What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #10,221
dlgoff said:
Just to let you guys know, the district just got my water going again.
I always hated that show. Even more now!

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #10,222
dlgoff said:
Just to let you guys know, the district just got my water going again.
Your extreme weather was on our national news, ITV last week.

Likes dlgoff
  • #10,223
Some nice firewirks for the New Year:

• #10,224
Just the more I encounter the traces of that ChatGPT thing on the internet the more I'm sure that it's not built to be a chat-bot but to be a con-man-: a con-bot if you like 😟

Likes Bystander
  • #10,225
So, this is what @chemisttree looks like?

Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 12.35.23 PM.png

• Haha
Likes chemisttree and pinball1970
  • #10,226
My brothern has a cistern.

• Haha
Likes chemisttree and Bystander
  • #10,227
Do engineers take a course in making bad notation? I should have chosen an elective in the physics department... sigh.

• Haha
Likes nuuskur and berkeman
  • #10,228
Mayhem said:
Do engineers take a course in making bad notation?
What, the old ##j## versus ##i## thing? :wink:

• #10,229
berkeman said:
What, the old ##j## versus ##i## thing? :wink:
I wish. Phasor notation namely, using degrees instead of radians in derivations.

• #10,230
What's the deal with leaving 10-second sound messages in What's App?

• #10,231
I had a strange dream last night: I got a job in a building where nobody knew what they were supposed to be doing but would get random meaningless tasks assigned to them by random people at random times from the floor above. The pay was based on which floor you worked on. 10's of thousands -> 100's -> 200's ... Even though the floor above you was somehow in charge of determining your tasks, they also didn't know what the purpose was, and the tasks they delegated to you were based on tasks delegated to them similarly from above. I guessed in the dream that the top floor was occupied by an artificial intelligence, and that the whole enterprise, as well as each individual task, was purposeless, except as a sort of shell company and convoluted way to allow the AI to secretly operate financially.

• #10,232
Sounds like the awareness of a molecule in a much larger organism.
No one at lower levels would have any awareness of what they are doing on a larger scale.

Last edited:
Likes Jarvis323
  • #10,233
Read a really good explanation about the benefits of basic meditation, just plain deep breathing. Then completely forgot it some 15 minutes later.

• #10,234
It's looking like I will be taking on the task of removing my kitchen cabinets and installing new ones by myself this spring. I've never done it before but I did install wood floors throughout the house. It seems pretty straightforward but the first time is always a learning experience. :wideeyed: :nb)

• #10,235
Yet again, the racket of " prices starting from". Yes, Im really interested in the lowest price, but not the highest one.

• #10,236
I met this guy who burnt me, but the burn was good. A few years back, I told him he should allow me to be arrogant because I had found a job after searching for a few months. He said: You must have found a job Edit: every time I run into you. Ouch! But funny.

Last edited:
  • #10,237
WWGD said:
I met this guy who burnt me, but the burn was good. A few years back, I told him he should allow me to be arrogant because I had found a job after searching for a few months. He said: You must have found a job everything I run into you. Ouch! But funny.
Is that, every time rather than 'everything?'

Likes WWGD
  • #10,238
pinball1970 said:
Is that, every time rather than 'everything?'
My bad. Now you have material to burn me. ;).

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #10,239
I just got a pneumonia and flu shot; one in each arm.

Likes pinball1970
  • #10,240
My friend told me his son, 13, I think, is interested in Math, and asked me to give him a problem to solve. The one I gave him, whether there are infinitely-many primes in the standard Fibbonacci sequence, has been open for years now.Oops!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #10,241
So Google sends a warning email telling me my drive is too full at 14GB out of 15 allowed. I've erased around 1.8GB and the total stored still appears at 14GB. And it's a mess. All stored as .xml. May have to try xpath.

Last edited:
  • #10,242
Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 10.00.48 AM.png

• Love
Likes Tom.G, collinsmark, pinball1970 and 1 other person
  • #10,243
I ran into a former gf. I remember part of the reason for the break up: she liked to light candles. I always worried about the place catching on fire. Maybe a middle of the road with flashlights?

• #10,244
WWGD said:
I ran into a former gf. I remember part of the reason for the break up: she liked to light candles. I always worried about the place catching on fire. Maybe a middle of the road with flashlights?
I am a confirmed [divorced] bachelor and date a lot. One almost universal truth is that women love candles. So, I have about 10 in the living room and 20 in the bedroom. LOL! Also, I find that most women enjoy the ritual of lightning them all.

My candle budget is significant!!! Those suckers are expensive.

Likes WWGD
  • #10,245
Ten years ago, I started working out again. Eight years ago, I was in fantastic physical condition. But slowly I started putting on a few pounds here and there. About five years ago I started falling away from my routines [both diet and exercise]. Then I had a major health crisis that set me back big time. In fact, I almost died. When Covid hit I tried to work out with a mask on, but that was impossible. And Grub Hub has been a disaster! LOL!!!

But I'm back on my program now and kicking butt! I'm back on keto, doing HIIT on the elliptical, weightlifting, and swimming; shedding the extra weight like crazy. I'm fit and tight and feel like a million bucks! There are days when I truly feel like I'm 25 again. HIIT is amazingly effective! It can change your life!

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970 and collinsmark
  • #10,246
Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 11.44.18 AM.png

• Haha
Likes nuuskur, pinball1970 and WWGD
  • #10,247
BillTre said:
Another good point, is there is only one valid explanation( up to rewriting) and millions of wrong ones. So you're by default much more likely to be wrong than right.

Likes BillTre
  • #10,248
WWGD said:
Another good point, is there is only one valid explanation( up to rewriting) and millions of wrong ones. So you're by default much more likely to be wrong than right.
Sounds like the thermodynamics of wrong.

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, WWGD and Ibix
  • #10,249
Warm winter => some wild mushrooms from autumn 'happens' even in the middle of winter.
The problem is, that the one from autumn is seriously poisonous. And the one from winter (which is edible and a rare, nice find) looks quite the same 😟
Even their habitat has similarities.

Galerina Marginata vs Flammulina Velutipes
The 'black foot' may be there, with some other signs but - just not good enough against the amatoxins of the other one :nb)
One more species off the list :oldcry:

• #10,250
New chocolate from Tanzania: The Zanzibar candy bar.

Likes BillTre
  • #10,251
I read today that when the Nepal air crash occurred, one of the passengers was live-streaming on Facebook at the time. :frown:

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #10,252
Borg said:
I read today that when the Nepal air crash occurred, one of the passengers was live-streaming on Facebook at the time. :frown:
Yeah, I think it was posted on the CNN website. I haven't watched it yet, and may decide not to. An aviation expert said that the video helped to confirm that the plane was turning too sharply and got into a nose-up stall too low to the ground to recover...

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
  • #10,253
That's where I read it as well. I just didn't want to post a link to such a sad thing.

Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
  • #10,254
Ok, consensus is in:
Shouting : " My wallet!, My wallet!" , as a jogger passes by you, is "not cool, not acceptable"

• Haha
Likes berkeman
  • #10,255
Jarvis323 said:
I had a strange dream last night: I got a job in a building where nobody knew what they were supposed to be doing but would get random meaningless tasks assigned to them by random people at random times from the floor above. The pay was based on which floor you worked on. 10's of thousands -> 100's -> 200's ... Even though the floor above you was somehow in charge of determining your tasks, they also didn't know what the purpose was, and the tasks they delegated to you were based on tasks delegated to them similarly from above. I guessed in the dream that the top floor was occupied by an artificial intelligence, and that the whole enterprise, as well as each individual task, was purposeless, except as a sort of shell company and convoluted way to allow the AI to secretly operate financially.

You dreamed that you have a government job. :nb)

• Haha
Likes berkeman