1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random variables

1. Feb 20, 2005 #1
    Hi I need some help. I don't think I did any of this right.

A small business just leased a new computer and color laser printer for three years. The service contract for the computer offers unlimited repairs for a fee of $100 a year plus a $25 service charge for each repair needed. The company's research suggested that during a given year 86% of these computers needed no repairs, 9% needed to be repaired once, 4% twice, 1% three times, and none required more than three repairs.

1. Find the expected number of repairs this kind of computer is expected to need each year.

100(.86) + 125(.09) + 150(.04) + 175(.01) = 105

2. Find the standard deviation of the number of repairs each year.

.86(100-105)^2 + .09(125-105)^2 + .04(150-105)^2 + .01(175-105)^2 = 187.5
    sqrt(187.5) = 13.69

3. What are the mean and standard deviation of the company's annual expense for the service contract?
    I have no clue how to do this one.

4. How many times should the company expect to have to get this computer repaired over the three-year term of lease?
    None?

5. What is the standard deviation of the number of repairs that may be required during the three-year lease period?
    105*3 = 315

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An answer like 105 should tell you something is wrong.
    Use the right information: A computer needs no repairs with a probability of 86%. 1 repair with a prob. of 9%, 2 repairs with 4% and three with 1%.
    Find the expectation [itex]P(X)[/itex] from this.

1. Find the expectation of the number of repairs squared: [itex]P(X^2)[/itex].
    Then use: [itex]\sigma_X^2=P(X^2)-P(X)^2[/itex]

4. Feb 21, 2005 #3

xanthym

Science Advisor

HINTS GIVEN ABOVE IN RED.
    ~~

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?