What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #2,486
fresh_42 said:
I regularly have to give up my attempts to understand them. Sometimes, I think they pronounce close to German, but if they are interviewed (Amy Macdonald, John Higgins), I usually have no chance. But I prefer the Scottish accent definitely over the British "o" as in sports or horse. The latter being my second most reason to immediately change the channel from CNN to anything else.
British accent in CNN?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,487
WWGD said:
British accent in CNN?
Yes, the spɔːts program on CNN international is broadcasted from Lʌndən and accordingly biased in content and language. I'm meanwhile so used to hear American English, that the British version sounds pretty alien to me. But I admit I remember a visit once in our English class from a young girl who spoke Queen's (Oxford?) English to us, and even then it sounded rather funny and arty.

• #2,488
I have a better guess for why I have not been sleeping well. I have these maple ice coffees from DD. Today I saw the clerk putting in 4 shots of espresso in it. The maple iced coffee, together with shots of espresso elsewhere, then the caffeinated sodas. Makes sense.

• #2,489
WWGD said:
I have a better guess for why I have not been sleeping well. I have these maple ice coffees from DD. Today I saw the clerk putting in 4 shots of espresso in it. The maple iced coffee, together with shots of espresso elsewhere, then the caffeinated sodas. Makes sense.
Not really. The caffeine affects frequent coffee drinkers to a much lesser degree than one usually thinks it does. And it has an automatic delay of several hours before it comes into effect. At least this is what a pharmacologist once told me. Furthermore espresso (if done right) has lesser caffeine as normal coffee due to the shorter exposition to the beans.

• #2,490
fresh_42 said:
Not really. The caffeine affects frequent coffee drinkers to a much lesser degree than one usually thinks it does. And it has an automatic delay of several hours before it comes into effect. At least this is what a pharmacologist once told me. Furthermore espresso (if done right) has lesser caffeine as normal coffee due to the shorter exposition to the beans.
Well, I don't know if it is purely or mostly psychological, but my ability to sleep well seems to correlate negatively with the amount of coffee I drink after 7 p.m. or so. Still, I agree that there is a certain degree of desensitization. I will try black tea next few times I want to be more awake and then switch back to coffee. I don't know well what the difference is between the respective active ingredients. Still,obliquely , I remember reading a book about Starbucks which mentioned that the water purification systems in many systems just cannot get rid of all the caffeine , so much of it keeps poring into reservoirs.

• #2,491
WWGD said:
Well, I don't know if it is purely or mostly psychological, but my ability to sleep well seems to correlate negatively with the amount of coffee I drink after 7 p.m. or so. Still, I agree that there is a certain degree of desensitization. I will try black tea next few times I want to be more awake and then switch back to coffee. I don't know well what the difference is between the respective active ingredients. Still,obliquely , I remember reading a book about Starbucks which mentioned that the water purification systems in many systems just cannot get rid of all the caffeine , so much of it keeps poring into reservoirs.
Another anecdote from life: a chemist has told me, that she investigated so called caffeine-free products and found that none of them had been completely free of it. But as an important hint: If it should happen that you prefer Darjeeling, then hurry up. I've recently read that the tea pickers there went on strike in the main harvesting season and they expect a shortage down to 30% which will affect prizes in early 2018. Nobody shall say, that PF is only good for scientific reasons! D... I'm on my way to forget this and that I'll have to buy a package or two.

• #2,492
fresh_42 said:
Another anecdote from life: a chemist has told me, that she investigated so called caffeine-free products and found that none of them had been completely free of it. But as an important hint: If it should happen that you prefer Darjeeling, then hurry up. I've recently read that the tea pickers there went on strike in the main harvesting season and they expect a shortage down to 30% which will affect prizes in early 2018. Nobody shall say, that PF is only good for scientific reasons! D... I'm on my way to forget this and that I'll have to buy a package or two.
Thanks for the heads up. In return, if you want some Venezuelan Cocoa/Chocolate ( supposedly very good quality; never tried it ), go for it now; I heave heard semi-serious rumors that Maduro, current president, will be shafted by , you know, don't want to be censored here at PF.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
  • #2,493
"Tastier than ever".I Never thought 'ever' was that tasty to start with...

They have the recycling bins right next to each other , with the tags lined up " Throw away" , "Plastic" , "Cans", as if it were an instruction. Not doing concat()nto " Throw away plastic cans".

Last edited:
  • #2,494
We now have kittens orbiting Saturn. I kid you not.

• #2,495
I passed the technical test for my Big Data job! I just need to do well in the personal interview.

Likes Borg
  • #2,496
So, you sold out to Big Data? :biggrin:

Likes WWGD
  • #2,497
Noisy Rhysling said:
So, you sold out to Big Data? :biggrin:
Not yet ;) , only if the in-person interview goes well..

• #2,498
WWGD said:
Not yet ;) , only if the in-person interview goes well..
If it goes as planned see if you can get me a discount on some wholesale data?

• #2,499
Noisy Rhysling said:
If it goes as planned see if you can get me a discount on some wholesale data?
Bring the truck and load as much as you wish. It is a long way to the , well, not the top for sure, but still good.

Last edited:
  • #2,500
WWGD said:
Bring the truck and load as much as you wish. It is a long way to the , well, not the top for sure, but still good.
Well, I have 200 terabyte of files now, the result of a 25 year collaboration among a dozen or so historians. Do you have a truck that big?

• #2,501
WWGD said:
I passed the technical test for my Big Data job!

You're joining Big Data ? Now there's an opportunity

If you can get bust the telemarketers you'll be a national hero..
All this high-tech-super-snoopery in the news yet Federal Trade Commission and NSA are a laughingstock..

There'd be a statue of you on every town square.

Likes Tom.G
  • #2,502
Noisy Rhysling said:
Well, I have 200 terabyte of files now, the result of a 25 year collaboration among a dozen or so historians. Do you have a truck that big?

Wow, I must say: "your data is bigger than mine!"

• #2,503
Noisy Rhysling said:
My flash drive :). Try Aws, should not be too expensive unless you're uploading amounts that large in real time. EDIT: Set up an account, then log into your database using your AWS login and this will upload the database. 200 terabytes is not really that much by AWS standards, actually. You can use RDS , more automated less flexible or EC2, the reverse of RDS: More freedom , but this means that you must make most of the technical decisions.

Last edited:
  • #2,504
I had a random thought in the shower about negative mass a few months ago, and I found it so interesting and amazing I created a video about it :D

• #2,505
jim hardy said:
You're joining Big Data ? Now there's an opportunity

If you can get bust the telemarketers you'll be a national hero..
All this high-tech-super-snoopery in the news yet Federal Trade Commission and NSA are a laughingstock..

There'd be a statue of you on every town square.
Those are laudable goals, but I don't see how the relate to Big Data.

• #2,506
WWGD said:
Try supporting the telemarketers with Small Data (aka No Data).

• #2,507
WWGD said:

I thought Big Data was Google, Facebook, Microsoft, et al combing the internet gathering information on us for the marketeers .

big da·ta
noun
Computing
noun: big data
extremely large data sets that may be analyzed computationally to reveal patterns, trends, and associations, especially relating to human behavior and interactions.

and that's why the 'cloud', so it's all readily accessible to Big Data.

• #2,508
jim hardy said:
I thought Big Data was Google, Facebook, Microsoft, et al combing the internet gathering information on us for the marketeers .
and that's why the 'cloud', so it's all readily accessible to Big Data.
My definition is data characterized by the 4 Vs: Volume, Variety, Velocity and Veracity. Although I agree that the companies you mentioned are major players.

• #2,509
Seems like Alan Turing made a sneak appearance in the original Blade Runner.

and
Alan_Turing_photo.jpg

• #2,510
Considering getting Moviepass just for watching the upcoming Blade Runner. The deal is so good that it pays for itself for 1 viewing per month if you're so economical and frugal. Though, 2-3 weeks shipping to get the card is kind of ridiculous.

• #2,511
Being exactly 20,000 days old is not something that happens to you more than once in a lifetime :woot:

• #2,512
Borek said:
Being exactly 20,000 days old is not something that happens to you more than once in a lifetime :woot:
Congratulations on Poland Day. Big parade in here. EDIT It seems it is Pulaski day.

Last edited:
  • #2,513
Now for whatever reason, the @ sign disappeared from my Dell. Had to look it up online and paste it to access my email.

• #2,514
Borek said:
On Aug. 18th I was exactly 66.6 years old.

• #2,515
Noisy Rhysling said:
On Aug. 18th I was exactly 66.6 years old.

Soon, you will be 70 years old...

Likes Hawksteinman
  • #2,516
Pretty confusing to hear this person pronounce "upload" as " applaud". I have no idea how to applaud a video. I guess : " alright, video, good going"?

• #2,517
WWGD said:
Soon, you will be 70 years old...
No, I locked it down at 66.6, per Boss Lady's suggestion.

• #2,518
Noisy Rhysling said:
No, I locked it down at 66.6, per Boss Lady's suggestion.
Rhysling, a.k.a Ben Buttons?

• #2,519
WWGD said:
Rhysling, a.k.a Ben Buttons?
Don't know him.