Random Thoughts part three

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
The trailing 'u' is generally silent (after 'mas' and 'des'), it's a relic of romanization of the 'su' character in hirangana. (There's no 's' in hirangana)
-------------------------------

Yay! 100th post mine.
(Evo's start post doesn't count :devil:)

HIRAGANA!!!! not hirangana :D It is written -masu, -desu in romaji, hiragana and katakana. There are syllables based on the vowels a i u e o. One of those syllables with an s is Su. Sa Shi Su Se So

You are correct of course, that the u is silent in pronunciation, but not missing in writing.

For example, the word Wakarimashita - means "I got it" "Understood" in a polite manner. You pronounce it with the silent i in the Shi syllable.

Last edited:
Om in #94:
ps. Enigman, always spell it phonetically, as googling fakers, like myself, will, um, google the word.

:biggrin:
you pass

Last edited:
Nani? Nihongo wo kenkyuu shinai desuka?

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Nani? Nihongo wo kenkyuu shinai desuka?
You do know, this is an intractable offense.

dooma spell check...... :tongue:

OmCheeto
Gold Member

何? 日本語 を 研究 しない ですか?

Google translate is getting frighteningly smart. :bugeye:

do our random thoughts have to be comprehendable?

Why not? It's a random thought after all... :biggrin:

OmCheeto
Gold Member
The rule is that they have to be in English.

Though homonymic foreign words seem to be acceptable. Dooma = Dumb = Stupid.

ps. I thought I had just made that word up: homonymic
I was quite surprised to see it not underlined in red.(That's what my browser does when I don't, spell, right)
Though it would appear that it does not mean what I meant.

Yah zam idiot = I am an idiot.

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Google translate is getting frighteningly smart. :bugeye:
The really smart thing about it is that it's not smart at all. It doesn't know anything about grammar etc. It works by searching documents that humans have already translated, and then copies and pastes.

This caused a few amusing bugs, like the fact that translating "I" from English might result in random gender changes in different parts of the output - even within the same sentence.

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sometimes they are not even comprehensible.

Hm... if monkeys currently have prehensile tails, will they eventually develop hensile tails?

stop using the word steal!

Nobody steals, they borrow without permission.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
stop using the word steal!

Nobody steals, they borrow without permission.
In art, stealing is equivalent to paying homage.

Suppose the "thief" gets famous for the stolen piece of work, but the original artist gets no credit or no recognition at all. Is that still paying homage to the original artist? :tongue2:

Evo
Mentor
I wouldn't agree with stealing, and I know you don't either, but perhaps the old saying "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" is more what you meant. I in no way condone stealing or forgery, but taking inspiration from another artist is acceptable.

I have thrown away old paint drop cloths that could have been $25 million dollar Pollock's. Actually, I believe that was his first 'discovered' piece of art, the millionairess that became his patron mistook the old drop cloth in his studio for an intentional work and he was too embarrassed to correct her.

Don't start telling me how great he is, I'm kidding, but then again, maybe not. :tongue:

Last edited:
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wouldn't agree with stealing, and I know you don't either, but perhaps the old saying "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" is more what you meant. I in no way condone stealing or forgery, but taking inspiration from another artist is acceptable.

I have thrown away old paint drop cloths that could have been $25 million dollar Pollock's. Actually, I believe that was his first 'discovered' piece of art, the millionairess that became his patron mistook the old drop cloth in his studio for an intentional work and he was too embarrassed to correct her.

Don't start telling me how great he is, I'm kidding, but then again, maybe not. :tongue:
Most definitely, that is what I meant, and also what artists intend when they do it. I had an art teacher who once pointed out how frequently this was done - often subtly, in tucked-away corners of the painting. You'd pretty much have to know (or suspect) it was there in order to see it.

But in contemporary music, it's done all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGt54Ozo8LQ&feature=kp

OmCheeto
Gold Member
But in contemporary music, it's done all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGt54Ozo8LQ&feature=kp
Which I'm really thankful for. The first time I heard the following, I was like; "Somebodies gonna pay some royalties, when so an so hears that riff". But then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FmPskTljo0

I would know nothing of Public Enemy, if it weren't for this song. I'm a bit old to be into hip-hop.

Anyone ever find music with nice guitar intros, but to our horror the vocals soon turn out to be horrible?

Oh yeah, some death metal pieces have quite engaging intros, but as soon as the vocals kick in, you feel like something is dying.

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I usually drive 5 to 10 over the speed limit. But, when I get tailgated like today, I go exactly the speed limit. :devil:

What BASH should really mean - Burn Again, So HELL.
:grumpy:
E: mmm...Brutal AS HELL?...I hate debugging -_-
E2:eek:k, that was trivial...

Last edited:
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Anyone ever find music with nice guitar intros, but to our horror the vocals soon turn out to be horrible?
[Insert Metallica Song Here]

I usually drive 5 to 10 over the speed limit. But, when I get tailgated like today, I go exactly the speed limit. :devil:
I just take my foot off the gas and see how slow the tailgater wants to go. That's a huge pet peeve of mine. Tailgating me is very counter-productive.
I do the same to people who are behind me with their brights on.

There's a lot of traffic related things that are my pet peeves. So many people just have no sense of manners on the road. They may be nice people in person, but in a car, somehow they don't realize what they're doing is completely rude and/or dangerous.

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just take my foot off the gas and see how slow the tailgater wants to go. That's a huge pet peeve of mine. Tailgating me is very counter-productive.
I do the same to people who are behind me with their brights on.

There's a lot of traffic related things that are my pet peeves. So many people just have no sense of manners on the road. They may be nice people in person, but in a car, somehow they don't realize what they're doing is completely rude and/or dangerous.
I don't remember where it was but I remember a thread once where someone was whining about the car in front of them spraying their freshly washed car with windshield washer overspray. I wrote that the only time that I'm ever that inconsiderate is when the person behind me is tailgating. While that post got a lot of comments and laughter, the OP never responded. :rolleyes:

For the highbeams, I usually adjust my side mirrors so that they point directly back at the offender. If they're just clueless, that usually wakes them up. If they're rude, then they get bothered by high beams in their face and pass. Either way, it works.

WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
The How I Met Your Mother finale was the most abysmal display of writing I have ever witnessed.