Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
OmCheeto said:
You do know, this is an intractable offense.

dooma spell check... :tongue:

何? 日本語 を 研究 しない ですか?

Google translate is getting frighteningly smart. :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
You do know, this is an intractable offense.

dooma spell check... :tongue:

do our random thoughts have to be comprehendable?

lendav_rott said:

Why not? It's a random thought after all... :biggrin:

lendav_rott said:

The rule is that they have to be in English.

Though homonymic foreign words seem to be acceptable. Dooma = Dumb = Stupid.

ps. I thought I had just made that word up: homonymic
I was quite surprised to see it not underlined in red.(That's what my browser does when I don't, spell, right)
Though it would appear that it does not mean what I meant.

Yah zam idiot = I am an idiot.

OmCheeto said:
Google translate is getting frighteningly smart. :bugeye:

The really smart thing about it is that it's not smart at all. It doesn't know anything about grammar etc. It works by searching documents that humans have already translated, and then copies and pastes.

This caused a few amusing bugs, like the fact that translating "I" from English might result in random gender changes in different parts of the output - even within the same sentence.

lendav_rott said:

Sometimes they are not even comprehensible.

Hm... if monkeys currently have prehensile tails, will they eventually develop hensile tails?

stop using the word steal!

Nobody steals, they borrow without permission.

lendav_rott said:
stop using the word steal!

Nobody steals, they borrow without permission.

In art, stealing is equivalent to paying homage.

lisab said:

Suppose the "thief" gets famous for the stolen piece of work, but the original artist gets no credit or no recognition at all. Is that still paying homage to the original artist? :tongue2:

lisab said:
I wouldn't agree with stealing, and I know you don't either, but perhaps the old saying "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" is more what you meant. I in no way condone stealing or forgery, but taking inspiration from another artist is acceptable.

I have thrown away old paint drop cloths that could have been $25 million dollar Pollock's. Actually, I believe that was his first 'discovered' piece of art, the millionairess that became his patron mistook the old drop cloth in his studio for an intentional work and he was too embarrassed to correct her.

Don't start telling me how great he is, I'm kidding, but then again, maybe not. :tongue:

Last edited:
Evo said:
I wouldn't agree with stealing, and I know you don't either, but perhaps the old saying "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" is more what you meant. I in no way condone stealing or forgery, but taking inspiration from another artist is acceptable.

I have thrown away old paint drop cloths that could have been $25 million dollar Pollock's. Actually, I believe that was his first 'discovered' piece of art, the millionairess that became his patron mistook the old drop cloth in his studio for an intentional work and he was too embarrassed to correct her.

Don't start telling me how great he is, I'm kidding, but then again, maybe not. :tongue:

Most definitely, that is what I meant, and also what artists intend when they do it. I had an art teacher who once pointed out how frequently this was done - often subtly, in tucked-away corners of the painting. You'd pretty much have to know (or suspect) it was there in order to see it.

But in contemporary music, it's done all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGt54Ozo8LQ&feature=kp

lisab said:
But in contemporary music, it's done all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGt54Ozo8LQ&feature=kp

Which I'm really thankful for. The first time I heard the following, I was like; "Somebodies going to pay some royalties, when so an so hears that riff". But then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FmPskTljo0

I would know nothing of Public Enemy, if it weren't for this song. I'm a bit old to be into hip-hop.

Anyone ever find music with nice guitar intros, but to our horror the vocals soon turn out to be horrible?

Oh yeah, some death metal pieces have quite engaging intros, but as soon as the vocals kick in, you feel like something is dying.

I usually drive 5 to 10 over the speed limit. But, when I get tailgated like today, I go exactly the speed limit. :devil:

What BASH should really mean - Burn Again, So HELL.
:grumpy:
E: mmm...Brutal AS HELL?...I hate debugging -_-
E2:eek:k, that was trivial...

Last edited:
HomogenousCow said:
Anyone ever find music with nice guitar intros, but to our horror the vocals soon turn out to be horrible?

[Insert Metallica Song Here]

Borg said:
I usually drive 5 to 10 over the speed limit. But, when I get tailgated like today, I go exactly the speed limit. :devil:

I just take my foot off the gas and see how slow the tailgater wants to go. That's a huge pet peeve of mine. Tailgating me is very counter-productive.
I do the same to people who are behind me with their brights on.

There's a lot of traffic related things that are my pet peeves. So many people just have no sense of manners on the road. They may be nice people in person, but in a car, somehow they don't realize what they're doing is completely rude and/or dangerous.

leroyjenkens said:
I just take my foot off the gas and see how slow the tailgater wants to go. That's a huge pet peeve of mine. Tailgating me is very counter-productive.
I do the same to people who are behind me with their brights on.

There's a lot of traffic related things that are my pet peeves. So many people just have no sense of manners on the road. They may be nice people in person, but in a car, somehow they don't realize what they're doing is completely rude and/or dangerous.
I don't remember where it was but I remember a thread once where someone was whining about the car in front of them spraying their freshly washed car with windshield washer overspray. I wrote that the only time that I'm ever that inconsiderate is when the person behind me is tailgating. While that post got a lot of comments and laughter, the OP never responded. :rolleyes:

For the highbeams, I usually adjust my side mirrors so that they point directly back at the offender. If they're just clueless, that usually wakes them up. If they're rude, then they get bothered by high beams in their face and pass. Either way, it works.

The How I Met Your Mother finale was the most abysmal display of writing I have ever witnessed.

Let x=0.9999999...

10x-x=9

x=1

the only way it can be true if it's some kind of notation thing where 0.9(9) is another way of expressing 1 or something. If you do 1 - 0.9(9) then it's 0.0000000000000000000000000000000...since there is no last nine in the subtractor, then there is no 0.00...000001 in the sum.

lendav_rott said:
the only way it can be true if it's some kind of notation thing where 0.9(9) is another way of expressing 1 or something.

That's exactly what it is.

Any subsequent post on the subject in this thread will end with an infraction.

It has been discussed to death on the forum in the past. Sadly, it attracts crackpots that don't understand math at atll.

Why is Indian food so expensive?

HomogenousCow said:
Why is Indian food so expensive?

I think the cost per DU* is very reasonable.

*DU = delicious unit

Lol lisab! I totally agree.

This better be the best curry ever made by man.

Gad iz :grumpy:

HomogenousCow said:
This better be the best curry ever made by man.
I was just looking at an old cookbook from the 1970's, curry was "fashionable" and a recipe for chicken curry was just chicken mixed with creamed onions and "add 1/2 teaspoon" of curry powder. That's it, nothing else, not even a hint at what was in the "curry powder". Did I mentioned the chicken was from a jar? I've never seen a jar of chicken, I've seen canned.

I never made that recipe.

Borek said:
That's exactly what it is.

Any subsequent post on the subject in this thread will end with an infraction.

It has been discussed to death on the forum in the past. Sadly, it attracts crackpots that don't understand math at atll.

why is no one dead yet, then? :eek:

lendav_rott said:

we have a winner

I tried a new cheap curry recipe recently that was made from bananas and used English tea instead of stock. The mix of spices was ok but on a whole it was vile.

I don't watch much tv but I'm feeling rather sad that I've finished all my (current) favorite series. Guess I'll have to clean the house whilst i procrastinate.

lendav_rott said:

The threads are.

Ripley said:
I tried a new cheap curry recipe recently that was made from bananas and used English tea instead of stock. The mix of spices was ok but on a whole it was vile.

I don't watch much tv but I'm feeling rather sad that I've finished all my (current) favorite series. Guess I'll have to clean the house whilst i procrastinate.

I'm sorry what, bananas and curry in the same sentence? :O Straaaaange