What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,806
I just searched through a European site : No Vat. How about " No Vat, No Vere" (No Vat , nowhere)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,807
WWGD said:
I just searched through a European site : No Vat. How about " No Vat, No Vere" (No what , nowhere)?
Yeah, taxes are funny. But as long as you stay in one country it's only VAT. Crossing borders is painful: documents in n versions, custom duties, different VAT values, possibly other taxes like luxury or alcohol, etc. And if you produce medical stuff, then you definitely need a professional product because of the required backtracking of the components.

• #7,808
fresh_42 said:
Yeah, taxes are funny. But as long as you stay in one country it's only VAT. Crossing borders is painful: documents in n versions, custom duties, different VAT values, possibly other taxes like luxury or alcohol, etc. And if you produce medical stuff, then you definitely need a professional product because of the required backtracking of the components.
I don't know Vat to say!

• #7,809
fresh_42 said:
Do you have to declare in customs when crossing boundaries? I understand the 3 in benelux have a common customs agreement?

• #7,810
WWGD said:
Do you have to declare in customs when crossing boundaries? I understand the 3 in benelux have a common customs agreement?
Every country involved has its own regulations. That's why the EU and its internal common market is so important, and that was what it was all about with the Brexit: "Give me the cherries, but do not bother me with laws and money." It was simply an act of British selfishness. AFAIK the EU has also a free-trade agreement with Canada, and with the US was in the making but then came who must not be named.

• #7,811
fresh_42 said:
Every country involved has its own regulations. That's why the EU and its internal common market is so important, and that was what it was all about with the Brexit: "Give me the cherries, but do not bother me with laws and money." It was simply an act of British selfishness. AFAIK the EU has also a free-trade agreement with Canada, and with the US was in the making but then came who must not be named.
It helps, but some argue still too much red tape. Tesla's factory has taken some 2 years and still not even permits are ready, as I understand it. Chinese factory took some 8 months, by contrast. True, arguably Chinese citizens don't get that much of a say.

• #7,812
WWGD said:
It helps, but some argue still too much red tape. Tesla's factory has taken some 2 years and still not even permits are ready, as I understand it.
That is the same as anywhere else: objections from environmental organizations. It is the price we pay in order to live in a constitutional state. I wouldn't want to be governed by the executive orders of a single person.

• #7,813
fresh_42 said:
That is the same as anywhere else: objections from environmental organizations. It is the price we pay in order to live in a constitutional state. I wouldn't want to be governed by the executive orders of a single person.
I remember the basis given by , I thing it was Xi or the CPC, that the great firewall had as a goal that all citizens consume the same information. Otherwise chaos will ensue, as , given the thousand of choices, citizens will each be in their own bubble. To be fair, 1.4 billion bubbles would be hard to manage.

• #7,814
WWGD said:
I remember the basis given by , I thing it was Xi or the CPC, that the great firewall had as a goal that all citizens consume the same information. Otherwise chaos will ensue, as , given the thousand of choices, citizens will each be in their own bubble. To be fair, 1.4 billion bubbles would be hard to manage.
My niece in China just used a VPN.

• #7,815
So many words from other languages made their way into English. I wonder why "Gebiet" didn't make it. It is so much more convenient than "non-empty, open, connected subset". Funnily, the letter "G" survived.

• #7,816
fresh_42 said:
So many words from other languages made their way into English. I wonder why "Gebiet" didn't make it. It is so much more convenient than "non-empty, open, connected subset". Funnily, the letter "G" survived.
No word for $$G_{\sigma\delta...}$$ , though.

• #7,817
Hornbein said:
My niece in China just used a VPN.
I'm surprised they (VPNs) are allowed.

• #7,818
I'm surprised to have run into a song by YES I find annoying. Usually excellent, non-intrusive background and otherwise music.

• #7,819
really ? which ?

• #7,820
Ivan Seeking said:
Have you ever noticed that in all of the science fiction movies and shows where time slows down or stops for everyone and everything except the main character, it is never dark?
What I notice is that pattern balding has not been solved into the future. Every visitor of the future makes me scream: "Eight ball in left pocket".

Likes Hornbein
  • #7,821
hmmm27 said:
really ? which ?
Starship Trooper:

• #7,822
Doesn't seem any more annoying than the rest of their stuff (I'm a Yes fan, but so-so on some of the tracks).

• #7,823
hmmm27 said:
Doesn't seem any more annoying than the rest of their stuff (I'm a Yes fan, but so-so on some of the tracks).
Could be. The tone seems too nasal for me. Maybe I just did not notice it in other tracks. I liked 90125 best ( tho I am not familiar with all their work).

• #7,824
Yeah, it does sound like he's battling nasal congestion : thanks for pointing that out :cool:

• #7,825
hmmm27 said:
Yeah, it does sound like he's battling nasal congestion : thanks for pointing that out :cool:
I think band members have graduate degrees in music, or degrees from some conservatory.

• #7,826
WWGD said:
I thing it was Xi or the CPC, that the great firewall had as a goal that all citizens consume the same information
Here they drag the social media bosses in front of legislative committees and tell them to block whatever the politicians don't like.

• Sad
Likes fresh_42
  • #7,827
Keith_McClary said:
Here they drag the social media bosses in front of legislative committees and tell them to block whatever the politicians don't like.
Surely not ideal, but I know which one to choose if I am given the option.

• #7,828
For faster charging of Android phone it is recommended to put phone in airplane mode . It is also recommended to turn it off. Wonder if it makes sense to use both simultaneously. Does airplane mode make a difference if phone is off? Maybe @Wrichik Basu can tell?

• #7,829
WWGD said:
I think band members have graduate degrees in music, or degrees from some conservatory.
I very much doubt that. I've been around a lot of this sort of thing and musicians like this always seem to start gigging at a young age. They usually don't go to music school. Those who do quit before they graduate (Miles Davis, Steve Vai, Rick Wakeman) and turn pro. People with degrees almost never become working musicians. They teach instead.

So I looked up Yes. Sure enough, bassist Chris Squire dropped out of high school and started gigging at age 17. Guitarist Steve Howe started performing at age 14 and went full time at 18. I think neither ever took lessons. Bill Bruford, age 17, "a few lessons." Jon Anderson, dropped out of school at 15, started gigging at 18 to get out of manual labor.

The exception is keyboard players. The music for piano is so difficult that you need to take lessons starting young as three to six years old. So did Eddie van Halen (who introduced keyboard style "tapping" to the guitar).

The outlier is guitarist Pat Metheny, who earned a degree from Berkelee. But I was there at the time and everyone knew he was the star of the school from the beginning. He was the Chosen One and wasn't in any hurry. Hiromi Uehara got a degree too and made it big but East Asian people have a different way of doing things.

I went to music school for a year but it was a waste. I would advise young musicians to sit down with recordings and copy them exactly. Then gig as much as you can. That's how everyone I know who made it did it. That wasn't my style so I got out quick.

People like Yes are obsessed with music, work on it all the time, and maybe can't do anything else. Saxophonist Dave Liebman said, "I don't know anyone who didn't work his butt off. Except maybe Mozart. You are not Mozart."

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
  • #7,830
WWGD said:
For faster charging of Android phone it is recommended to put phone in airplane mode . It is also recommended to turn it off. Wonder if it makes sense to use both simultaneously. Does airplane mode make a difference if phone is off? Maybe @Wrichik Basu can tell?
The reason why some people recommend putting Android phones in aeroplane mode or to shut them down completely is so that the battery can draw as much current as possible and charge itself fast.

When the charger is plugged in, the Android system sends a broadcast (a system-wide message that any app can listen to) with the action android.intent.action.ACTION_POWER_CONNECTED. Several apps will listen for this broadcast, and as soon as it is received, they will activate their routines and start some battery-intensive work. For background work, we use Android WorkManager, which has an option to start a work when the charger is connected. Therefore, in most phones with a number of heavy apps, when you plug in the charger, a part of the charger current will be used behind the system rather than charging, and charging becomes slow.

Most of the apps that activate when the charger is connected are doing work over the internet. Engaging aeroplane mode disconnects internet, and those apps are paused due to lack of connectivity. I haven't tried, but probably just turning off mobile data and WiFi will probably have the same effect as aeroplane mode. And aeroplane mode with WiFi connected will probably defeat the purpose.

If you shut down your device, you are making sure that all the current delivered by the charger can be utilized to charge the battery.

But aeroplane mode does not make a difference if your phone is switched off. Switching off means it's completely off. So, all cell services are suspended automatically.

Shutting down is probably more effective than aeroplane mode alone because aeroplane mode still allows apps to run, and that will consume some battery. But the number of apps that do not require internet access at all is steadily decreasing, so maybe after some time, aeroplane mode will suffice. It also depends on how well the app is written. Honestly, without data, it is difficult to judge which is more effective.

Personally, I never turn off my devices/engage aeroplane mode while charging. I just don't like it, as I am not sure how effective those methods actually are due to lack of proper statistical data. If your device supports fast charging, then there is no need to do any of these.

Likes WWGD
  • #7,831
Wrichik Basu said:
The reason why some people recommend putting Android phones in aeroplane mode or to shut them down completely is so that the battery can draw as much current as possible and charge itself fast.

When the charger is plugged in, the Android system sends a broadcast (a system-wide message that any app can listen to) with the action android.intent.action.ACTION_POWER_CONNECTED. Several apps will listen for this broadcast, and as soon as it is received, they will activate their routines and start some battery-intensive work. For background work, we use Android WorkManager, which has an option to start a work when the charger is connected. Therefore, in most phones with a number of heavy apps, when you plug in the charger, a part of the charger current will be used behind the system rather than charging, and charging becomes slow.

Most of the apps that activate when the charger is connected are doing work over the internet. Engaging aeroplane mode disconnects internet, and those apps are paused due to lack of connectivity. I haven't tried, but probably just turning off mobile data and WiFi will probably have the same effect as aeroplane mode. And aeroplane mode with WiFi connected will probably defeat the purpose.

If you shut down your device, you are making sure that all the current delivered by the charger can be utilized to charge the battery.

But aeroplane mode does not make a difference if your phone is switched off. Switching off means it's completely off. So, all cell services are suspended automatically.

Shutting down is probably more effective than aeroplane mode alone because aeroplane mode still allows apps to run, and that will consume some battery. But the number of apps that do not require internet access at all is steadily decreasing, so maybe after some time, aeroplane mode will suffice. It also depends on how well the app is written. Honestly, without data, it is difficult to judge which is more effective.

Personally, I never turn off my devices/engage aeroplane mode while charging. I just don't like it, as I am not sure how effective those methods actually are due to lack of proper statistical data. If your device supports fast charging, then there is no need to do any of these.
Thank you. I have only one data point: airplane mode decreased time significantly; airplane mode and turning it of simultaneously did not. Will keep experimenting and will let you know if you're interested. I mean I can't really control for other factors but data may still be worth something.

Likes Wrichik Basu
  • #7,832
WWGD said:
airplane mode decreased time significantly
Nowadays, the number of apps which can work without internet connection is significantly less, and the majority of apps which start background jobs specifically when the charger is connected are doing something over the net (and that is why they are supposed to consume more battery and turn on when charging only). When you turn on aeroplane mode, those apps are prevented from working, and less CPU and power are consumed, which, in turn, charges the battery faster.
WWGD said:
turning it of simultaneously did not
As I said, aeroplane mode has no role if the phone is switched off, but switching off should still allow the device to be charged faster as the system and apps are not consuming any power.

Likes WWGD
  • #7,833
Hornbein said:
I very much doubt that. I've been around a lot of this sort of thing and musicians like this always seem to start gigging at a young age. They usually don't go to music school. Those who do quit before they graduate (Miles Davis, Steve Vai, Rick Wakeman) and turn pro. People with degrees almost never become working musicians. They teach instead.

So I looked up Yes. Sure enough, bassist Chris Squire dropped out of high school and started gigging at age 17. Guitarist Steve Howe started performing at age 14 and went full time at 18. I think neither ever took lessons. Bill Bruford, age 17, "a few lessons." Jon Anderson, dropped out of school at 15, started gigging at 18 to get out of manual labor.

The exception is keyboard players. The music for piano is so difficult that you need to take lessons starting young as three to six years old. So did Eddie van Halen (who introduced keyboard style "tapping" to the guitar).

The outlier is guitarist Pat Metheny, who earned a degree from Berkelee. But I was there at the time and everyone knew he was the star of the school from the beginning. He was the Chosen One and wasn't in any hurry. Hiromi Uehara got a degree too and made it big but East Asian people have a different way of doing things.

I went to music school for a year but it was a waste. I would advise young musicians to sit down with recordings and copy them exactly. Then gig as much as you can. That's how everyone I know who made it did it. That wasn't my style so I got out quick.

People like Yes are obsessed with music, work on it all the time, and maybe can't do anything else. Saxophonist Dave Liebman said, "I don't know anyone who didn't work his butt off. Except maybe Mozart. You are not Mozart."
Thanks for the research and for being direct and not, er...roundabout ;).

Likes Hornbein
  • #7,834
I somehow have a driver for some hardware that , AFAIK, has never existed in my PC.

• #7,835
WWGD said:
Thanks for the research and for being direct and not, er...roundabout ;).
"Common knowledge" is often not terribly knowledgeic : yours is no disgrace ;)

Likes WWGD
  • #7,836
So yesterday it rained pretty hard. One of the windows on our house has always had some issues with water leakage and it leaked again yesterday. So today I took a look to see what was going on with it. I noticed some cracking in the caulk and since it was covered in mold, I decided to remove it and completely replace it. That's when I discovered this.
WorseWindowInstallEVER.jpg

As you can see there are significant gaps between the window and the brick. The window trim should be sitting on top of the brick and NOT behind it.

The best I can figure is that the moron who installed it put the trim on before installing the window and when it wouldn't fit correctly, they chipped away the brick until it did - they even managed to fracture the brick on the right side, providing even more opportunities for water to get in the house.

Then, they layered caulk in the gaps (some as much as 1/2 inch) until it was filled in. Not only that, they also had the window installed so low that the weep hole on the left side was covered. No problem! They just drilled a new hole in the trim above the brick line.

This was a third floor window. I checked the one on the second floor and it had the same dumb installation. I haven't checked all 20+ windows on our house but I haven't seen it elsewhere - yet.

Some people should never be allowed near a construction site. :oldmad:

• Sad
Likes Keith_McClary, WWGD and BillTre
  • #7,837
No automatic reservations at the First Czech Inn.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #7,838
Another inspection of my windows this morning showed that all of the windows above the first floor were installed like my previous post. The two that you could walk past and easily check, were installed correctly. I even found one above my garage that was never even caulked and had a gap the size of a half dollar. So, for over 25 years, water has been pouring between the plywood and brick every time it rains.

• Sad
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #7,839
Caveat emptor. You know it's deliberate, intentional fraud, but well outside even the RICO statute of limitations.

• #7,840
1629140331131.png

• Wow
Likes BillTre