1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random walk:expectation

1. Jul 16, 2006 #1
    I have a random function f(n) which takes the values +/- 1 with equal probability.
    Let the variable X take the sum of the values of f(n) after n steps. Then I can write,
    [tex]X(T) = \sum_{n=0}^T f(n)[/tex] where T = 0,1,2,... and X(0) = 0.
    And I can write the expectation of X as,
    [tex]<X> = < \sum_{n=0}^T f(n) > = \sum_{n=0}^T <f(n) > = 0[/tex] since <f(n)> = 0 (by definition).
    My question:
    if, instead [tex]X(n) = \sum_{k=0}^n e^{-\mu k} f(n-k)[/tex] then, for the expectaion of X, can I write,
    [tex]< X(n)> = \sum_{k=0}^n e^{-\mu k} < f(n-k) >[/tex]
    or even,
    [tex]< X(n)> = \sum_{k=0}^n < e^{-\mu k}> < f(n-k) >[/tex]
    If I can do either of the above then can I also use <f(n)> = 0 to say that <X(n)> = 0, which I'm pretty sure it would have to be to answer the rest of my question.

TIA

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2006 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You left out one important definition - what is mu? Is it a random variable or is it a constant? If it is random, how does it relate to f(n)? If it is constant or independent of f(n), then your conclusion is correct.

4. Jul 16, 2006 #3
    Thanks, I should have mentined that about mu. It is a constant value.
    So I was correct after all. :smile:
    I guess that's just as well, since I'm already typing up my results based on that conclusion!
    Many thanks for the confirmation.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook