What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,316
Borg said:
Right click on the taskbar and select Turn Off in the News and Interests section.

Microsoft has been getting out of hand with these so-called "security updates" that are really security holes.

It worked, but now (after some hours) it messed up all the remaining symbols: slight shift to the right so that the time isn't fully visible, explorer symbols in the background, which only go away if hovered. Switching it on and off again helped, for now. It is annoying. We still have snowy rain according to MS. At 20° C air temperature! The next official meteorological station is about one mile from here. Do I expect too much when I think this should guarantee some accuracy? At least that snow thingy shouldn't occur on the first day of summer!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,317
You really should get a screenshot of that. You might not see snowy rain again for a long time. :oldbiggrin:

• #7,318
Your order, Sir!

1624386149148.png

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #7,319
fresh_42 said:
Your order, Sir!

View attachment 284904
I was going to suggest you were using F instead of C but just saw that was not the case.

• #7,320
fresh_42 said:
It worked, but now (after some hours) it messed up all the remaining symbols: slight shift to the right so that the time isn't fully visible, explorer symbols in the background, which only go away if hovered. Switching it on and off again helped, for now. It is annoying. We still have snowy rain according to MS. At 20° C air temperature! The next official meteorological station is about one mile from here. Do I expect too much when I think this should guarantee some accuracy? At least that snow thingy shouldn't occur on the first day of summer!
Strangely, I had something similar with my Android, which initialized itself to the wrong day and hour but promptly corrected itself. Maybe after all we've been through with Covid there is now a new ( electronic) virus? of course this is a major leap from just our two two cases.

• #7,321
The email to " Prof Escalera" was translated to " Stair Master".

• #7,322
WWGD said:
" Stair Master"
The AI probably heard of this:
SMGAUNTLETD1-2T.jpg

• #7,323
  • #7,324
Has anyone seen Chick-Fil-A shrinkflation?

Not sure if it's just my imagination or not, but their breakfast sandwiches (e.g., chicken biscuit...egg, sausage and cheese biscuits/muffins...) seem smaller.

I know restaurant inflation has been taking place:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...oost-menu-prices-at-fast-clip-to-recoup-costs

U.S. restaurants, faced with higher food and labor costs, are raising menu prices at a much faster pace than historical rates, insistent on preserving profits after an arduous year.

From local restaurants to national chains like Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc., owners have boosted prices by as much as 5% in the past few weeks alone. Even at fast-food companies that were locked in price wars just a couple of years ago to win over cost-conscious consumers, increases aren’t taboo anymore.
But, CFA's version seems (not sure) like shrinkflation. It's been a year since I've had them, so I don't recall 100% what they're like then. Pricing feels about the same.

• #7,325
kyphysics said:

Not sure if it's just my imagination or not, but their breakfast sandwiches (e.g., chicken biscuit...egg, sausage and cheese biscuits/muffins...) seem smaller.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...oost-menu-prices-at-fast-clip-to-recoup-costsBut, CFA's version seems (not sure) like shrinkflation. It's been a year since I've had them, so I don't recall 100% what they're like then. Pricing feels about the same.
I had a chicken biscuit this week. Didn’t notice anything. In my experience, there is a fair amount of variance in both the chicken and the biscuit size.

• #7,326
caz said:
I had a chicken biscuit this week. Didn’t notice anything. In my experience, there is a fair amount of variance in both the chicken and the biscuit size.
Strange; I thought the whole point of chains was to provide standardization, which usually implies little variability.

• #7,327
kyphysics said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...oost-menu-prices-at-fast-clip-to-recoup-costsBut, CFA's version seems (not sure) like shrinkflation. It's been a year since I've had them, so I don't recall 100% what they're like then. Pricing feels about the same.
I often see some trying to get away with such tricks: 50% of lunch where they serve you close to half the usual portion and they charge you for everything short of a plate: Ah, you want a chair/fork/napkin? That will be extra!

• #7,328
A recent exchange:
" He's being oxymoronic"
" No, he fully skipped the 'Oxy' part"

• #7,329
caz said:
I thought the chicken pieces (I bought several of the chicken biscuit sandwiches) seemed a lot thinner compared to the past, but with it being over a year, I just wasn't sure.

If they're the same, then I'd say their chicken just IS sort of on the thin side then (for my tastes). :smile: The taste was fantastic, though. At least I didn't notice lower quality ingredients.

• #7,330
kyphysics said:
I thought the chicken pieces (I bought several of the chicken biscuit sandwiches) seemed a lot thinner compared to the past, but with it being over a year, I just wasn't sure.

If they're the same, then I'd say their chicken just IS sort of on the thin side then (for my tastes). :smile: The taste was fantastic, though. At least I didn't notice lower quality ingredients.
I've never worked in the food industry but I can see how tempting it would be to cut down on quality or amounts of ingredients when times are bad, though it usually has disastrous consequences.

• #7,331
I think the supply chains for a fast food chain are so long that it would be a nontrivial exercise. I remember an article about why it took so long for Popeye’s to mass produce its chicken sandwich.

• #7,332
Believe it or not. The most interesting I found on tv is the live coverage of the French rugby final. In French, of course.

• #7,333
fresh_42 said:
Believe it or not. The most interesting I found on tv is the live coverage of the French rugby final. In French, of course.
Didn't even know they played rugby. I thought it was an Anglo country sport.

• #7,334
WWGD said:
Didn't even know they played rugby. I thought it was an Anglo country sport.
They do and it is pretty famous in France. Even Macron is present. And they are not that bad, although this match is a bit boring up to now. 22 minutes and no try.

• #7,335
fresh_42 said:
They do and it is pretty famous in France. Even Macron is present. And they are not that bad, although this match is a bit boring up to now. 22 minutes and no try.
H'about you Deutsche? Play Rugby too?

• #7,336
WWGD said:
H'about you Deutsche? Play Rugby too?
They do, and they play football, too. But I'm not sure whether I would call either one rugby or football.

Toulouse - La Rochelle 12-0 halftime, still no try

I don't have to mention that I wanted La Rochelle to win.

• #7,338
fresh_42 said:
It's raining in Paris.
There's an article in the Annals of Improbable Research about a study to determine which butterfly flapping its wings causes it to rain in Paris. IIRC, they study butterflies in the botanic gardens in Paris for reasons of convenience, and discard data from days when it wasn't raining because clearly no butterfly is making it rain those days. A highly trustworthy study.

• Haha
Likes WWGD, Klystron and BillTre
  • #7,339
In a match without tries, you cannot afford to miss the kicks. La Rochelle (3-12) missed already two.

• #7,340
I'm refusing to make the obvious joke.

• #7,341
18-8 final, one try from a scrum, too late too few from La Rochelle.

• #7,342
fresh_42 said:
They do, and they play football, too. But I'm not sure whether I would call either one rugby or football.

Toulouse - La Rochelle 12-0 halftime, still no try

I don't have to mention that I wanted La Rochelle to win.
And Tolouse To lose?

• #7,343
fresh_42 said:
In a match without tries, you cannot afford to miss the kicks. La Rochelle (3-12) missed already two.
Hope these are not the "Pumped up Kicks"

• #7,344
WWGD said:
Hope these are not the "Pumped up Kicks"
Funnily all interviews after the match were in English.

• #7,345
Ibix said:
I'm refusing to make the obvious joke.
Is that the one I did in #7342?

• #7,346
WWGD said:
Is that the one I did in #7342?
I was thinking of something like "try harder", so it seems there were two obvious jokes.

• #7,347
Maybe some day we can see a Rugby match played with a soccer ball and a soccer match played with a rugby " ball" if that is what is called.

• #7,348
WWGD said:
Maybe some day we can see a Rugby match played with a soccer ball and a soccer match played with a rugby " ball" if that is what is called.
I learned that not only Americans call their egg a ball, French call their egg ball (ballon), too.

• #7,349
Our dog has learned some key words or phrases, like 'outside' or 'do you need to go outside?', and 'eggs' or when my wife or I ask the other, 'would you like eggs?'. So we started to spell some words, but she seems to be learning to spell as well. She learned very quickly when we asked 'are you hungry?'.

Likes BillTre
  • #7,350
At home I make scrambled eggs for my dog for breakfast as well 😋

Likes BillTre