1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random variables

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    the random variables X1,X2... are independent and they take 0 and 1 values and they have expected value 0
    if we have Y=X1+X2+...+Xn and Z=X1+X2+....+Xn+Xn+1 what is the ρ(Y,Z) for n=46

i know that ρ(Y,Z)=cov(Y,Z)/(sqrt(var(Y)*sqrt(var(Z)) but i need some help on how to find the cov and vars cov(Y,Z)=E(YZ)-E(Y)E(Z)

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a random variable takes values 0 and 1 and has expected value = 0, it is zero identically----that is, it is not "random" at all! There must be an error in your problem statement.

4. May 21, 2013 #3
    sorry my mistake they take 1 and -1 values and they have expected value 0

5. May 21, 2013 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi ParisSpart! :smile:

Since there are 2 possibilities for any ##X_i## with apparent probabilities fifty-fifty... what is ##\sigma^2(X_i)##?

Do you know how variances combine for independent variables?
    If so, what is ##\sigma^2(Y)##?

Following up, do you know how to find ##\sigma^2(Z)##?

When we have all that we'll tackle ##EYZ##...

6. May 22, 2013 #5
    how i wil find them...? please help cuz i have to do it into 3 hours.,..

7. May 22, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are supposed to do you OWN work, not get somebody else to do it for you. If you cannot do the question, just accept the reduced course marks!

Last edited: May 22, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted