What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #9,066
Jodo said:
Haha yes, that is a big T section. Unsure what that dude is doing ( can't be welding, he has no helmet ) but he better hurry up! Clock on the wall says it's almost 3! Breaktime 😄
I think he is a fabricator doing plastic welding (helmet not required).

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #9,067
Today, 195 years ago:

##\dagger\;## Pierre-Simon Laplace
##\dagger\;## Alessandro Volta

Likes Klystron
  • #9,068
Music is just a lie made up by big keyboard to sell more keyboards.

• Love
Likes Oldman too and collinsmark
  • #9,069
but what a beautiful lie it is

• Love
Likes gmax137 and ergospherical
  • #9,070
Most 20th century physicists have such tragic life stories :(

• #9,071
I stumbled across a replica of that fishing game that used to be in the ski lodge in Club Penguin, and it made my heart very happy. :penguin:

1646600596606.png

• Love
Likes Hamiltonian
  • #9,072
Hamiltonian said:
Most 20th century physicists have such tragic life stories :(
In another thread, I just learned of Schwarzschild’s fate. Over the age of 40, he volunteered for World War I and died of a disease caught on the Eastern Front. It was on the Eastern front that he came up with his analytical solution to Einstein’s field equations.

Last edited:
  • #9,073
Galois died at 21, in a duel over politics. Can't imagine a Mathematician dying that way today.

Likes Frabjous
  • #9,074
WWGD said:
Galois died at 21, in a duel over politics. Can't imagine a Mathematician dying that way today.
Ever started a discussion on constructivism?

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, Borg, Frabjous and 1 other person
  • #9,075
fresh_42 said:
Ever started a discussion on constructivism?
Yes, but Brouwer ( Sp?) was not around. Edit: Nor the new crazy guy in YouTube (NJ Wildberger).

Last edited:
  • #9,076
Wow, EWF still playing; just saw an ad for a concert. 5 guys singing and some other 400 on stage dancing.

• #9,077
ergospherical said:
I stumbled across a replica of that fishing game that used to be in the ski lodge in Club Penguin, and it made my heart very happy. :penguin:

View attachment 298056
those were simpler times:')

also I think the original game was re-launched a few years ago(there were rumors that it was because of Musk's tweet)

Last edited:
Likes ergospherical
  • #9,078
caz said:
In another thread, I just learned of Schwarzschild’s fate. Over the age of 40, he volunteered for World War I and died of a disease caught on the Eastern Front. It was on the Eastern front that he came up with his analytical solution to Einstein’s field equations.
Max Planck's younger son Erwin got arrested for involvement in the attempted assassination of Hitler. For which he was executed.
Fritz Haber gave up his religion, helped the Nazi's create the very gas that was used to kill his family members. He died alone in a hotel. At the end of his life, he repented for using his mind and his talents for waging war.
there are so many more Ludwig Boltzmann, Tesla, Turing, Schwarzschild even Einstein had a very hard time in his early years.

• #9,079
Notes to self:
1)Trying to see when I'll get a chance to use the line:
"Er, I'm Vegan, Walter!"

2)It's Yo-Yo-Ma, not
Yo-Ma-Ma.

• #9,080
Watching this it's almost impossible to believe that MPW and Gordon used to be teacher and prodigée; the approaches couldn't be more different. :oldbiggrin:

• #9,081
I personally don't like it when the chefs are commenting aggressively during the cooking. Keep the talking to a minimum, I can see what you are doing :cry:

Chef Wang on youtube is a great watch.

• #9,082
nuuskur said:
I personally don't like it when the chefs are commenting aggressively during the cooking. Keep the talking to a minimum, I can see what you are doing :cry:

Chef Wang on youtube is a great watch.
I guess that means Ramsay's not on your watch list.

• #9,083
WWGD said:
The histories I have read describe a love triangle. Galois and the skilled swordsman who ended his life shared the affections of a young woman.

• Informative
Likes fresh_42
  • #9,084
If you're writing a cover letter to a professor, is it too heavy-handed to mention that you've read a book that they wrote? On the one hand it's completely true (and I read it a fair while ago), but one worries that they'd suspect you're full of it and only googled them a couple of minutes before you sat down to write to them.

• #9,085
ergospherical said:
If you're writing a cover letter to a professor, is it too heavy-handed to mention that you've read a book that they wrote? On the one hand it's completely true (and I read it a fair while ago), but one worries that they'd suspect you're full of it and just googled them a couple of minutes before you sat down to write to them.
Is it relevant to why you are seeing them?
If they suspect your BS'ing, but are ready for questions, it could be a good thing.

• #9,086
Klystron said:
The histories I have read describe a love triangle. Galois and the skilled swordsman who ended his life shared the affections of a young woman.
Maybe a bit of both? Don't know the story at that level of detail, I admit.

• #9,087
Very much so, yes. It's a summer placement in a fairly specific area of astrophysics research in which he's an authority. I think it would be nice to mention that I've used his text but it's harder than it first seems to do so with tact...

• #9,088
Slip a reference to it, into a conversation when talking about some subject the book covers:
"stars, like defined in your book".

Likes Klystron and ergospherical
  • #9,089
ergospherical said:
If you're writing a cover letter to a professor, is it too heavy-handed to mention that you've read a book that they wrote?
Do me a favor, Jay. Do not mention the errors. :cool:

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary and ergospherical
  • #9,090
ergospherical said:
Very much so, yes. It's a summer placement in a fairly specific area of astrophysics research in which he's an authority. I think it would be nice to mention that I've used his text but it's harder than it first seems to do so with tact...
I know Physics as if I had used Ramsey's cookbooks as my textbook ;).

• #9,091
In a book from Oxford University Press:
under the:

"© author name 2021"
was
"The moral rights of the author have been asserted"

What does that mean?

• #9,093
Jodo said:
Praxair ( now Linde I believe )
Yep. "In 2018, Praxair merged with Linde AG to form Linde plc. The Praxair name was discontinued on September 1, 2020."
https://www.linde.com/news-media/pr...n-praxair-and-linde-ag-successfully-completed

A little bit of history. https://www.unioncarbide.com/history.html
1917 - Union Carbide & Carbon Corporation is incorporated on November 1, 1917 and acquires the stock of: Linde Air Products Co. (Linde's US subsidiary); National Carbon Co., Inc.; Prest-O-Lite Co., Inc.; and Union Carbide Company (formed in 1898).
1992 - Union Carbide Industrial Gases is spun-off as an independent company. Its name changes to Praxair, Inc.

https://www.linde.com/about-linde/corporate-heritage
As a result of WWI, Linde lost its US subsidiary through expropriation.

A bit of trivia - The AOD process was invented in 1954 by the Lindé Division of The Union Carbide Corporation.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02667991 (requires purchase)
https://www.lindeus.com/industries/metal-production/argon-oxygen-decarburization-aod

• #9,094
Another piece of technical trivia - At BNSF, the forecast calls for clearer wind data
https://www.bnsf.com/news-media/railtalk/safety/wind-app.html
In Southern California, the dry, hot winds are called Santa Ana. On the eastern slope of the Continental Divide in Montana, where the temperature is cooler, they’re known as Chinooks. No matter the name or origin, winds that deliver hurricane-like gusts pose significant safety concerns to our crews and trains, which operate through these and other susceptible regions.

At certain speeds and conditions, wind can be strong enough to knock unloaded coal and grain cars off the track. Stacked, empty containers can act like a sail, literally lifting the cars. Damaging winds can also blow down power lines and trees or propel other obstructions into a train or its path.
Much like tractor trailers that get blown over on a highway in a heavy cross wind.

• #9,095
It’s sad but also hilarious how brands try to hijack special dates and holidays. Gifts should be whimsical, but instead you face a barrage of

This Mother’s Day, show how much you really care… with this 79cc 4-stroke petrol engine lawnmower, now £399 for limited time only!

Last edited:
  • #9,097
ergospherical said:
It’s sad but also hilarious how brands try to hijack special dates and holidays. Gifts should be whimsical, but instead you face a barrage of

This Mother’s Day, show how much you really care… with this 79cc 4-stroke petrol engine lawnmower, now £399 for limited time only!
We will all likely hear/see mention of Pi day (3/14) soon. I've tried to popularize $$\sqrt 10 $$; 3/16, to no avail.

Likes ergospherical
  • #9,098
WWGD said:
We will all likely hear/see mention of Pi day (3/14) soon. I've tried to popularize $$\sqrt 10 $$; 3/16, to no avail.

We're also in the midst of British Pie week (the edible variety). I got a nice chicken & leek one from the cafeteria yesterday to celebrate! I do hope they're cooking cottage pie today...

• #9,099
ergospherical said:
We're also in the midst of British Pie week (the edible variety). I got a nice chicken & leek one from the cafeteria yesterday to celebrate! I do hope they're cooking cottage pie today...
You got it a week early? Do you like the blood pies?

• #9,100
Though note that this year, the approximation 3.1622 is particularly good, better than 3.1422 is to $ \pi$