What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #8,506
I find Queen's " We are the Champions" a bit confusing. It starts with the first person singular " I paid my dues...I've done my sentence...and bad mistakes, I've made a few...
And then the chorus switches into the plural , with " We are the Champions.."

Where did the switch take place?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #8,507
It's an individual taking part in a team event.

Likes WWGD
  • #8,508
WWGD said:
Where did the switch take place?
Impossible to say now. It took place in that stadion on this globe where it was first used to manipulate the masses.

• #8,509
...when you want 10m of a special cable 'measured in feet' and so set 32 pieces in the form...

...when you get 32 pieces of cable, feet long each ... 🥶

• #8,510
fresh_42 said:
Impossible to say now. It took place in that stadion on this globe where it was first used to manipulate the masses.
Maybe. I'm willing to give plenty of license for cool songs , and this one definitely qualifies.

• #8,511
There are ads for Beatles-based movie " Get Back". Sounds interesting.

• #8,512
I think it's a mini series on Netflix. Some colleagues seem to have really enjoyed it, but I haven't seen it.

Likes WWGD
  • #8,513
Ibix said:
I think it's a mini series on Netflix. Some colleagues seem to have really enjoyed it, but I haven't seen it.
Thanks. I'll ' get back' to you if I see it.

• Haha
Likes Ibix
  • #8,514
WWGD said:
Thanks. I'll ' get back' to you if I see it.
What the heck will you be doing in Tucson?

• #8,515
fresh_42 said:
What the heck will you be doing in Tucson?
Meeting JoJo in his home and buying some California grass. We will meet because , unlike he thinks, he's really not a loner.

Thanks for the softball ;).

Likes fresh_42
  • #8,516
Kind of confusing dealing with terms with similar related meanings: Tarts, Tortes, Cakes, Pies. Lamb, Sheep, Ewe, Goat, Ram.

• #8,517
Going over training videos makes me miss the old days of books.

• #8,518
WWGD said:

• #8,519
fresh_42 said:

Last week, actually. I just remember . Embarrased.

Tensor Flow, not aerobics. Can't see how to do aerobics while watching a video. I have a PC, not a TV.

• #8,520
WWGD said:
I have a PC, not a TV.
There are tv cards for PCs. All you need is an antenna and a free slot.

• #8,521
WWGD said:
Agreed. I read a lot faster than people talk, so I always find videos annoying. Automatic transcriptions help...

Likes WWGD
  • #8,522
Ibix said:
Agreed. I read a lot faster than people talk, so I always find videos annoying. Automatic transcriptions help...
I may change my mind if someone comes up with an equivalent of Ctrl+ F for videos, if that were even possible.

Likes fresh_42
  • #8,523
WWGD said:
I may change my mind if someone comes up with an equivalent of Ctrl+ F for videos, if that were even possible.
Yeah - that's one use for the transcriptions. Videos are great for some things (GUIs, howtos for things like DIY/household maintenance), but text is so much easier to search and do random access.

Likes WWGD
  • #8,524
Buffet tray was covered , read "Meet Loaf". I opened it. Hello, Loaf, I'm WWGD.

• #8,525
Leif Erickson weighed 180lbs. I weight 190 lbs.

That makes me larger than Leif.

• #8,526
Trick to slow bread from becoming stale: put mayo or other things on top. I broke a roll into equal halves. One was left as is while I prepared a chicken sandwich on the other. The ' as is' became stale, while the ' sandwiched' one remained fresh.
How do I sign up for a Nobel Prize?

• #8,527
I just shove the whole loaf into the jar of mayonnaise from the get-go. 'Let it absorb the mayonnaisy goodness.

• #8,528
collinsmark said:
I just shove the whole loaf into the jar of mayonnaise from the get-go. 'Let it absorb the mayonnaisy goodness.
Love to taste that with some fried eggs ( yech to my taste).

• #8,529
Searching back in family history, it appears that an ancestor, and possibly his son, was charged and fined for hunting after dark in one of the king's forests.

Elsewhere, one of my ancestors was born out of wedlock, given the mother's family name as the father is unknown.

Likes Ibix
  • #8,530
Strange situation in that I bought a lot of food , but not the combinations I need to prepare my meals. And it happened twice in a row. Now I made up for it but have a gigantic amount of good.

• #8,531
Strange sale: The same product has been on sale for the same amount for like a year. I guess at some point it becomes the actual price.

• #8,532
I find people can be more attractive with face masks on. *braces for being called shallow*

Really, I don't know why. Some people I don't find as physically attractive suddenly seem more attractive with masks. I feel like it slims many people's faces or blocks out potentially asymmetric or less attractive features, while showing areas that are almost universally attractive: eyes, forehead, hair, neck, etc.

• #8,533
WWGD said:
At least he had a football team named after him, though. The Houston Eulers.
Now he is considered a Titan in his field.

Likes WWGD and fresh_42
  • #8,534
Ugly sausages, scrambled eggs, beans in tomato sauce, bacon, toasted bread: and then they call it fast break.

• #8,535
fresh_42 said:
Ugly sausages, scrambled eggs, beans in tomato sauce, bacon, toasted bread: and then they call it fast break.
Guess if you scarf it down quickly.

• #8,536
WWGD said:
Guess if you scarf it down quickly.
And cooking time?

• #8,537
fresh_42 said:
And cooking time?
Nuke it.

• #8,538
The point is, that the English world has the most complicated breakfast and still calls it fast. In French it is little, and in German early. Neither of them is near as time-consuming as sausages and beans or pancakes.

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #8,539
I take it you are aware that it is a meal in which you break your (overnight, usually) fast - "fast" as in "not eating", not "not slow"?