What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,111
skyshrimp said:
I'm making 1.5kg of salf beef. Americans call it corned beef.

Had to wait for the potassium nitrate to come from eBay, now I have to wait 10 days for it to cure in the fridge. The final stage is letting it simmer for 4 hours, then it's salt beef, mustard and pickle sandwiches.
Right on. I respect true , full dedication to making a quality sandwich!

Likes skyshrimp
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,112
So this guy in a wheelchair gets into the bus. Some 20 minutes to help him and make sure he is safely-attached to the bus. Another 20 min or so when he wants to get out...until he stands up from the chair, pulls it out with him and exits the bus...?

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
  • #5,113
There you go, god exists. q.e.d

• #5,114
nuuskur said:
There you go, god exists. q.e.d
Occam's dull razor. "Choose the least offensive hypotheses."
Both posts tounge-in-cheek, of course; begging-the-question
"Can you speak while your tounge is in your cheek?"

Likes WWGD
  • #5,115
Weird-funny situation: walking in the sidewalk , this woman sideways to me, at the same "level", both of us walking at the same speed, kind of awkward. She speeds up to move ahead, so do I ( not on purpose). She slows down, so do I. I then just stop and let her ahead. It was daytime in a crowded place, so no further worry for her, I guess.

• #5,116
Just a guess: you are a somewhat large adult male.

• #5,117
Klystron said:
Just a guess: you are a somewhat large adult male.
Yeah, around 6'11/2", 210. She seemed scared out of her mind when she ran away, even at around noon in a crowded place.

Likes Klystron
  • #5,118
WWGD said:
Yeah, around 6'11/2", 210. She seemed scared out of her mind when she ran away, even at around noon in a crowded place.
Dude! Allow me to play the gruff fatherly figure though it is too hot to wear a sweater with or without elbow patches :cool:.

My old man stopped me while I walked across our living room deep in thought one cloudy day. He told me my manner and expression would terrify a hungry wolverine, or words to that effect.

"Stand straight, make light eye contact and smile, always smile. Smile, and act friendly."

That afternoon we bought sunglasses to protect my eyesight from glare but also to protect strangers from my 'baleful noon-day stare'. See, I still wear them :oldcool:.

On the plus side I can walk alone through even the toughest towns as blithely as Alice and her sister napping among the hedgerows.

Likes pinball1970 and WWGD
  • #5,119
Klystron said:
Dude! Allow me to play the gruff fatherly figure though it is too hot to wear a sweater with or without elbow patches :cool:.

My old man stopped me while I walked across our living room deep in thought one cloudy day. He told me my manner and expression would terrify a hungry wolverine, or words to that effect.

"Stand straight, make light eye contact and smile, always smile. Smile, and act friendly."

That afternoon we bought sunglasses to protect my eyesight from glare but also to protect strangers from my 'baleful noon-day stare'. See, I still wear them :oldcool:.

On the plus side I can walk alone through even the toughest towns as blithely as Alice and her sister napping among the hedgerows.
Get your point. I will stop mumbling : "Do you feel lucky? Well, do you, punk?"*And I will start my smiling exercises to undo the facial gridlock :).
*From watching way too many Clint Eastwood marathons in TBS.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and Klystron
  • #5,120
Apropos to large humans I often imagine how different online social exchanges might be with physical proximity.

In the early days of implementing sendmail on DARPA-net / NASA.net I received numerous complaints about a programmer sending insulting messages to coworkers. I sent polite messages to please be civil, quell the 'flames', but was rebuffed and insulted in turn. I was able to deduce the building and then cubicle of the offender from packet data. I rode my bicycle over to that building across the flight line, found the cubicle and braced the nascent flamer in the act.

I almost felt sorry for the Dude, he was so shocked to confront a large frowning administrator. He apologized profusely and promised to be polite on all future correspondence. Last time I did that but still I wonder how proximity might aid civility?

[Edit: made reference clear. :cool:]

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
  • #5,121
Klystron said:
Apropos to @WWGD 's posts I often imagine how different social exchanges might be with physical proximity.

In the early days of implementing sendmail on DARPA-net / NASA.net I received numerous complaints about a programmer sending insulting messages to coworkers. I sent polite messages to please be civil, quell the 'flames', but was rebuffed and insulted in turn. I was able to deduce the building and then cubicle of the offender from packet data. I rode my bicycle over to Space Sciences, found the cubicle and braced the nascent flamer in the act.

I almost felt sorry for the Dude, he was so shocked to confront a large frowning administrator. He apologized profusely and promised to be polite on all future correspondence. Last time I did that but still I wonder how proximity might aid civility?
Sounds like a key board tough guy, symptomatic of social media culture. I expect better from STEM guys though.

• Sad
Likes WWGD and Klystron
  • #5,122
Ampulla said:
What causes quantum uncertainty? My friend who's working for Apknite says that detectors are not the cause of wave collapse, because you are measuring something that isn't remaining in the same state.
That's not it I don't think.
The uncertainty principle is specific. @Dale will expand if he is about.

• #5,123
Windows' Computer on wait: "Refreshing information":
8GB Ram...

Not so refreshing.

• #5,124
WWGD said:
Windows' Computer on wait: "Refreshing information":
8GB Ram...

Not so refreshing.
Windows (no server editions) only work fine as long as you do not update their patches and do not install proper software, i.e. software which requires more than e.g. notepad.

I had a startup time from a couple of seconds, and then their updates came ... I'm meanwhile above two minutes, sometimes close to three.

Likes Bystander
  • #5,125
fresh_42 said:
Windows (no server editions) only work fine as long as you do not update their patches and do not install proper software, i.e. software which requires more than e.g. notepad.

I had a startup time from a couple of seconds, and then their updates came ... I'm meanwhile above two minutes, sometimes close to three.
Not very refreshing either.

• #5,126
WWGD said:
Not very refreshing either.
Yep. It's like a vintage car. As long as you do not use it, it will be fine.

Likes Klystron
  • #5,127
A M said:
A study published by Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) in 2005 showed that overweight people had a death rate similar to normal weight people as defined by BMI, while underweight and obese people had a higher death rate.
Yes, as you know BMI depends on mass, height, age and gender.
But there are also many parameters upon which BMI depends: e.g. Bone Density, the Amount of Muscles & Fat.
It's clear that the more density your bones, the higher mass your body gets.
So overweight people might have just denser bones.
Muscle vs Fat:
BMI is particularly inaccurate for people who are very fit or athletic, as their high muscle mass can classify them in the overweight category by BMI (muscle is much denser than fat), even though their body fat percentages frequently fall in the 10–15% category, which is below that of a more sedentary person of average build who has a normal BMI number.
So, if you're an athletic (or have a high ratio of muscle to fat) don't worry. You are healthier than what your BMI states.:smile:
(There are some useful information on Wiki)
Yes that's me, thanks.

• #5,128
fresh_42 said:
Yep. It's like a vintage car. As long as you do not use it, it will be fine.
Post #123 regarding uncertainty needs a technical response if you can. Edit post removed

Last edited:
  • #5,129
Me: "I appreciate it"
Cost Accountant: " I depreciate it"

• Haha
Likes nuuskur and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #5,130
pinball1970 said:
Post #123 regarding uncertainty needs a technical response if you can. Edit post removed
A bit more refreshing. "Refreshinger"?

• #5,131
Met this guy I hadn't seen in a few months. His hair , during this time, went from being dark to being almost fully white. I knd of gasped, but had no idea if I should ask him about it. He acted as if it was normal, as if nothing had happened. Then again, there was this other guy I knew who would fart in front of me and say nothing, as if this was a normal thing. Maybe I should review the company I keep.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #5,133
Volunteers in the street: "Sir, would you like to change the world". Reply:"What, you mean in exchange for a new one?".
Volunteers:"...??!"

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and strangerep
  • #5,134
It is interesting hearing tourists identify beaches as the ones with “pretty people”, “uglier people”, “stereotypical people”, and “industrial people”.

They were from Germany

• #5,135
Another weirdly-phrased question: " How do I turn 75 minutes into days?"

Wait at least 22 hrs and 45 minutes?

• #5,136
ProfuselyQuarky said:
It is interesting hearing tourists identify beaches as the ones with “pretty people”, “uglier people”, “stereotypical people”, and “industrial people”.

They were from Germany
Pretty sure they had a 47+ word for each of those? Unterstrandenfahrvernugengegeiserschaften? ( The "Ubercalifragilistikenexpialisheizer" is silent.)

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #5,137
WWGD said:
Another weirdly-phrased question: " How do I turn 75 minutes into days?"

Wait at least 22 hrs and 45 minutes?
I know people who can turn far less into days if you have to listen to them.

• Love
Likes JBA
  • #5,138
WWGD said:
Pretty sure they had a 47+ word for each of those? Unterstrandenfahrvernugengegeiserschaften? ( The "Ubercalifragilistikenexpialisheizer" is silent.)
Oh indeed it was poetic

Likes WWGD
  • #5,139
fresh_42 said:
Ouch! I hadn't been told that in a while ( by my students, who recorded my classes and then listened to them to put themselves to sleep.)

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #5,140
fresh_42 said:
But I think the question meant was that of what fraction of a day is 75 minutes. So you divide 75 by 24*60.

• #5,141
WWGD said:
Ouch! I hadn't been told that in a while ( by my students, who recorded my classes and then listened to them to put themselves to sleep.)
That sounds lovely, you should upload your lectures on Spotify as ASMR

Likes WWGD
  • #5,142
ProfuselyQuarky said:
That sounds lovely, you should upload your lectures on Spotify as ASMR
That was from a while back when I taught.

• #5,143
Somewhat surprised to see Combinatorics reported here in the New York Times newspaper this fine Sunday morning. Does this imply that combinatorics is now "dead", in the sense that exposure on public media is the "kiss of death" for STEM ideas?

• #5,144
Red skies in the evening with a few rain drops, ...
redrain.jpg

Likes OmCheeto and Klystron
  • #5,145