What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,161
I have a book co-authored by Collatz about optimization theory ...

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,162
hutchphd said:
Fair enough, but a priori how would one know this?
Bootstrapping?/jk

• #6,163
YAY! I went to the grocery store yesterday (don't tell my daughter). I found toilet paper, paper towels, flour, rubbing alcohol, BUT that had been relabeled as HAND SANITIZER and a 98 cent bottle was selling for $8! It was just plain rubbing alcohol, nothing else, just a different label! That PISSED ME OFF. But I bought it, it was all they had. :( I may go after them for price gouging. Nice to see the shelves stocked again.

• Wow
Likes dlgoff, collinsmark, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
  • #6,164
We can get hand sanitizer made by a local distillery. Less than $8.

Likes Keith_McClary and Evo
  • #6,165
BillTre said:
We can get hand sanitizer made by a local distillery. Less than $8.
This was a local distillery, SHAMEFUL! Small Bottle. I'm keeping my receipt for proof of the price gouging.

Likes BillTre
  • #6,166
Evo said:
YAY! I went to the grocery store yesterday (don't tell my daughter). I found toilet paper, paper towels, flour, rubbing alcohol, BUT that had been relabeled as HAND SANITIZER and a 98 cent bottle was selling for $8! It was just plain rubbing alcohol, nothing else, just a different label! That PISSED ME OFF. But I bought it, it was all they had. :( I may go after them for price gouging. Nice to see the shelves stocked again.
Take revenge on some other store. Like those with signs of "Everything for $1". Just go there, give them $1 and demand to receive everything in the store. Maybe they will finally learn to quantify correctly.

Likes Ibix, Keith_McClary and Evo
  • #6,167
WWGD said:
Take revenge on some other store. Like those with signs of "Everything for $1". Just go there, give them $1 and demand to receive everything in the store. Maybe they will finally learn to quantify correctly.
AHAHAHAHA I am just about in the mood to do that!

Likes Keith_McClary and WWGD
  • #6,168
Evo said:
I went to the grocery store yesterday (don't tell my daughter).
Urrgghhh! I'm with your daughter. We fight the same battle.

• #6,169
fresh_42 said:
Urrgghhh! I'm with your daughter.
You shouldn't be with her daughter before asking permission!

• Haha
Likes Evo, Ibix and Keith_McClary
  • #6,170
At the store:
"Someone here told me last week I could pick up my item up today".
"Who was it?".
"The guy with the mask...".

• Haha
Likes Evo
  • #6,171
I had a gross experience late last night.

I was quite drunk and watching 3D films on my Oculus Rift VR headset, so the room lights were off. The fridges are in the garden and I left my empty pint glass on the patio floor. I went out and got my last beer for the night and started filling the glass in the dark. It really frothed up, so I let it settle and poured in the rest of the beer. I went back inside and continued with what I was watched on the Rift, occasionally lifting it off my face to have a sip.

When I got to the last gulp, I felt something touch my lip. I turned the light on and found it was a slug inside the glass ?:)

I ran to the toilet and chucked.

tl;dr I drank slug slime infused beer last night.

• Wow
Likes Evo
  • #6,172
Is it possible to clean a book without reprinting it?

This is the book I found in my father’s old cupboard:
image.jpg

The sides of the book looks like this:
image.jpg

This is how it looks from back side (I know it looks very luxurious from back)
image.jpg

The problem is the book shedding small small dirts (which I think are small pieces of paper which are getting shed due to being old and rotten). Is there any way I can clean this book? My book is free from termites, but it’s not clean, cleaning it with wet cloth results in tearing of pages. What can I do?

• #6,173
It may be falling apart because it is not acid free paper. I think it just kind falls apart over time.

To clean papers and textiles without water, you could try a soft crumbly eraser (my sister who works at the Smithsonian told me this).
You paper may be too delicate however.

There are also treatments museums do that neutralizes the paper's pH (to slow its aging).
They probably involve water.

Likes Adesh
  • #6,174
Thank for the advice.

BillTre said:
my sister who works at the Smithsonian told me this
Did you ask her specifically for my issue? Thank you so much.

• #6,175
NO.
Several years ago, I got an old hang-on-the-wall type cloth anatomy poster.
It was in pretty good shape, but dirty.
Asked her about it.

• Sad
Likes Adesh
  • #6,176
BillTre said:
NO
I thought I was special to you, :(

• #6,177
Gagnam style video, first to reach 1 billion views just hit 3.5 billion.

• #6,178
Adesh said:
I thought I was special to you, :(
Maybe post the question in the general discussion section?

• #6,179
1587814217677.png

• Haha
Likes Evo, Borg and Bystander
  • #6,180
I wonder if " United States" is the name for some food in Turkish Language.

• #6,181
I was tired when I suggested the solution to Middle East violence is to put an ATM in the West Bank. Puzzled looks in reply.

• #6,182
ZaQWOwYNJa3lfLKI2A6HjjbhJTQ&_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-1.jpg

... has strange side effects. I invented a new class of Lie algebras ...

• Wow
Likes nuuskur
  • #6,183
I keep having these trivial psychic guesses: Chickens will be on sale at the market. Checks out. I pick up my order from take out and I sense they forgot something. It checks out. I will meet someone today who will talk to me about the Beattles. Check. But never anything useful like the direction of the market or who will win the game so I can bet. What a waste.

Likes Klystron
  • #6,184
When this Covid 19 mess has cleared up, I'm going straight to Thailand.

I haven't been yet. I just want the sunshine and the Thai street food.

Can't wait.

• #6,185
I have found 5 new conjectures. Now I need a book with a reasonably wide margin ...

• Haha
Likes Klystron and nuuskur
  • #6,186
Guess the latest surprise from auto(in)correct: " The onus of the action.."Seems like AI still has got some way to go.

• #6,188
fresh_42 said:
Whom did you want to write anus?
Lucky guess. Questions apparently have them too.

• #6,189
Wow, I heard some of the Chess masters may lose up to 6-8 pounds when playing particularly-intense tournaments.

• #6,190
Kortchnoi once said in an interview, that he loses up to 10 pounds. It's professional sports. The only difference is that the brain is used, not the lung.

• #6,191
fresh_42 said:
Kortchnoi once said in an interview, that he loses up to 10 pounds. It's professional sports. The only difference is that the brain is used, not the lung.
I used to think it wasa joke when they called it sports. I imagined two people playing while eating sandwiches and cake.

• #6,192
I keep seeing these ads for methods to get rid of rodents that consist of emitting waves of a specific frequency to annoy the rodents enough to have them leave a house or apartment. Wonder if they have thought, or care, that they are most likely moving the problem to a neighbor.

Last edited:
  • #6,193
Reminds me an episode in Garfield and friends. Garfield bought a 'laser powered elephant repellant' and Jon protested that there's not an elephant within a thousand miles from where they were, so they wouldn't need it. But the salesman replied 'see, how well it works?'

Likes Klystron
  • #6,194
Wow, no joke: Canadian lady arrested wearing a Star Wars costume a few days ago on a " May the Fourth be with you" promotion. Policed shouting her to kneel but she was wearing a suit that did not allow her to.

• #6,195
WWGD said:
Wow, no joke: Canadian lady arrested wearing a Star Wars costume a few days ago on a " May the Fourth be with you" promotion. Policed shouting her to kneel but she was wearing a suit that did not allow her to.
May I ask for the city?