What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,386
Fun Summer song:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,387
Have you ever noticed that in all of the science fiction movies and shows where time slows down or stops for everyone and everything except the main character, it is never dark?

• Informative
Likes Astronuc, BillTre and Keith_McClary
  • #7,388
Ivan Seeking said:
Have you ever noticed that in all of the science fiction movies and shows where time slows down or stops for everyone and everything except the main character, it is never dark?
Good point. It should get dimmer and redder as it slows down. Then the main character would need a flashlight - but that would be like X-rays and go right through the slowed folks, so the main character wouldn't see much.

• #7,389
Ivan Seeking said:
it is never dark?
Smart!
It avoids the riot when the audience realizes they just paid for 10 minutes of... NOTHING.

• #7,390
Tom.G said:
Smart!
It avoids the riot when the audience realizes they just paid for 10 minutes of... NOTHING.
Temporal mechanics is a harsh mistress.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc and BillTre
  • #7,391
I thougt quantum mechanics were those who fixed quantum cars/machines.

• #7,392
Always good as reminder against anti vaxxers
main-qimg-f1155d65f25905937a556868e11efacc.png

• Love
Likes pinball1970, Astronuc, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #7,393
The hard part is removing the third column with all of the conspiracy theories.

• #7,394
Ivan Seeking said:
Indeed. That and the fact that the character is able to easily move around without creating sonic booms, not to mention the possibility of actually ionizing the air molecules around them. Yes, I think about that stuff every time.

Suspension of Disbelief gets me through it, though. I do enjoy a good scifi/ghost/fantasy/demon story, even if it isn't altogether realistic.

• #7,395
More shrinkflation:

Last time, I noticed it seemingly at Chick-Fil-A. Now, I'm getting less entree at Panda Express, while the noodle portion seems more (saw that with several dishes I ordered). Sneaky. I suppose it's harder to notice than a price change. And the food seems "less packed" into their bowls like before - now there is more empty pockets of space.

Pizza Hut, on the other hand, did raise their prices by $1-2 on main pizzas. Toppings feel the same.

Good thing Costco gas is cheap and their money-losing $5 fresh rotisserie chickens are still available.

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #7,396
Among the business maxims Alfred E. Perlman (President of the Penn Central Transportation Company and its predecessor, the New York Central Railroad) is best remembered for is a comment which appeared in the New York Times on July 3, 1958. "After you've done a thing the same way for two years, look it over carefully. After five years, look at it with suspicion. And after ten years, throw it away and start all over."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Perlman

Perlman's predecessor was Robert R. Young, who in a deep depression committed suicide on Janary 25, 1958. As I recall, he shot himself in the head with a shotgun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_R._Young
https://www.nytimes.com/1958/01/26/...-life-in-palm-beach-chairman-of-new-york.html
https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/young-robert-ralph

Last edited:
  • #7,397
kyphysics said:
More shrinkflation:

Last time, I noticed it seemingly at Chick-Fil-A. Now, I'm getting less entree at Panda Express, while the noodle portion seems more (saw that with several dishes I ordered). Sneaky. I suppose it's harder to notice than a price change. And the food seems "less packed" into their bowls like before - now there is more empty pockets of space.

Pizza Hut, on the other hand, did raise their prices by $1-2 on main pizzas. Toppings feel the same.

Good thing Costco gas is cheap and their money-losing $5 fresh rotisserie chickens are still available.
I've noticed places that offer , e.g., 50% off for lunch , say, until 3 p.m, but then give you around half the original portion or less. And charge you extra for any add-one.
Astronuc said:
Among the business maxims Alfred E. Perlman (President of the Penn Central Transportation Company and its predecessor, the New York Central Railroad) is best remembered for is a comment which appeared in the New York Times on July 3, 1958. "After you've done a thing the same way for two years, look it over carefully. After five years, look at it with suspicion. And after ten years, throw it away and start all over."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Perlman

Perlman's predecessor was Robert R. Young, who in a deep depression committed suicide on Janary 25, 1958. As I recall, he shot himself in the head with a shotgun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_R._Young
https://www.nytimes.com/1958/01/26/...-life-in-palm-beach-chairman-of-new-york.html
https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/young-robert-ralph
I'm thinking of jokes I would be too embarrassed to say ... Wonder if you intended to connect the two paragraphs.

• #7,398
WWGD said:
I'm thinking of jokes I would be too embarrassed to say ... Wonder if you intended to connect the two paragraphs.
There is no connection between the quote by Perlman and the unfortunate end of Robert Young. Young brought Perlman to the NY Central to improve it, which Perlman did eventually, after Young's suicide.

There were strong economic forces beyond the control of Young and Perlman, and even though both were accomplished, they could not overcome their respective situations. If only Young had held on longer, but then he would have watched the catastrophe of the merger/takeover of the NY Central by the Pennsylvania Railroad into the PennCentral Corporation, and the subsequent bankruptcy.

Penn Central operated a system with 40,000 miles (64,000 km) of track in fourteen states and two Canadian provinces. It had total assets of $6.3 billion and annual revenues of nearly $2 billion. Within two years of merger, competition from trucking on the federally funded Interstate Highway System and the St. Lawrence Seaway, deindustralization in the Northeast and Rust Belt, an economic downturn, strict regulation, heavy taxation, redundant trackage, outdated work rules, the inability to end money-losing passenger services, the forced 1969 integration of the financially disabled New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad by the Interstate Commerce Commission, coupled with Penn Central's own bungled integration of the merged companies and mismanagement, resulted in the largest corporate bankruptcy in American history to that time.
For an comprehensive overview of the PC demise and bankruptcy, see -
Daughen, Joseph R. & Peter Binzen (1999). The Wreck of the Penn Central (2nd ed.). Boston: Beard Books Little, Brown. ISBN 1-893122-08-5.

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/06/22/...authority-to-reorganize-under-bankruptcy.html

(news on PennCentral bankruptcy starting at 2:05 )

At the time, the US government was considering a bailout of the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation (June 21, 1970) and dealing with the fallout of the Pentagon Papers and Mi Lai massacre in Vietnam. (June 23)

June 21, 1970 - 6:41 - 8:40 on Mi Lai massacre story

June 23, 1970 - Pentagon Papers and Daniel Ellsburg (0:25 - 9:35) Ralph Nader on Lockheed Aircraft Co. in distress 21:21 - 21:46

Likes WWGD
  • #7,399
I've bern following the chain of use of the bird " Turkey". It is called, of course, " Turkey" in the US; called " Hindi" in Turkish, and something like " Pago " in Hindi. Wonder if it completes a loop of translations.

• #7,400
WWGD said:
I've bern following the chain of use of the bird " Turkey". It is called, of course, " Turkey" in the US; called " Hindi" in Turkish, and something like " Pago " in Hindi. Wonder if it completes a loop of translations.
They call it Truter in Bern.

• #7,401
fresh_42 said:
They call it Truter in Bern.
Too bad. I can't eat non-Hamiltonian foods!

• #7,402
How do you distinguish a physicist from a mathematician?

Easy. You simply say 'Noether'. If he thinks of groups he is a physicist, and if he thinks of rings he is a mathematician.

Likes Frabjous
  • #7,403
fresh_42 said:
How do you distinguish a physicist from a mathematician?

Easy. You simply say 'Noether'. If he thinks of groups he is a physicist, and if he thinks of rings he is a mathematician.
And if he thinks of neither, he's neither. :oldbiggrin:

Likes Keith_McClary and fresh_42
  • #7,404
Borg said:
And if he thinks of neither, he's neither. :oldbiggrin:
Neither Noethet nor any Oether.

• #7,405
WWGD said:
Neither Noethet nor any Oether.
I wonder how you pronounce Noether. I would have expected you to call her Emmy instead.

• #7,406
fresh_42 said:
I wonder how you pronounce Noether. I would have expected you to call her Emmy instead.
I have to confess that, until maybe a year or two ago I had assumed (never having heard anyone say the name, and not knowing any German) that the pronunciation was something like "noy-ther". I now believe it's more like "ner-ter".

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #7,407
DrGreg said:
I have to confess that, until maybe a year or two ago I had assumed (never having heard anyone say the name, and not knowing any German) that the pronunciation was something like "noy-ther". I now believe it's more like "ner-ter".

The "ö" as in Schrödinger, Noether, or Gödel is difficult for native English speakers. Wiki solves it this way: Oedipus UK: /ˈiːdɪpəs/, US: /ˈɛdə-/ , but I doubt that it comes close. It is a bit like in "urgent", "surf", or "turn". The difficulty is, that the rolling tongue of the American pronunciation should be removed, i.e. without "r" after the "u", which is apparently even more difficult than it is for us to pronounce the "th" correctly.

Last edited:
  • #7,408
Id been working with the likes of geometric topology where her name does not pop up very often.

• #7,409
fresh_42 said:
I wonder how you pronounce Noether.

• #7,410
Keith_McClary said:

Sabine can hardly be called a valid reference.

Btw. French and Hungarian have an "ö", too. How do you manage to pronounce Richelieu or Erdös.

Last edited:
  • #7,411
https://apnews.com/article/bagram-afghanistan-airfield-us-troops-f3614828364f567593251aaaa167e623

US left Afghan airfield at night, didn’t tell new commander

“In one night, they lost all the goodwill of 20 years by leaving the way they did, in the night, without telling the Afghan soldiers who were outside patrolling the area,” said Afghan soldier Naematullah, who asked that only his one name be used.

Within 20 minutes of the U.S.’s silent departure on Friday, the electricity was shut down and the base was plunged into darkness, said Raouf, the soldier of 10 years who has also served in Taliban strongholds of Helmand and Kandahar provinces.

The sudden darkness was like a signal to the looters, he said. They entered from the north, smashing through the first barrier, ransacking buildings, loading anything that was not nailed down into trucks.
Predicted by the Onion 10 years ago.

https://www.theonion.com/u-s-quietly-slips-out-of-afghanistan-in-dead-of-night-1819572778

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN—In what officials said was the "only way" to move on from what has become a "sad and unpleasant" situation, all 100,000 U.S. military and intelligence personnel crept out of their barracks in the dead of night Sunday and quietly slipped out of Afghanistan.

U.S. commanders explained their sudden pullout in a short, handwritten note left behind at Bagram Airfield, their largest base of operations in the country.

"By the time you read this, we will be gone," the note to the nation of Afghanistan read in part. "We regret any pain this may cause you, but this was something we needed to do. We couldn't go on like this forever."

• #7,412
nsaspook said:
US left Afghan airfield at night, didn’t tell new commander
That will give them more time for other countries.

• #7,413
Keith_McClary said:
That will give them more time for other countries.
Well, if there is a better option to ward of the likes of Russia, Iran , China, etc?

• #7,414
I recently learned why German is indeed not as easy as I always thought it was:

1625673850865.png

Likes Frabjous
  • #7,415
fresh_42 said:
I recently learned why German is indeed not as easy as I always thought it was:

View attachment 285608
main-qimg-e0f6ff000d1b3480759fe0c9507d4989.jpeg

• #7,416
⚽ ##\longrightarrow## 🏠
Outrageously lucky to get a pen but definitely deserved to get a goal... :wink:

• #7,417
ergospherical said:
⚽ ##\longrightarrow## 🏠
Outrageously lucky to get a pen but definitely deserved to get a goal... :wink:
Can't wait to see Qatar 2022 playing with masks.

• #7,418
I think I will measure my future encounters with doctors either in kg or in number of pages per dozen.

• #7,419
fresh_42 said:
I think I will measure my future encounters with doctors either in kg or in number of pages per dozen.
Quoting Nostradamus?

• #7,420
Still hearing about the whole " living in the moment" thing. Seems no one asks: If it's so beneficial, why don't more people do it naturally?