What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #9,241

Climber dies day after celebrating making it to top of Himalayan peak​

https://www.yahoo.com/news/climber-dies-day-celebrating-making-101959014.html

A Greek climber died Tuesday on Nepal's rugged Mount Dhaulagiri, expedition organizers said, in the first recorded fatality of this year's busy Himalayan spring climbing season.
. . .

The 59-year-old had fallen ill while descending, mountain guide Mingma Sherpa of Seven Summit Treks told AFP.

"He died at an altitude of 7,400 meters. We are speaking with his family," Sherpa said.

A message Tuesday on his official Instagram account said that he died "after a huge physical and mental effort and lack of additional oxygen."

Dhaulagiri's 8,170-metre (26,800-foot) peak was first scaled in 1960 by a Swiss-Austrian team and has since been climbed by hundreds of people. The air pressure at that altitude is about 34.7 kPa, or about 34.7% of atmospheric pressure sea level.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #9,242
Astronuc said:

Dhaulagiri's 8,170-metre (26,800-foot) peak was first scaled in 1960 by a Swiss-Austrian team and has since been climbed by hundreds of people. The air pressure at that altitude is about 34.7 kPa, or about 34.7% of atmospheric pressure sea level.
I hear of several corpses spread throughout the mountain.

• #9,243
Astronuc said:

A message Tuesday on his official Instagram account said that he died "after a huge physical and mental effort and lack of additional oxygen."

Sykaris was an experienced climber who had summited five other mountains higher than 8,000 meters, including the world's highest mountain, Mount Everest, according to his website.

I wonder if they will do an autopsy. It would be good to know what he died of, since he was so experienced. It almost sounds like a delayed HACE, but you would think that he would have had symptoms of that at the summit, not just on the way down...

Edit/Add -- Although the article did say this, which implies the problems started pretty much around the summit...

"He died at an altitude of 7,400 meters. We are speaking with his family," Sherpa said.

• #9,244
berkeman said:
Edit/Add -- Although the article did say this, which implies the problems started pretty much around the summit...
Air pressure is ~38.8 kPa at 7400 m. He was probably in distress at the summit. Perhaps the excitement/adrenaline kept him going. It does sound like HACE, or high-altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE), it's theorized that vessels in the lungs constrict, causing increased pressure. This causes fluid to leak from the blood vessels to the lung tissues and eventually into the air sacs.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pulmonary-edema/multimedia/img-20097483
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_pulmonary_edema
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_cerebral_edema

• #9,245
The thing about HAPE is that you can hear it, at least if you know what to listen for. HACE is silent, although if your vitals are monitored, you may see the trending signs of Cushing's Triad with HACE...

• Informative
Likes Oldman too and Klystron
  • #9,246
berkeman said:
The thing about HAPE is that you can hear it, at least if you know what to listen for. HACE is silent, although if your vitals are monitored, you may see the trending signs of Cushing's Triad with HACE...
On the other hand, he was at 8170 m at summit and 7400 m when he expired. With the lower air density, and possibly wind, maybe those around him didn't hear him until he collapsed. The snow would also deaden any noise. I've been up at 4600+ m (Colorado), in a driving wind, and it was not possible to hear the person next to me. We basically ran toward the summit then dropped to the ground to catch our breath, then get up again and run until out of breath, and repeat. That was 48 years ago.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
  • #9,247
Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #9,248
dlgoff said:
One reason I'm beginning to dislike Kansas, The wind has been blowing very hard for days now. Right now:
Wind S. 28mph
Wind Gust 30mph
From: https://www.localconditions.com/weather-perry-kansas/66073/
Edit: I just heard on the TV that Kansas City is getting 50 mph gust.
And it brings about...Dust in the Wind. All it is Dust in the Wind.

Likes BillTre
  • #9,249
WWGD said:
And it brings about...Dust in the Wind.
Indeed. I actually knew an old lady when I was just a kid (8-10 years old) who lived in the western part of the state back then.

• #9,251
dlgoff said:
I actually knew Robby Steinhardt.
Thank you Don. That was a very enjoyable music video :smile:

I found it interesting that the drummer was playing his drum set with his hands instead of his drumsticks, to accent the violin and lead guitar and the initial vocals. I never knew that about this song by them.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too, hmmm27 and dlgoff
  • #9,252
berkeman said:
the violin
Robby learned to play the violin at the University of Kansas. His dad was a music professor. I played in a small country band for a while and Robby would sometimes attend and set in the back with me and my drums.

• Love
Likes Oldman too, berkeman and BillTre
  • #9,253
Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Oldman too and dlgoff
  • #9,254
So the latest generation is called Z. What generation comes next, given there's no Z? Is that an omen?

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #9,255
WWGD said:
So the latest generation is called Z. What generation comes next, given there's no Z? Is that an omen?
Mistake: given there's no letter in the alphabet after Z.

• #9,256
So, here's a question:

What does it mean to "carry a balance on your credit card"?

When I read the news and it shows statistics that say something like:

"x-% of Americans carry a balance on their credit cards..." Is that saying they use their credit cards and don't fully pay off the balance when due (thus accruing interest payments) or that they simply used them and had a balance at SOME POINT, but maybe or maybe did not pay it off fully?

• #9,257
kyphysics said:
Is that saying they use their credit cards and don't fully pay off the balance when due (thus accruing interest payments)
Yes. The amount of the balance may change a bit from month-to-month depending on how much the cardholder can pay each month and how much they purchase, but it means that they have a habit of not paying the whole thing off each month. It's a bit of a trap when you get in too much debt with the card where it's not possible to pay it all off in any month.

• Informative
Likes kyphysics
  • #9,258
berkeman said:
Yes. The amount of the balance may change a bit from month-to-month depending on how much the cardholder can pay each month and how much they purchase, but it means that they have a habit of not paying the whole thing off each month. It's a bit of a trap when you get in too much debt with the card where it's not possible to pay it all off in any month.
Thanks. That makes sense. Always wondered about what it meant, b/c the way it's worded, it could have meant one of two things: just using + paying off entirely...or using and NOT being able to pay off entirely.

With that in mind, here is an interesting stat:
Most Americans have some credit card debt. A recent GOBankingRates survey found that 30% of Americans have between $1,001 and $5,000 in credit card debt, 15% have $5,001 or more in credit card debt and about 6% have more than $10,000 in credit card debt. Although 6% may seem like a small amount, that means that based on the survey results, 14 million Americans have over $10,000 of credit card debt.
https://www.yahoo.com/video/jaw-dropping-stats-state-credit-130022967.html

• #9,259
BTW, I believe that paying off your credit card every month fully does not help your "credit score" as much as letting a small/medium balance build up over a couple months and then paying it off and doing that again [reference needed]. It kind of makes sense, but I never researched it much.

Also, once I was finally able to get rid of a lingering (small) debt on my credit card, I made it a goal to always pay off my cards. That was decades ago. :smile:

Likes Borg
  • #9,260
berkeman said:
BTW, I believe that paying off your credit card every month fully does not help your "credit score" as much as letting a small/medium balance build up over a couple months and then paying it off and doing that again [reference needed]. It kind of makes sense, but I never researched it much.

Also, once I was finally able to get rid of a lingering (small) debt on my credit card, I made it a goal to always pay off my cards. That was decades ago. :smile:
This is a good debate question.

The FIRST thing my banker told me when getting a credit card at Wells Fargo was that it'd help me build my credit score in this way. . .But, I've read headlines saying it's a myth. Never looked into much either.

Likes berkeman
  • #9,261
I withhold - there’s few moment in life which feel as good as when a girl asks you to open a jar of pickles for her. In those few seconds, you’re freaking 1974-era Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Likes Hamiltonian and berkeman
  • #9,262
ergospherical said:
you’re freaking 1974-era Arnold Schwarzenegger
And always keep the "breaking the jar's vacuum seal" tricks in your back pocket. Important manly tutoring going on here...

• Haha
Likes Oldman too, Klystron and ergospherical
  • #9,263
Arnold mentioned that when playing "Omlette": To be or not to be.

• Haha
Likes ergospherical, Borg and berkeman
  • #9,264
So I turn my Android phone on, access the web. 5 minutes later I have 99 tabs opened , not one by myself.

• #9,265
Ok, an hour after hearing it, I translated "Buffalo, Buffalo at work" to "Buffer Overflow". Life makes ( a bit
) more sense now.

Likes Oldman too
  • #9,266
berkeman said:
Google tells me that's a common/persistent myth:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/finance/credit-score-does-carrying-a-balance-help

...helps the credit card companies profit though.

Likes collinsmark
  • #9,267
Is "superficially charming" a redundant saying?

I was under the impression all charm is by nature just an outward aesthetic and thus "superficial." Why do some people qualify the word charm with "superficial," as that would seem obvious. Or, is there such a thing as being "genuinely" charming?

*wonders*

• #9,268
kyphysics said:
Is "superficially charming" a redundant saying?

I was under the impression all charm is by nature just an outward aesthetic and thus "superficial." Why do some people qualify the word charm with "superficial," as that would seem obvious. Or, is there such a thing as being "genuinely" charming?

*wonders*
I'd say charm is an " emergent property", made out of other " subproperties" combined in the right way. Sort of like the " wetness" of water. Or, a better analogy, in the area of psychology, like charisma.

• #9,269
WWGD said:
I'd say charm is an " emergent property", made out of other " subproperties" combined in the right way. Sort of like the " wetness" of water. Or, a better analogy, in the area of psychology, like charisma.
Sort of brainstorming, not a finished idea ( obviously , still half-baked).

• Love
Likes kyphysics
  • #9,270
WWGD said:

WWGD said:
Sort of brainstorming, not a finished idea ( obviously , still half-baked).
Yeah, keep going...very interesting!

• #9,271
C is hard.

• #9,272
I feel like this is the worst possible time of year to catch feelings for someone all over again! Got exams in like a month and haven’t done a single hour of work during the past week. Priorities are in order. :oldeyes:

• #9,273
I want to dive into learning the Unreal Engine 5 game engine to produce VR experiences I want to realize, but time is money. It's like having your own Star Trek holodeck to create with.

• #9,274
Can't understand why boneless ribs are cheaper than " boneful"/regular ones at the Chinese take out. Id assume it takes extra work, processing, to remove bones, and total meat weight seemed roughly equal.

And in my days, an acid and a base would react. I mixed up baking soda and distilled vinegar to no effect. I used to use the mixture as a house cleaner.

• #9,275
@Kidphysics: Sorry, lost track of my thoughts re our last exchange here on RT last Friday on Charisma, etc. Will get back to you if I have some new ideas.