the street from a UPS store, so it would not be inconvenient for me to head over there.

But if the absurdity of returning a missing item doesn't strike you, think about it for a second.

collinsmark said:
The conversation started off with Amazon saying that they will mail me a sticker that I can use to return the missing item for a refund.
Must have been a mathematician on the line.

Likes jim hardy
collinsmark said:
...But if the absurdity of returning a missing item doesn't strike you, think about it for a second.
In my case either I return everything to the seller or they have to deliver me the missing item or a totally new package if things inside are parts of a whole system.
Usually I personally throw an exception to return everything to them then pick another seller.

Likes Ibix
Pepper Mint said:
I am a gold digger.
So am I

upload_2016-8-17_12-0-33.png

Likes beamie564, 1oldman2, ProfuselyQuarky and 2 others
Pepper Mint said:
Usually I personally throw an exception to return everything to them then pick another seller.
Code:
$ ping -O peppermint
no answer yet for icmp_seq=54 
no answer yet for icmp_seq=55
no answer yet for icmp_seq=56

Likes Pepper Mint
collinsmark said:
A package (parcel) arrived yesterday, but one of the items that I ordered was missing. So I called up Amazon's customer support. The conversation started off with Amazon saying that they will mail me a sticker that I can use to return the missing item for a refund.

I live almost across the street from a UPS store, so it would not be inconvenient for me to head over there.

But if the absurdity of returning a missing item doesn't strike you, think about it for a second.

hahaha :)
Did you try to explain the problem with this or did your jaw drop in silence?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Sophia said:
hahaha :)
Did you try to explain the problem with this or did your jaw drop in silence?
I actually asked for clarification, "So, you want me to mail you an empty box? In what size of box should I put the nothing?"

Likes Psinter, ProfuselyQuarky, Pepper Mint and 2 others
collinsmark said:
I actually asked for clarification, "So, you want me to mail you an empty box? In what size of box should I put the nothing?"
OMG that conversation must have been hilarious :) How did it continue?