What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,986
20-2-2020 or , in other countries 2-20-2020 coming in a few days.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,987
fresh_42 said:
Those who were flown out had to stay 2 weeks - incarnation time. However, they kept them in a military base.

Incarnation time :-) Do you come back as someone else?

Cheers

• #5,988
cosmik debris said:

Cheers
Oh yeah, I knew it sounded strange. Incubation period, of course.

• #5,989
cosmik debris said:

Cheers
Incarnation everyone must drive.

• #5,990
WWGD said:
Incarnation everyone must drive.
I thought in Carnation was where Cleopatra spent most of her time.

• #5,991
Words that are confused often: lose and loose . The product " loose skin solution" would become "lose skin solution", an unusual product.

• #5,992
To write english is a pain. I like Shaw's example: How do you pronounce "ghot"?

• #5,993
fresh_42 said:
To write english is a pain. I like Shaw's example: How do you pronounce "ghot"?
That was the 'fish' thing, right?

• #5,994
Yes. No wonder you have spelling competitions. All others spell what they hear.

• #5,995
fresh_42 said:
Yes. No wonder you have spelling competitions. All others spell what they hear.
But I do wonder why so many of the winners are Indian ( meaning from India) or 2nd gen India. Maybe from having to learn to pronounce those 15-letter+ names and last names.

• #5,996
WWGD said:
But I do wonder why so many of the winners are Indian ( meaning from India) or 2nd gen India. Maybe from having to learn to pronounce those 15-letter+ names and last names.
Guess there are several reasons for it. E.g. minorities often stress learning and competitions a lot more than members of the majority. And the Indian culture of science is about 5,000 years old, which is funny for people with such a complex variety of gods. It seems there is more than one society which proudly pampers its contradictions.

• #5,997
WWGD said:

A labmate from India once told me that India has a huge number of different languages and some people (for example him) are able to pick up different languages rapidly and easily. This was useful for interacting with other groups of people.
Not clear if this is a culturally learned capacity or that a genetically endowed ability that might have be adaptive was selected for due to its increased communication abilities.
In either case, such abilities might explain good spelling abilities.

• #5,998
I hope that ability to spell is part of a larger package because it seems like a waste to devote talent only to spell words.

• #5,999
UN report ( can't find the link) claims the world can sustain more than 1 trillion people. I think they assume massive buildup of high-rises but some land just cannot support it and would collapse/implode. It would require such massive rethinking and engineering that its not likely possible for 100s of years from now.

• #6,000
If you have a 24hr cancellation policy: why do you allow #$@ next-day appointments?

• #6,001
Ok, "Year-end bonus", not "Rear-end bonus", makes more sense now.

• #6,002
The benefits of 0 divisors. #FirstWorldIssues.
Why is the number of days in a week a prine number, unlike number of degrees in a circle or other composite?
Say I want to shave every 3rd day . No matter what weekday I start, I won't be able to use the same days of the week because 7 is prime. If I shave Monday, then I also shave Thursday, then Sunday. And then Wednesday.

• #6,003
WWGD said:
Why is the number of days in a week a prine number, unlike number of degrees in a circle or other composite?
Say I want to shave every 3rd day . No matter what weekday I start, I won't be able to use the same days of the week because 7 is prime. If I shave Monday, then I also shave Thursday, then Sunday. And then Wednesday.
Same reason as 17 year cicadas. It is to evade the beard predators.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, Keith_McClary, *now* and 1 other person
  • #6,004
Are we lucky that we have a moon with an orbital period with a low number of convenient sized divisors? 28 days can only be divided by 2, 4, 7 or 14. If it orbited every 40 days or something then some countries would have gone for 8 day weeks and others for 10.

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #6,005
WWGD said:
##3 \nmid 28##

Blame the Babylonians and the Semitics. But there is a solution for you. Since you cannot return to the days when moon orbited Earth faster, maybe you can wait until it is far enough that it takes ##30## days. Then you can introduce a week of ##6## days.

• #6,006
WWGD said:
..."lose skin solution", an unusual product.
Motorcycles?

• #6,007
Klystron said:
Motorcycles?
Maybe in France , but not in Toulouse ( Scraping the bottom).

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #6,008
jbriggs444 said:
Same reason as 17 year cicadas. It is to evade the beard predators.
Is that like one of those movies, attack of the killer (shaving?) razors?

• #6,009
fresh_42 said:
##3 \nmid 28##

Blame the Babylonians and the Semitics. But there is a solution for you. Since you cannot return to the days when moon orbited Earth faster, maybe you can wait until it is far enough that it takes ##30## days. Then you can introduce a week of ##6## days.
Done, we'll wait for that. I like practical solutions ;).

Likes Keith_McClary and fresh_42
  • #6,010
Talk about practical solutions. Note to self: Ask one question at a time when texting. If you ask 2 or more,
you may receive an answer for each but the order of the reply may not match the order of the questions.

• #6,011
WWGD said:
Talk about practical solutions. Note to self: Ask one question at a time when texting. If you ask 2 or more,
you may receive an answer for each but the order of the reply may not match the order of the questions.
Í like questions with an OR. They are usually so easy to answer.

• #6,012
fresh_42 said:
Í like questions with an OR. They are usually so easy to answer.
"Gimme your lunch money OR I'll beat you up"

An example of the bullyin' OR.

• #6,013
Ibix said:
"Gimme your lunch money OR I'll beat you up"

An example of the bullyin' OR.
But that's an order, not a question. The question would be: "Would you consider to give me your lunch money or shall I beat you up?" in which case yes or no is still the only solution, depending on the fitness of whom has been asked.

• #6,014
Im not particularly knowledgeable in zoology or entomology or whatever may apply burt I am still having trouble understanding how flies can have an emirate.

• #6,015
I had to put up my biggest, phoniest smile when person next to me at coffee shop pulled power cord from my PC ( my PC battery is not working): No, no problem (AAAAGH...)

Likes Keith_McClary and Klystron
  • #6,016
I have listened to two press conferences about covid-19, one held by the RKI and one held by politicians. Guess which one made sense and which one contained just hot air!

Likes Klystron
  • #6,017
Interesting sentence:
Megan Markle is not one of the successful Sussex exes.

• #6,018
I want a 98" UHD TV.

I have a 55". The 75" is a nice size. The 82" is very nice, but a 98" will be amazing.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and AlexCaledin
  • #6,019
skyshrimp said:
I want a 98" UHD TV.

I have a 55". The 75" is a nice size. The 82" is very nice, but a 98" will be amazing.
You can design your life around some of the 300+- channel lineups and just watch tv all day. There's all- movie , channels, sports, sitcoms, variety. Kind of funny is the issue of the time you spend looking at the tv guides containing the listings; takes at least 10 minutes to cycle through the list of shows in 300+ channels.

• #6,020
@Klystron : there was a good book a while back: Politically Correct bedtime stories. A bit exaggerated but funny I thought.

• Informative
Likes Klystron