What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #9,941
Coaches/Bosses/Police/etc. can "yell at" people "under" them.

If that is an acceptable form of communication, then students, players, civilians, etc. ought to be able to yell right back if those above them do something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #9,942
What do you think about our hiring insights?
I'm not sure how you can hire abstractions, but you do you.

• #9,943
The Q Q has currently 30 hours of waiting time. Heck, I didn't wait as long for Napoleon.

• #9,944
fresh_42 said:
The Q Q has currently 30 hours of waiting time. Heck, I didn't wait as long for Napoleon.
The Q Q is coo-koo. Coo koo, Coo koo...

• #9,945
Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 8.45.20 AM.png

• #9,946
Why do so many people search beaches on their vacations? Do they miss their former home?

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,947
fresh_42 said:
Why do so many people search beaches on their vacations? Do they miss their former home?
Savannah would be a major tourist spot too in that case. Epping forest quite popular however so you could be onto something.

Likes fresh_42
  • #9,948
  • #9,949
pinball1970 said:
Please explain Bill
You beat me to it. I think they're cold turkeys, so my guess is that either Bill or the cartoonist is giving up smoking...?

Likes pinball1970
  • #9,950
My niece goes to Uni sat. I know personal stuff is not allowed but it's a bit of a thing.
It's not Science so obviously I'm disappointed but I think she will absorb things there.

Likes Ibix
  • #9,951
Ibix said:
You beat me to it. I think they're cold turkeys, so my guess is that either Bill or the cartoonist is giving up smoking...?
I don't know, I rely on Bill and Jim for direct life sciences jokes. They make sense to me. Subliminal, abstract, deep, weird, tenuous stuff I look to Fresh and and the physicists.
Hopefully he will clarify. I hope it's a nice ending, those birds seem to be looking for guidance.

Likes Ibix
  • #9,952
pinball1970 said:
Please explain Bill
The "joke" is the wrong way. The ducklings should follow the ducks, not the way the cartoonist put it.

... or they only want their coat back.

• #9,953
fresh_42 said:
The "joke" is the wrong way. The ducklings should follow the ducks, not the way the cartoonist put it.
It's a guy they are looking at not a duck and no one is moving. Also what is the significance of the snow?

• #9,954
It's winter, and the guy's selecting a pre-plucked frozen chicken for dinner from the outdoors freezer.

• #9,955
hmmm27 said:
It's winter, and the guy's selecting a pre-plucked frozen chicken for dinner from the outdoors freezer.
"A goose down jacket."

• #9,956
pinball1970 said:
Please explain Bill
The birds are cold bcause all their feathers (insulation) has been used to make nice fluffy jackets (like on the guy in the picture).

Likes Ibix and pinball1970
  • #9,957
hilbert2 said:
I programmed my Linux laptop to make an alarm sound and blink the screen when it detects the 433 MHz signal of this cheap garage door remote controller with the RTL-SDR radio receiver dongle. The Gqrx radio receiver application shows how the signals from the two upper buttons are actually more close to 434 MHz. This is a bit like the idea on this web page, where a low frequency radio remote controller is used for sending Morse code to someone: https://www.instructables.com/do-morse-code-with-an-rc-car-remote-and-here-it-on/

I still need to get another remote controller at another frequency, 868 MHz, and preferably with a longer range signal, to be able to send a larger variety of "messages" with these. I'm also getting an active, amlifying Mini-whip antenna that can probably detect these signals from a longer distance.

Edit: for some reason the sound in the shared Imgur video occasionally plays delayed compared to the image when I watch it.

Is this a shits and giggles project or...are you anticipating a hostage/kidnapping situation?!

• #9,958
Haborix said:
Is this a shits and giggles project or...are you anticipating a hostage/kidnapping situation?!
The first of those... I also made a video about how much copper-nickel metal fabric you have to wrap around a cell phone before it disconnects from the mobile network, but that video was too large to upload to Imgur. The result was that you need quite many layers of that fabric, and the same if you try to stop a Bluetooth speaker receiving the signal by wrapping it inside that.

Last edited:
Likes Haborix
  • #9,959
In terms of driving songs, Yes' "Roundabout" ( ' I'll do the Roundabout ') is a lame counter to Deep Purple's " Highway Star".

• Love
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,960
Am I the only one who's watching football on Sundays? Why don't we have a football thread? I want to type "The Bucs were bad, but the Saints were worse." somewhere.

Likes pinball1970
  • #9,961
fresh_42 said:
Am I the only one who's watching football on Sundays? Why don't we have a football thread? I want to type "The Bucs were bad, but the Saints were worse." somewhere.
Heh, on Sundays I'm still doing theoretical physics while occasionally glancing out onto my peaceful golf course vista. (Sundays are one of the few days when I'm guaranteed freedom from the noise of large fairway maintenance machines.)

I had a neighbour who would watch Sunday football. The only thing louder than his TV was his voice as he roared abuse at the players and/or referee. Thankfully he moved out some years ago. :approve:

• #9,962
fresh_42 said:
I love association football, I don't really get American football. It looks a little bit like rugby league but a lot more stop start.
I watched the ladies footy yesterday. Definitely an improvement from when I first started watching them.
They are the opposite of the men's football in terms of and attitudes and injuries from what I have seen so far.
One girl when down after a challenge and it looked like nothing till I saw it in slow motion.
She lost her balance at full speed and went over on her ankle, agonizing if you have ever done it.
She was obviously in a great deal of pain and it looked like she was doing the best to hide it, whilst being treated.
Many men's premiership footballers go down and act like they have been shot in the face, rolling round like children. The men should watch them more.

Likes Glenstr and fresh_42
  • #9,963
pinball1970 said:
I love association football, I don't really get American football.
I can see why you are confused:
1663582802596.jpeg

• Haha
Likes BillTre and pinball1970
  • #9,964
pinball1970 said:
I watched the ladies footy yesterday. Definitely an improvement from when I first started watching them.
Have you ever watched AFLW (Australian Rules -- Women)? I was surprised at their (high) standard of play.

• #9,965
strangerep said:
Have you ever watched AFLW (Australian Rules -- Women)? I was surprised at their (high) standard of play.
It is not a game that is featured that much in the UK. I do not think I have ever seen women play it.
It looked quite physical.

• #9,966
pinball1970 said:
It is not a game that is featured that much in the UK. I do not think I have ever seen women play it.
It looked quite physical.
Indeed. Google "Tayla Harris" - superb athlete and former boxer. :oldeek:

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,967
I just read this article which I found very interesting:

4 quotes that you have been terribly misquoting.​

https://mystudentvoices.com/4-quotes-that-you-have-been-terribly-misquoting-6b2233d3212d

I actually knew that the saying "blood is thicker than water" is almost always misquoted; it actually has the opposite meaning compared to what people usually think it has.

I had no idea that the other three were misquotations.

I particularly liked the original quote:

"Great minds think alike, though fools seldom differ.”

That's hilarious! 😅

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes BillTre, Ibix, strangerep and 3 others
  • #9,968
DennisN said:
I knew that one. I frequently mutter it when senior management have a shared idea... :wink:

Likes BillTre and DennisN
  • #9,969
DennisN said:
I just read this article which I found very interesting:

4 quotes that you have been terribly misquoting.​

https://mystudentvoices.com/4-quotes-that-you-have-been-terribly-misquoting-6b2233d3212d

I actually knew that the saying "blood is thicker than water" is almost always misquoted; it actually has the opposite meaning compared to what people usually think it has.

I had no idea that the other three were misquotations.

I particularly liked the original quote:

That's hilarious! 😅
Completely unaware of this.

In context I agree they all are opposite in meaning except the Money/root of Evil quote. It certainly does not mean the opposite.
All kinds of evil but still the root of it is still more or less what it is saying.
Having read from the source material I think they are all in line. If you need details PM me.
Elucidation would lead to thin ice followed by hot water!

Likes Ibix and DennisN
  • #9,970
strangerep said:
Indeed. Google "Tayla Harris" - superb athlete and former boxer. :oldeek:
Wow. I have looked into her career. Unbelievable athlete. Her wiki photo just said it all to me before I even started reading. Body language, relaxed, looking back at me said, 'any questions?'
My response would be, 'No mam!'
Shame that a dedicated athlete should have to endure all that social media stuff.
Anyway thanks for the ARF ref, Sports are changing rapidly now in terms of inclusion and promotion.

Likes strangerep
  • #9,971
Bitcoin proponents say it's value is at least partially attributed to scarcity (unlike, say, fiat currencies, which can be debased via central bank printing).

I dunno. My pubic hairs, which have my unique DNA, are scarce. I could shave some off every two years and a lab can finely slice and dice them up into fine strands/units (down to the nano scale) to pass around as a medium of exchange. You have the benefit of testing my DNA on them to confirm it's REALLLY MY pubic hair.

. . .Maybe the scarcity argument for bitcoin is a bit overrated or nonsense? . . .Lots of things are scarce. . .

• #9,972
The poster asked to refer comments and observations to the FEIL Organization.
To start with:
YOU NEED TO CHANGE YOUR NAME!

• #9,973
kyphysics said:
Bitcoin proponents say it's value is at least partially attributed to scarcity (unlike, say, fiat currencies, which can be debased via central bank printing).

I dunno. My pubic hairs, which have my unique DNA, are scarce. I could shave some off every two years and a lab can finely slice and dice them up into fine strands/units (down to the nano scale) to pass around as a medium of exchange. You have the benefit of testing my DNA on them to confirm it's REALLLY MY pubic hair.

. . .Maybe the scarcity argument for bitcoin is a bit overrated or nonsense? . . .Lots of things are scarce. . .

I believe some people make money by, um, flatulating into jars and selling them.

We live in strange times.

• #9,974
Intrigue in the world of Chess, of all places. Magnus Carlsen, #1 -rated, implying Hans Niemann cheated .

• #9,975
WWGD said:
Intrigue in the world of Chess, of all places. Magnus Carlsen, #1 -rated, implying Hans Niemann cheated .
How do you cheat at chess?
In a tournament?

Did he point at the foyer and shout, “Oh no, is that wild dog that has just strolled into the auditorium?”

Everyone in the auditorium turns towards the foyer and Niemann (black) neatly places another Bishop on the board

“Apologies, it was just a shadow.” Then he stuns the world of chess by completing the first ever three bishop 8 move check mate…

Probably not, what did actually do? Hum annoyingly? Chess players can be a little particular.

Bobby Fischer was a little pedantic from memory.