What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #1,646
dkotschessaa said:
I'm going to stage a protest before they overturn the axiom of choice!
Very good idea. Zorn's Lemma is in deep danger.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03372/Donald-Trump_3372655b.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Likes Ibix and dkotschessaa
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,647
fresh_42 said:
Very good idea. Zorn's Lemma is in deep danger.

View attachment 114258

"Let me tell you about Zorn. I knew the guy a long time. Have you ever had Zorn's lemons? Terrific lemons. But this choice thing, I don't know. You give people a choice with finite sets, then they want the infinite sets. I mean, come on. That's not how you do business. Terrible."

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,648
He probably wants to build a wall on the boundary of open sets. It'll make open sets great again.

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,649
Ibix said:
He probably wants to build a wall on the boundary of open sets. It'll make open sets great again.
Only until he picks this special one, this terrible, terrible set, this fake set.

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #1,650
Neither he nor any of his team talked about Kolmogorov sets before taking office. Proof: fantasy and reality are not distinguishable by team Trump.

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,651
Ibix said:
Neither he nor any of his team talked about Kolmogorov sets before taking office. Proof: fantasy and reality are not distinguishable by team Trump.
Yeah, very surprising, as they are otherwise really good at separations.

• #1,652
Used my beard trimmer before coming to work today. When I looked in the mirror at work there was one grey one that apparently survived the trimming. Tried to pull it out by hand, but the tough lil' bastard will not leave.

I'm actually encouraged by this, as I am sure it is some kind of metaphor for ageing.

-Dave K

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #1,653
dkotschessaa said:
I'm actually encouraged by this, as I am sure it is some kind of metaphor for ageing.
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Likes dkotschessaa, Borg and collinsmark
  • #1,654
People from the Philippines are Filipino, not Philipino, and I find that conphusing.

• #1,657
fresh_42 said:
How do you call people from Illinois?
Not sure what the people are called, but I seem to recall a conversation from about 35 years ago where someone from Missouri referred to Illinois as; "Illinoise", and vice versa; "Misery".

hmmmm... I wonder how French people pronounce "Illinois"?
Il-lay-nwah? Ee-lee-nwah?

Never bin to France. I have a new Facebook girlfriend from there though. She seems nice. Though... hmmmm... I think she's 1/3 my age, so I think I put her on FB "mute" about a month ago. Young people's brains work to fast, IMHO.

• #1,658
Illinoians? Illinoisians? Illians?

• #1,659
OmCheeto said:
Not sure what the people are called, but I seem to recall a conversation from about 35 years ago where someone from Missouri referred to Illinois as; "Illinoise", and vice versa; "Misery".
I thought it might have been something noisy. :cool: But "Misery" is good one.
hmmmm... I wonder how French people pronounce "Illinois"?
Should be no problem: Illinoises doesn't sound noisy in French. But I'm not sure whether it's French at all. They have a lot of indigenous names up there.

• #1,660
nuuskur said:
Illinoians? Illinoisians? Illians?
Sounds annoying.

Last edited:
  • #1,661
fresh_42 said:
How do you call people from Illinois?
With my phone.

Likes Ibix and zoobyshoe
  • #1,662
People come to me after seeing a youtube video about how the sum of all natural numbers is some magical [itex]-\frac{1}{12}[/itex] and they back it up by saying " .. but they say it's often used in QM, so it must be true..!" . I'm like: nope, that is not the sum of natural numbers :(

• #1,663
nuuskur said:
People come to me after seeing a youtube video about how the sum of all natural numbers is some magical [itex]-\frac{1}{12}[/itex] and they back it up by saying " .. but they say it's often used in QM, so it must be true..!" . I'm like: nope, that is not the sum of natural numbers :(
It is in a certain sense when involving analytic continuation of a function* that produces that sum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_+_2_+_3_+_4_+_⋯

*(for example the Riemann Zeta function of -1.)

• #1,664
I have seen a few proofs of the claim. One that abuses the Riemann zeta function [itex]\zeta (s) := \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{k^s}[/itex]. This is valid only when [itex]Re(s)>1[/itex]. and they conclude result by
[tex]
\zeta (s) = 2^s \pi ^{s-1}\sin\left (\frac{s\pi}{2}\right )\Gamma (1-s)\zeta (1-s)\vert _{s=-1} = -\frac{1}{12}
[/tex] which, indeed, is true, but its association to the series representation is invalid. Then there is the geometric series "proof" where they say [itex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty x^k = \frac{1}{1-x}[/itex] and they do mention that it is valid when [itex]x<1[/itex], but then conviniently set [itex]x=-1[/itex] and conclude their result. In reality, the sum is valid when [itex]|x|<1[/itex] i.e they cheated. It's known as ex falso quodlibet. Proceed under false assumptions and conclude that the Sun is smaller than the Earth.. hooray. Not quite -.-

If we involve analytic continuation then we are no longer talking about the sum in the traditional sense. This is the part people get confused, because nobody explicitly states that we aren't actually talking about the sum in the sense of addition. It's more like, we assign a value to this series and prove that the operation is valid. But that's not exciting, is it?

I wouldn't be studying pure mathematics if the principles of logic were so easily defied without consequence. The heretics may preach what they wish, at that point, what they dabble in is no longer backed by logic, therefore not mathematics.

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy
  • #1,665
The trouble with computers is they enable us to transfer our human stubbornness, pettiness and chicanery to what ought to be be well behaved predictable and obedient machines.

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #1,666
jim hardy said:
The trouble with computers is they enable us to transfer our human stubbornness, pettiness and chicanery to what ought to be be well behaved predictable and obedient machines.

That is actually a very well crafted and quoteworthy statement.

• #1,667
17191150_1273574449395661_3676919121022839867_n.jpg

Likes DennisN, nuuskur, jim hardy and 4 others
  • #1,668
a02a73655ff42e9bb5f457866631ff87.jpg

Likes dkotschessaa and OmCheeto
  • #1,669
Science in ancient Egypt: hierophysics.

• #1,670
Have no fear, Summer is here: Longest sunny day I can remember. It is 5:15 and the sun looks as in a standard sunny day at around 1 p.m. Yet it snowed two days ago. Kind of confusing.

• #1,671
WWGD said:
Have no fear, ...
Easily said. Since I've heard Iggy in a commercial, I mean Iggy, ... I've lost all my trust in this world.

• #1,672
fresh_42 said:
Easily said. Since I've heard Iggy in a commercial, I mean Iggy, ... I've lost all my trust in this world.

Iggy? German TV?

• #1,673
Yep. Not himself, just his song.
... half naked old men don't sell well even here ...

• #1,674
The new year just started in Iran. We entered 1396!
I hope tensions start to decrease all over the world.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
  • #1,675
ShayanJ said:
We entered 1396
does not compute

• #1,676
WWGD said:
Have no fear, Summer is here: Longest sunny day I can remember. It is 5:15 and the sun looks as in a standard sunny day at around 1 p.m. Yet it snowed two days ago. Kind of confusing.

Dreading the arrival of summer here in FL. "Winter" has been beautiful. Even spring has been kind of mild with a few days in the upper 80s.

• #1,678
I watched a video of a small house being printed by a large 3-D printer. Instead of plastic it was "printing" in cement. That pushed me over into now believing that 3-D printing is the future of everything.

• #1,679
Dang, I just recognized, that I know what a choke is.

• #1,680
fresh_42 said:
Dang, I just recognized, that I know what a choke is.
How about an anti-choke , or at least an arti-choke ( which is different from an artsy choke and an artsy bloke )?