Random Thoughts part 6

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Question of the day: can every Markov chain be converted into a time-homogeneous Markov chain?

OmCheeto

Gold Member
Today, I calculated, via very bad maths, and or statistics, that I will die on Monday, February 19, 2029.

Not sure of the hour, nor the venue.

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Mostly bad statistics, is my guess.
I think the appropriate question is "what is the average age at death of men in your country, excluding those who died younger than you are now". I'd expect some pretty broad confidence limits.

Isn't there a Heinlein short story about someone who works out an accurate method of predicting date of death? I think he gets murdered by a rampaging mob of life insurance salesmen.
I didn't see that guy, the other day, because of both the weather[1], and statistics[2].
I saw he was coming to the UK. I must admit I didn't even try for tickets for reason (2).

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Someone a while back wished me a long and painful death . Still, I told them, isn't that what life is,a long and painful death?

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Someone a while back wished me a long and painful death . Still, I told them, isn't that what life is,a long and painful death?
Life is a disease with a 100% mortality rate, for sure.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Life is a disease with a 100% mortality rate, for sure.
Leading cause of death. Let's do away with it...to cut down the death rate ??!!

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Today, I calculated, via very bad maths, and or statistics, that I will die on Monday, February 19, 2029.

When was the next approximation of Apophis?

Water and the air are deadly. Everybody dies eventually
:nb)

BillTre

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Life is a terminal disease.
You pass it on to your children.

collinsmark

Homework Helper
Gold Member
'Reminds me of this:

(Original source: Kentucky Fried Movie)

OmCheeto

Gold Member
I think the appropriate question is "what is the average age at death of men in your country, excluding those who died younger than you are now". I'd expect some pretty broad confidence limits.
It was mostly for fun, so very little effort went into making it realistic.
I quit smoking this last May, and the effects have not been wearing off fast enough, so I periodically google; "When is this going to end?", and I run across all manner of 'new to me' statistics.
The first graph I curve fit, gave me my death date.
The second graph I curve fit, told me that humans have a life expectancy of 240 years.

I found that quite amazing.

ps. I may have omitted a couple of important data points.

Isn't there a Heinlein short story about someone who works out an accurate method of predicting date of death? I think he gets murdered by a rampaging mob of life insurance salesmen.
Although a fan of Heinlein, I do not recall that story.

I saw he was coming to the UK. I must admit I didn't even try for tickets for reason (2).
Over the last week, I've watched 3 videos featuring Randall Munroe, as I didn't know what he looked nor sounded like. He doesn't strike me as a very entertaining speaker. But I've decided that I can't go near his website, as I will push the "random" button, for hours.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Automate:
Guy riding with you on your car.

Undergrads have very 'powerful' proof techniques.
  1. Assume [itex]A[/itex], therefore [itex]A[/itex]
  2. If you (the instructor) can't give a counter example to my (the student) claim, then my claim is true.
I don't recall teaching any of that .. :confused:

Klystron

Gold Member
ps. I may have omitted a couple of important data points.

Although a fan of Heinlein, I do not recall that story.
If memory serves, the short story is usually titled "Life-Line" and the scientist named Pinero. RAH published Lifeline in an SF pulp magazine and then in anthology "Future History".

The anthology usually contains short story "Misfit" about math marvel spaceman Libby and the novelette "Methuselah's Children" where Heinlein introduces immortal Lazarus Long and the long-lived Howard Families featured in subsequent novels.

While stealing a starship to flee Earth to save the Howard Families, Lazarus tells Libby that Pinero was not a charlatan. Under his nom-de-space Captain Shefield, Lazarus visited Pinero who computes Lazarus's lifeline but refuses to divulge how long Long is fated to live. Given your chart, you may be a hidden Howard.:cool:

Last edited:

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Refreshing my Python , writing a list of primes in a range. It runs....but prints out each number a weird number of times. AAGHHH. Maybe it is because of switching between versions 2,3, and between IDEs.

DEvens

Education Advisor
Gold Member

Are you a stand-up comic? Maybe it will be The Apollo?

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Refreshing my Python , writing a list of primes in a range. It runs....but prints out each number a weird number of times. AAGHHH. Maybe it is because of switching between versions 2,3, and between IDEs.
Why do you want to refresh your python? It doesn't even have arms, not to mention armpits.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why do you want to refresh your python? It doesn't even have arms, not to mention armpits.
Nein Python program. Python Fresh Air-keit.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
They go home to (Fresh* -Bel) Air

*Not necessarily _42

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wonder if 'Vannesso' would be a good men's name.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member