Random Thoughts part 6

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
My wife started the computer and left it run for 3 hours and it never started. Looks like I'll have to perform a Safe Mode debug fest. yippee...
I just cold restarted my win7 VM and it worked without needing safe mode. But maybe I was just lucky.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
My wife started the computer and left it run for 3 hours and it never started. Looks like I'll have to perform a Safe Mode debug fest. yippee...
I had a black screen, too, for several minutes. It said it recovered the personal settings. So maybe a reboot will do.

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
It was well beyond needing a reboot yesterday. No matter how many times I restarted it, I would get the same starting screen with some spinning circles that would never end.

I spoke with both Dell and Microsoft customer service which didn't get me anywhere. After more than 4 hours of digging around in the F2 and F12 menus, I discovered that a switch to turn OS Recovery Mode on had somehow gotten turned off even though I had that screen up previously. By the time I had gotten back into that menu, I was resigned to having to re-install my OS in order to undo the 'patch'. Fortunately, I decided to dig around the many options and finally found (hidden several levels deep) an option to start the computer in Safe Mode. That was an old favorite of mine on previous versions so I definitely wanted to try it. I set it to restart in Safe Mode and when it did, I got a message that something went wrong with an update and it was un-installing it! A few minutes later, I had my login screen back without having to re-install my OS (and spend weeks re-installing programs). It *only* took 5 hours to recover my computer... :eek: o_O ?:)

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wonder if there is any protocol for repeatedly seeing, coinciding/with, a person you don't know: " You look like some I've never met?

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow, VMWare is running chkdsk, a check on a ....virtual disk. Can a virtual disk in a VM be damaged?

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was absent -minded in my suggestion to reboot when the keyboard wasnt working. But to make it worse, she left before i could suggest she use the OSK.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just submitted my paper, hope it will be accepted. "Cloud Storage: Why would anyone want to store a @$%! cloud?".

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I hope you listed all positive answers! I can imagine a few dozens of applications in meteorology, aerodynamics, etc. And not to forget the thousands of cloud chambers we already have! How would you equip them? By a just-in-time production of clouds? Not every company can afford its own cloud production machinery.

BillTre

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Free the clouds!
Enhance global albedo!
Fight global warming!

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Free the clouds!
Enhance global albedo!
Fight global warming!
Reminds me of what I demanded when at school:

Free Greenland!
Away with the pack ice!

However, I didn't really think I would be successful one day. What once was a joke ...

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
For a rainy day, of course.
Which one is your favorite one according to Rob McKenna's numbering system? I prefer the long lasting ones which we call "land rain" here. IIRC it is number 51.
And as he drove on, the rainclouds dragged down the sky after him, for, though he did not know it, Rob McKenna was a Rain God. All he knew was that his working days were miserable and he had a succession of lousy holidays. All the clouds knew was that they loved him and wanted to be near him, to cherish him, and to water him.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Only if it makes Deep puddles.
I assume it will, as doves will cry purple tears, -- from the way I stretch this analogy beyond reason.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow, NFL (National Football League) player retires to pursue PHD degree in Mathematics at MIT. The guy was playing full time and going to school for his PHD full time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Urschel

And he has co-written 6 peer-reviewed papers.

EDIT: And it seems he retired from the NFL because MIT did not allow him to work while studying full time, not because he could not handle both.

Last edited: