What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,841
@ergospherical I thought that was Photoshopped, but Google Images shows it's a real brand with lots of products. Sheesh! :oldeyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,842
berkeman said:
@ergospherical I thought that was Photoshopped, but Google Images shows it's a real brand with lots of products. Sheesh! :oldeyes:
Though Borg's problems are with the related caulk...

• #7,843
The Russian word for 'how' sounds like that. Plus, it's often the first word in the sentence. It's pretty funny listening to them sometimes when they're asking questions.

• #7,844
  • #7,845
Keith_McClary said:
Or anyone with an admitted juvenile sense of humor.
1629149082050.png

• Haha
Likes berkeman
  • #7,846
Keith_McClary said:
The Grace Kitchens Cock Flavoured Soup's ingredient list is a bit surprising. It explains that it contains no chicken, rooster, or any type of poultry.
That's nutty. (Oh, and the link didn't work for me)

Likes ergospherical
  • #7,847
Is it possible for someone to find your phone # from a pic you post somewhere or by just making a post from your phone? I got a WhatsApp message from a UK number ( country code 44) claiming we had met in Singapore ( never been there) where we exchanged numbers.
I am a bit paranoid over two recent scam attempts so I wonder if that's what this was.

• #7,848
Most probable is some girl gave a creepy dude a fake number which happened to be yours, surely?

• #7,849
Ibix said:
Most probable is some girl gave a creepy dude a fake number which happened to be yours, surely?
Well, but it is supposedly a woman that contacted me; how did ' Lisa' end up with my number? At least she has not asked me for any questionable info. As long as she does not, I guess I can just go along. But it's still troublesome because modern scams are much more sophisticated than the old " I am an African prince and my money is being held.." kind. Edit: And the phone number may have been spoofed, so not sure she's in or from the UK.

• #7,850
Why go along with anything? Just ignore. You don't owe anyone an answer. If you want to be nice you could just text back "you've got a wrong number, I've never been to Singapore".

• #7,851
berkeman said:
ergospherical said:
I can beat that. In a Tokyo barber shop was a big can of Cock Grease.

cock grease.jpg

Last edited:
  • #7,852
Ibix said:
Why go along with anything? Just ignore. You don't owe anyone an answer. If you want to be nice you could just text back "you've got a wrong number, I've never been to Singapore".
Yes , I agree , I will just end it at that.

• #7,853
I just received a new like on a post I made in October, 2003.

That must be a record for me.

Likes BillTre
  • #7,854
Ivan Seeking said:
I just received a new like on a post I made in October, 2003.

That must be a record for me.
I'll be back here on 2039 to upvote this comment .

Likes Ivan Seeking, hmmm27 and BillTre
  • #7,855
WWGD said:
I'll be back here on 2039 to upvote this comment .
10 Years after Apophis? Unlikely. :cool:

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #7,856
fresh_42 said:
Is that another one? Is that too about too few registers for dates?

• #7,857
fresh_42 said:
Is that the asteroid? I thought it had changed course?

• #7,858
Not quite for ' Lame Jokes' but

main-qimg-1c1e7edb9bc2ba90c4772c5369863a29-mzj.jpeg

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #7,859
WWGD said:
It's complicated, I think. AFAIK it will pass by, except it will pass through a certain area a few years earlier. Something like that.

• #7,860
fresh_42 said:
It's complicated, I think. AFAIK it will pass by, except it will pass through a certain area a few years earlier. Something like that.
I understand even if it veers of its path by a very small amount now, it will be hundreds of miles of. Is that its name ' apoph'?

• #7,861
Here is what Wiki says (no collusion in 2029 but ...)
This close flyby will drastically change its orbit. However, the Earth will also cross the asteroid's new orbit on April 13th each year. There will be another approximation as early as 2036. The exact distance is not yet known as small uncertainties regarding the position on April 13, 2029, will quickly increase after the deflection.

• #7,862
I think the repetition of the Carrington event is much more likely and devastating.

• #7,863
fresh_42 said:
Oh great. Now the asteroids are colluding.

Likes Keith_McClary and Bystander
  • #7,865
fresh_42 said:
In my phone now but will later check if it's a Tuesday or Friday 13th ( different in different countries). See how much superstition it will bring about.

• #7,866
WWGD said:
If you have a problem with asteroids, just get some Preparation H.

• #7,868
fresh_42 said:
Seems these collisions are so delicate, even 10 minutes or so can make a big difference.

• #7,869
Ivan Seeking said:
If you have a problem with asteroids, just get some Preparation H.
I thought that was for As# Teroids.

• #7,870
If you have a problem with klingons, just call Capt Kirk.

I saw an interview where William Shatner talked about life after Star Trek ended. He went through a divorce [IIRC] and ended up living in a trailer park not far from my home. Holy cow! It dawned on me that I could have ridden my bicycle to Capt Kirk's house!

• #7,871
Ivan Seeking said:
If you have a problem with klingons, just call Capt Kirk.

I saw an interview where William Shatner talked about life after Star Trek ended. He went through a divorce [IIRC] and ended up living in a trailer park not far from my home. Holy cow! It dawned on me that I could have ridden my bicycle to Capt Kirk's house!
Why not " materialize" in his trailer? Sorry, not that much of a fan of the show so don't remember the precise terminology.

But I remember hearing that his attempt at humor towards his fans " Get a Life" backfired.

• #7,872
Shatner is still working at 90 years old. He must have a passion for it.

• #7,873
gmax137 said:
I've once read an interview in which he said that he never cared a lot about money and always worked if he needed to.

• #7,874
gmax137 said:
You mean: Shatner. Is. Still working. At. ...;).

I enjoyed his choice of. Personalizing. Punctuation. And. Emphasis. On. Whichever. Words. He. Decided to.

• Haha
Likes BillTre, gmax137 and berkeman
  • #7,875
WWGD said:
You mean: Shatner. Is. Still working. At. ...;).

I enjoyed his choice of. Personalizing. Punctuation. And. Emphasis. On. Whichever. Words. He. Decided to.
I remember a phoney contest in Mad Magazine where the prize was "a semester at the William Shatner school of acting."

Likes Borg, Keith_McClary and WWGD