What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,181
Just listened to this song in my YouTube "Path" : " I just want to fly" by Sugar Ray ( Sugar A?) . Don't get how someone is so passionate about finding a fly. Fly -fishing? Ok, dude, just catch a fly and you're done.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,182
Maybe the song has been recorded in winter.

• #5,183
I never understood "I want to fly like a beagle...".
OK a flying dog sounds cool, but is he going to flap his ears?

• #5,184
WWGD said:
Just listened to this song in my YouTube "Path" : " I just want to fly" by Sugar Ray ( Sugar A?) . Don't get how someone is so passionate about finding a fly. Fly -fishing? Ok, dude, just catch a fly and you're done.

Decades ago when I worked in Nigeria, there was a joke among expats in Nigeria that goes:
When an expa first arrives in Africa and finds a fly in his drink, he becomes incensed and yells "Waiter, there is a fly in my drink!" and demands a new drink.
After a couple of months in the country, when he finds a fly in his drink, he just picks it out and drinks the drink.
After a bit longer in the country, if receives a drink with no fly he become incensed and shouts "Waiter, where is my fly!"

Hence: the song "I just want to fly"

• Haha
Likes WWGD, Klystron and fresh_42
  • #5,185
HankDorsett said:
Continuing on from the very first response to this thread. What are your thoughts on the show that validates children's believes that they see and talk to ghosts?

I haven't watched it yet, mainly due to shows like this make me want to throw something at my TV. To me this seems criminal, between the parents raising their children to believe in such nonsense as well as these shows profiting a psychological issue in children makes me kind of angry.
Umm,... and what about every religion/cult that's been doing something similar for thousands of years in order to control and fleece a gullible population... ?

Likes Klystron
  • #5,186
Klystron said:
I never understood "I want to fly like a beagle...".
Really? You've never heard of snoopy vs the red baron? (Try googling it.) :oldbiggrin:

• Love
Likes JBA, WWGD, fresh_42 and 2 others
  • #5,187
strangerep said:
Really? You've never heard of snoopy vs the red baron? (Try googling it.) :oldbiggrin:

Likes Klystron
  • #5,188
strangerep said:
No need for Google!

"Many men died tryin' to end the spree,
Of the bloody Red Baron of Ger-man-y..."

"Ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty or more,
The Bloody Red Baron was rollin' up the score."

"Many men died tryin' to end the spree,
Of the bloody Red Baron of Ger-man-y..."

"In the nick of time a Hero arose,
A funny little dog with a big black nose..."

Now I get it!
"Fly like a beagle, to the Sea,
Fly like a beagle, let old Snoopy carry me..." dah-do-dah-du-du...

Likes fresh_42
  • #5,189
Inner Voice/Outer Voice Part 2:

Me: I ask this woman: Do you know where the bathroom is?

A: What do you think I look like?

Me You don't want to know . Oops.

• #5,190
Do you know these people who wait 5 minutes in front of the counter and when it's their turn they start to discuss and debate what to order? At McDonald's?

I turned and left. If I accept to wait I go for some real food.

• #5,191
fresh_42 said:
I turned and left. If I accept to wait I go for some real food.
Burger Keiser?

• #5,192
WWGD said:
Burger Keiser?
No. Wrong coke.

• #5,193
fresh_42 said:
No. Wrong coke.
Pepsi Nugen? Or maybe Ted Nugen(t)?

• #5,194
I thought about the Colonel, but then I had to cross the entire town. Döner would have won if they had a place to park.

• #5,195
fresh_42 said:
I thought about the Colonel, but then I had to cross the entire town. Döner would have won if they had a place to park.
Why does Doner need to park? It is already there!

• #5,196
fresh_42 said:
Doesn't the TEE take you to Doner?

• #5,197
strangerep said:
fresh_42 said:

Here's one with a functional flying doghouse.

Likes Klystron
  • #5,198
The Beagle video's for sale very cheap... you can have it for peanuts *

* For peanuts, from peanuts, by peanuts..and Charles Schulz.

• #5,199
strangerep said:
Umm,... and what about every religion/cult that's been doing something similar for thousands of years in order to control and fleece a gullible population... ?
Even though I'm on a science forum that's still a topic that I won't touch. It's nearly impossible to talk to anyone with extreme viewpoints regardless of which side they are on.

• #5,200
HankDorsett said:
Even though I'm on a science forum that's still a topic that I won't touch. It's nearly impossible to talk to anyone with extreme viewpoints regardless of which side they are on.
Indeed. Fundamentalism in <insert a subject of your choice> is the total opposite of a scientific attitude which demands the willingness to question everything and take nothing for granted without proof or evidence. Both create necessarily a contradiction if mixed.

• #5,201
WWGD said:
Not anymore. It rather takes a walk nowadays. I'm not sure whether the TEE ever made it to Istanbul, but I had preferred this one anyway.

Likes Klystron
  • #5,202
WWGD said:
Btw. Yes, Döner have been invented by a Turk, Kadir Nurman. However, he lived in Berlin, so no trans europe express would have been needed.

The story is funny and tells something about cultures. The dish itself is old, and Nurman had opened a restaurant in Berlin, offering Turkish dishes. But he had no guests. Everybody was running by. To run in contrast to have a meal and two hours time in east Anatolia. So he simply thought: If the Germans do not have time to sit down and eat during their lunch break, I'll put my dishes in a pocket of flatbread and make it an "on-the-run".

At least this is the most popular version. You bet that several others also claim their versions.

Edit: An American student got so used to eat Döner when studying in Berlin, that he opened a Döner stand when back in Seattle. As the poor guy wasn't allowed to import the meat he experimented almost two years to reproduce the right mixture, consistency, and spices. When he finally got it, his business flourished. I hadn't a moment of doubt. It is like made for Americans, too: meat, salad in an eatable pocket and made in minutes. And honestly? It is better food than any burger, considering the nutritions.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
  • #5,203
If his name is Alfred Nurman, or , even better Alfred E Nurman, please srend me one.

• #5,204
As a Math person, it hurts me deeply that apartment 1B is not just called apartment B. No units in ring of apartments? There is torsion, because if there are k stories in the complex then (k+1)B =0, because there is no (k+1)St floor. But no unity!

• #5,206
fresh_42 said:
One possibility, ##1## isn't a unit.
Maybe true, it is der Janitor's closet.

• #5,207
WWGD said:
Maybe true, it is der Janitor's closet.
Try not to ask him if he is a zero divisor ...

• #5,208
fresh_42 said:
Try not to ask him if he is a zero divisor ...
Alfred E Nurman : 0 dividekeit. Ich, worry?

• #5,209
Firefox update @#$% wiped out all my bookmarks. Will have to export them/save them from time-to-time from now on.

• #5,210
WWGD said:
update @#$% wiped out all my bookmarks.
Isn't software wonderful? Ready to join the Luddites?

• Haha
Likes WWGD and Klystron
  • #5,211
Bystander said:
Yup.
<Smashes compu...>

Likes Klystron
  • #5,212
Bystander said:
Right. We take x steps forward, y backwards and we hope that x>y. Not quite sure it's true. EDIT: I, and I am sure many others, had ignored the repeated warnings on blackboxing technology to the degree that we had, that it would increase complexity to the point of implosion. Maybe the day is here.

• #5,213
My Ethiopian friend is highly Selassie.

• #5,214
WWGD said:
My Ethiopian friend is highly Selassie.
I don't know if Selassie translates to "Se-Collie"