What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
fresh_42 said:
Well, the bar is already set high. It won't be easy to beat Orbán and Szydło.
Do you remember Klaus stealing a pen?

Likes Pepper Mint
Physics news on Phys.org
Sophia said:
Do you remember Klaus stealing a pen?

Serious ? Or is it just like some sort of prank videos on politicians ?

Pepper Mint said:
Serious ? Or is it just like some sort of prank videos on politicians ?
Unfortunately, this really happened :-D

Sophia said:
Unfortunately, this really happened :-D
Ha ha!
We had a visiting research scientist where I used to work, who really liked a certain style of pen we had.
So one day, I gave him one.
Over the next year or so, I always made sure I had one in my pocket, as he always accepted them, with great joy.

Perhaps Klaus is a pen collector. :oldsmile:

Likes Sophia
OmCheeto said:
Ha ha!
We had a visiting research scientist where I used to work, who really liked a certain style of pen we had.
Over the next year or so, I always made sure I had one in my pocket, as he always accepted them, with great joy.

If you have a good pen, I would really like to see it one day, as soon as possible, I will probably borrow yours to sign or write on my shirt as a good memory.

Pepper Mint said:
If you have a good pen, I would really like to see it one day, as soon as possible, I will probably borrow yours to sign or write on my shirt as a good memory.
Sorry, but I retired two years ago, and most all of my fancy pens are now dried up.
Can I interest you in a pencil?

Likes Pepper Mint
OmCheeto said:
Sorry, but I retired two years ago, and most all of my fancy pens are now dried up.
Can I interest you in a pencil?
No problem provided that it is still working fine. 9B type is strong and very thick to long-last the writings. I love it.

Last edited:
What does your pencil look like ? Mine looks like "Throat". I'm not much interested in the Headless Horseman. My favorite is the irregular collar bottom, looks so straight and stylish.

pencil.jpg

Why do I always end up in the 18th century?

My parents want me to get married but I don't want to marry the one I don't love. The one I love disappears.

OmCheeto said:
Ha ha!

That was nice of you :-)
It's true that sometimes it's difficult to find a good pen that both writes nicely and holds comfortably.
I managed to get a good pen for my diary and now I "watch it as eye in my head" = take care I don't lose it

fresh_42 said:
Why do I always end up in the 18th century?
What do you mean?

I always lose their heads when I try to sharpen pencils. Sometimes I think they are not made of a single piece of graphite but of a dozen small pieces instead. Every time I'm satisfied by the sharpening process, I can easily just pull off the tip or it falls out by itself. I hate pencils for that.

fresh_42 said:
I always lose their heads when I try to sharpen pencils. Sometimes I think they are not made of a single piece of graphite but of a dozen small pieces instead. Every time I'm satisfied by the sharpening process, I can easily just pull off the tip or it falls out by itself. I hate pencils for that.
They were much better, in the olden days.

We have pencils for carpenters here that are about 20cm long and really thick. They are ok, but unfortunately not very suitable on paper. And wooden boards are so uncomfortable to store in the book shell ...

The net is suddenly swirling with pictures along the subject EU and UK which I think are supposed to be jokes, but I don't get them o_O.

Usually, when lots of pictures of a specific subject appear like that (and keep getting posted so close to each other), it's because something happened, something is happening, or something is about to happen for sure. But I have no clue of what is going on and if it is something political, I don't want to know. My educational interests don't lie in politics.

Unbelievable. To know something and to experience it right away is so different.
There is a chess game on the internet I use sometimes. You can either pay a fee or accept some restrictions on possible levels plus ads. Ok, I can accept the ads because I like them to make some money. Why not. Usually it's a short video ad about a videogame at the beginning. Now, a couple of minutes ago, I answered in a thread where someone asked for word fonts of roman numerals. I quickly made a google search and posted one of these thousands of sites with free fonts. No five minutes later the video ad at the start of my chess game has all of a sudden not been the video game ad anymore but a never seen before ad of a site where they sell fonts instead. Unbelievable. And fascinating to watch how data mining actually works.

fresh_42 said:
Sometimes pencil leads break inside the wood when they're dropped, and you don't find out till later. In other cases, they break as you sharpen, due to a dull cutter. So. you could have bought a whole package that was dropped at some point, or, you might need a new sharpener.

There's this one coffee house I go to fairly often, but over the six years they've been in business, I've seen them go from being open 24 hours a day to fewer and fewer hours.

They are creating this situation themselves, however. The manager has adopted a policy of 'closing before they're closed': the employees start sweeping, mopping, putting things away, an hour or hour and a half before their actual closing time, and all the customers are made to feel like they have overstayed their welcome. They mop around you with wretched, stinky chemicals and they will actually ask people to leave the front outdoor patio in order to stack up the chairs out there. If you go up to the counter, they are either in back cleaning where they will never see you and you have to call loudly to them, or they are across the room sweeping, and you feel like you've interrupted them.

Eventually, all the regulars are trained to realize customers aren't wanted there as much as an hour before their stated closing time, and they stop coming. This leads to a situation where the last hour of business is dead, and the manager then decides she needs to close an hour earlier because they aren't making any money the last hour. The closing time is changed to an earlier one , but the 'closing before closing' time is also pushed back earlier, eventually driving the next batch of customers away an hour before closing.

It's very queer: when they first opened the place was often completely packed till well after midnight. Now, you go in there at ten, and there's only a handful of people. The manager seems to have no idea she caused this. People now walk by, look in, and think, "Wow, that place is dead. It must suck." They move on to somewhere that looks hoppin' and happenin'. The whole thing was caused by the fear they'd be paying their employees to do chores after closing, after the customers were all gone, that they could have been doing with customers still there. A false economy.

Likes collinsmark
zoobyshoe said:
the employees start sweeping, mopping, putting things away, an hour or hour and a half before their actual closing time, and all the customers are made to feel like they have overstayed their welcome.

Yeah, this is infuriating. They do this at the YMCA I go to. The gym closes at 10:00 and pool area closes at 9:30. At 9:30, they blow the whistle and everyone has to get out of the pool, hot tub, and sauna. So now you have about a dozen guys in the shower while in the meantime the staff is turning up all the stools in the locker room on top of the lockers. So now everyone that was taking a shower when this was going on has to pull the stools back off the top of the lockers. Not only that, people from the main gym come back into the locker even later than that. Pay the employees an extra half-hour wage and wait until the customers leave before you start the close-down procedure, please.

There was this one time when I got out of the shower and had to pull down a stool from the top of the lockers. One of the Y staff guys was nearby and said, "Hey, can you put that stool back on the top of the locker when you're done?" I smiled at him, but what I was thinking was, F-U, I'm not going to do your job for you, especially when you inconvenienced me to have to take this stupid thing off the top of the locker. Needless to say, I left it on the ground.

Psinter said:
The net is suddenly swirling with pictures along the subject EU and UK which I think are supposed to be jokes, but I don't get them o_O.

Usually, when lots of pictures of a specific subject appear like that (and keep getting posted so close to each other), it's because something happened, something is happening, or something is about to happen for sure. But I have no clue of what is going on and if it is something political, I don't want to know. My educational interests don't lie in politics.
Don't worry, most Westerners have no idea what's happening in Asia or Africa :-)
The reason for jokes is that British citizens decided to leave the EU in the referendum.
That means that the UK must agree with new relationships to the EU in next 2 years.
The rest is politics, which you don't want to know :-p

Last edited:
Likes Psinter
fresh_42 said:
Unbelievable. To know something and to experience it right away is so different.
There is a chess game on the internet I use sometimes. You can either pay a fee or accept some restrictions on possible levels plus ads. Ok, I can accept the ads because I like them to make some money. Why not. Usually it's a short video ad about a videogame at the beginning. Now, a couple of minutes ago, I answered in a thread where someone asked for word fonts of roman numerals. I quickly made a google search and posted one of these thousands of sites with free fonts. No five minutes later the video ad at the start of my chess game has all of a sudden not been the video game ad anymore but a never seen before ad of a site where they sell fonts instead. Unbelievable. And fascinating to watch how data mining actually works.
Yes, this happened to me several times. While I know they do this, it always strikes me when it happens.

DiracPool said:
Yeah, this is infuriating. They do this at the YMCA I go to. The gym closes at 10:00 and pool area closes at 9:30. At 9:30, they blow the whistle and everyone has to get out of the pool, hot tub, and sauna. So now you have about a dozen guys in the shower while in the meantime the staff is turning up all the stools in the locker room on top of the lockers. So now everyone that was taking a shower when this was going on has to pull the stools back off the top of the lockers. Not only that, people from the main gym come back into the locker even later than that. Pay the employees an extra half-hour wage and wait until the customers leave before you start the close-down procedure, please.

There was this one time when I got out of the shower and had to pull down a stool from the top of the lockers. One of the Y staff guys was nearby and said, "Hey, can you put that stool back on the top of the locker when you're done?" I smiled at him, but what I was thinking was, F-U, I'm not going to do your job for you, especially when you inconvenienced me to have to take this stupid thing off the top of the locker. Needless to say, I left it on the ground.
There are actually a lot of places that do this, and it is the worst policy ever. In general, though, most stick to their closing time, and aren't confused as to why they have no customers the last hour of business: they realize they're driving them away and don't expect there to be much business. This coffee shop I'm talking about seems bewildered about why they have to keep cutting their hours back.

Likes Pepper Mint
Today I am bored. I feel envious as It seems that everyone is always having some projects to work on.

Pepper Mint said:
Today I am bored. I feel envious as It seems that everyone is always having some projects to work on.

Go to Patrick JMT's channel and practice doing some integrals, that will keep you entertained :woot:

Likes Sophia and Pepper Mint
DiracPool said:
Go to Patrick JMT's channel and practice doing some integrals, that will keep you entertained :woot:

Thanks, I truly love all videos by old and well experienced professors (> 55).

Who cares about Brexit? The real disaster happened in Nizza:

England vs. Iceland 1:2

Likes Psinter and ProfuselyQuarky
fresh_42 said:
Who cares about Brexit?
I dunno, but you know something's up when your British friend calls you, laughing all bubbly about it.

By the way, markers are expensive.

And... Happy National Pink Day !

Likes Psinter
So, a long time ago I met this girl named Alice Chin. She was Chinese-American, from San Francisco.

One day we were walking along, and this other Chinese-American girl was walking toward us. As she neared, she got a smirk on her face, and at the last second before we passed, the two girls laughed and hugged. I deduced from that, they knew each other.

Then Alice says, "Zooby, meet my sister, Suzie Chin. We are: 'The Double Chins!' Ahahahahahahahahah!"

Something reminded me of that today.

Likes OmCheeto, ProfuselyQuarky, Psinter and 2 others
Sophia said:
Don't worry, most Westerners have no idea what's happening in Asia or Africa :-)
The reason for jokes is that British citizens decided to leave the EU in the referendum.
That means that the UK must agree with new relationships to the EU in next 2 years.
The rest is politics, which you don't want to know :-p
I see. I'm somewhat late replying. I've been doing some really heavy programming and design. *tired*

And I'm not even 1% of the goal. No wonder software engineers have good salaries.

It's not apparent, but it's steady.

I don't think a robot or artificial intelligence software can do what I'm doing right now. At least not at this point in time. It will be cool to see if in the future an artificial intelligence software can design and write itself full blown software projects. Then many programmers and software developers will be out of jobs. Someone may say: "This is the goal." and the artificial intelligence may fill in the details and design the whole thing.

Still I don't see that happening anytime soon.

As a side unrelated note, I heard someone say: Everything goes well for me, even when it goes wrong. :DD

zoobyshoe said:
Then Alice says, "Zooby, meet my sister, Suzie Chin. We are: 'The Double Chins!' Ahahahahahahahahah!"

Something reminded me of that today.
Hopefully it wasn't while shaving. :wink:

Psinter said:
Everything goes well for me, even when it goes wrong. :DD
Douglas Adams: Dirk Gently's holistic principle - The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

I've read the PF post on the found of helium in east Africa. In the news article there they said they estimate it to be about 54 billion cf. I tried to figure out which mass this would have without calculating it by myself. I thought there must be some figure on the internet that tells me the mass of, e.g. one litre of helium under atmospheric conditions. My goal was to compare this to the amount of 140 tons that are needed to cool down LHC, expecting even more when it comes to the cooling of the new chinese collider. Btw. I calculate it to be about 110,000,000 tons. (Don't know how accurate this is.) Yearly consumption is currently 8 billion cf. Wow!

Nevertheless, Google's suggestion for a search has been: "mass of helium in kg". Instead of what?

Edit: 253,400 tons; although the website I got it from said weight in kg - I hate this. This is like a left-right weakness to me. I cannot memorize whether the 500g tomatoes I buy are 500N / 5000 N or actually 500g.
I'm totally confused now.

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Psinter said:
I don't think a robot or artificial intelligence software can do what I'm doing right now. At least not at this point in time. It will be cool to see if in the future an artificial intelligence software can design and write itself full blown software projects.
That would be scary :nb)
But how would it know what type of program is needed? Still, a human would have to give it the first order. If that wasn't necessary, than AI could really be out of control.

So I've just registered on Netflix for free trial month. It's only been available in my area since January or so and I don't know anyone who uses it. As far as I know, the content is limited compared to the US because of copyright reasons, so I don't know what to expect. But I noticed that this service is very popular in the US so I decided to give it a try.
When I registered, they asked me to pick 3 shows that I liked in order to personalise my content. I was only familiar with one of them, I chose other two only based on their pictures :D
Any tips on what to watch? I'm looking for something light and funny or interesting that is easy to watch. It can be a sitcom, anime, popular science... I'm looking for something to make me laugh and/or relax in the evening before sleep.