Exploring Random Walk in 1-D: Solving Compilation Issues

In summary: I didn't format it nicely. It's possible that g++ has different settings or error checking compared to other compilers, so it may not catch all syntax errors. It's always a good idea to thoroughly check your code for errors before running it.
Themis
Hi

I created a program to run a random walk in 1d with only input the number of steps and the number of walks. I used a random number generator to produce only two outcomes (step forward and step back) and in the main function I want to calculate the average of x (over a number of walks) and the mean square average of x. For that reason I introduced two loops the outer loop for running the number of walks and the inner loop that runs until the number of steps. Finally for each inner loop i want to calculate the x(not the average) and the for each x calculated in each inner loop sum them for the number of walks and then divide them by the number of walks to find the average.

Code:
//Random Walk in 1-d

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>
using namespace std;

int yo(void) {

int state;
     state = 1 + rand() % 2;

return state;

}

int main () {

int nwalks, x,xsum;
  int state=0;
  int nsteps=0;
  double msd=;
  double xaverage=0.0;

cout << "Give The number of Steps:" <<endl;
  cin >> nsteps;
  cout << " Give number of Walks:"<< endl;
  cin >> nwalks;

srand(time(0));  
   xsum=o;
   msd=o;
   for (int i=1; i <= nwalks; i++){
     x=0;
      for (int j=1; j <= nsteps; j++){
     state = yo();
     if (state == 1)
        x=x+1;
        else
          x=x-1;

xsum= xsum + x;
       msd= msd + x*x;

}      

}

cout << " <x(N)>="<< xsum/nwalks <<" <x^2 (N)="<< msd/nwalks<<endl;

return (0);
}

The compilation with g++ was ok but when i run it the results are some random numbers. It doesn't even asks for the inputs. What I am doing wrong? I am an amateur in c++

Technology news on Phys.org
I don't have a computer or a compiler right now, but what happens when you use a block of comments (/* */) to make the compiler ignore everything from "srand(time(0))" and "endl;". Does it ask for input then? You can use this strategy to find out which line of code is doing something you don't want it to.

Themis said:
Hi

I created a program to run a random walk in 1d with only input the number of steps and the number of walks. I used a random number generator to produce only two outcomes (step forward and step back) and in the main function I want to calculate the average of x (over a number of walks) and the mean square average of x. For that reason I introduced two loops the outer loop for running the number of walks and the inner loop that runs until the number of steps. Finally for each inner loop i want to calculate the x(not the average) and the for each x calculated in each inner loop sum them for the number of walks and then divide them by the number of walks to find the average.

Code:
//Random Walk in 1-d

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>
using namespace std;

int yo(void) {

int state;
     state = 1 + rand() % 2;

return state;

}

int main () {

int nwalks, x,xsum;
  int state=0;
  int nsteps=0;
  double msd=;
  double xaverage=0.0;

cout << "Give The number of Steps:" <<endl;
  cin >> nsteps;
  cout << " Give number of Walks:"<< endl;
  cin >> nwalks;

srand(time(0));
   xsum=o;
   msd=o;
   for (int i=1; i <= nwalks; i++){
     x=0;
      for (int j=1; j <= nsteps; j++){
     state = yo();
     if (state == 1)
        x=x+1;
        else
          x=x-1;

xsum= xsum + x;
       msd= msd + x*x;

}    

}

cout << " <x(N)>="<< xsum/nwalks <<" <x^2 (N)="<< msd/nwalks<<endl;

return (0);
}

The compilation with g++ was ok but when i run it the results are some random numbers. It doesn't even asks for the inputs. What I am doing wrong? I am an amateur in c++
Your code has syntax errors, so won't compile. The three syntax errors I see are the following
  • double msd=;
  • xsum=o;
  • msd=o;
In the first line, you're missing the initialization value.
In the second and third lines, you have used the letter o instead of the numeral 0.

After I fixed these errors, I ran your code in Visual Studio 2013 and got this output:
Code:
Give The number of Steps:
 Give number of Walks:
 <x(N)>=-3 <x^2 (N)=245.429

Mark44 said:
Your code has syntax errors, so won't compile. The three syntax errors I see are the following
  • double msd=;
  • xsum=o;
  • msd=o;
In the second and third lines, you have used the letter o instead of the numeral 0.
This isn't my question, but I'm curious nonetheless - what could cause g++ to compile something with such obvious errors?

Heatherfield said:
This isn't my question, but I'm curious nonetheless - what could cause g++ to compile something with such obvious errors?
No idea.

But see my previous post -- I added a bit after you saw it and replied.

Heatherfield said:
Yes Sorry for that. those are mistakes i did after i compiled the program and forgot to erase them

Mark44 said:
  • double msd=;
  • xsum=o;
  • msd=o;

After I fixed these errors, I ran your code in Visual Studio 2013 and got this output:
Code:
Give The number of Steps:
Give number of Walks:
<x(N)>=-3 <x^2 (N)=245.429

Any idea why after i corrected the mistakes when i run the program again it produces random numbers and not the same output as yours?
Is it the compiler? I use g++ because the professor wants it.

What happens if you comment out everything apart from the essentials (main function, includes, et cetera) and the requests for input (cout and cin)?

Themis said:
Any idea why after i corrected the mistakes when i run the program again it produces random numbers and not the same output as yours?
Two different runs of the program should produce different output, even with the same numbers as inputs. That's the nature of using random numbers.
When I ran your code I entered 20 for the no. of steps and 14 for the no. of walks. Your code has zero comments and no information in the prompts about what these variables are supposed to represent, other than one is steps and the other is walks. A naive user such as myself won't know the difference between these. Comments in your code and more helpful comments would make it easier for a user to know what to enter.

Your instructor is likely to deduct points if there are no comments in your code.
Themis said:
Is it the compiler? I use g++ because the professor wants it.
As I said, different program runs will produce different output, and the same is true if you use a different compiler.

I had the impression that the program only gave randomn numbers and no input prompt? Or do I need to drastically refine my fine-reading skills?

Mark44 said:
Two different runs of the program should produce different output, even with the same numbers as inputs. That's the nature of using random numbers.
When I ran your code I entered 20 for the no. of steps and 14 for the no. of walks. Your code has zero comments and no information in the prompts about what these variables are supposed to represent, other than one is steps and the other is walks. A naive user such as myself won't know the difference between these. Comments in your code and more helpful comments would make it easier for a user to know what to enter.

Your instructor is likely to deduct points if there are no comments in your code.

As I said, different program runs will produce different output, and the same is true if you use a different compiler.
Thanks a lot for the your advice I will add comments when i finally run the program.
My fault I didn't make it clear : When i say it produces random numbers I mean that when i run it, it doesn't ask for inputs, it just makes a list of 24 random numbers and that's it. My output should be 2 numbers x(N) and x^2(N).

I installed visual studio and it runs now. Don't know why but it works

How about now ? I added comments
Code:
//Random Walk in 1-d

#include <iostream>  // the libraries we need to run the program
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>
using namespace std;
// The function yo is the random generator that gives two possible states
// If it gives 1 the guy walks one step forward if 2 it goes one step back
int yo(void) {

int state;
    state = 1 + rand() % 2;

return state;

}
// End of random generator function

int main() {

int nwalks, x, xsum; // nwalks is the number of walks we want
                         // x is the displacement from the point of origin( we start at zero --see later in loop)
                         // xsum is adding the x's in each inner loop
    int state = 0;    
    int nsteps = 0;
    double msd;          //msd is the mean square displacement

cout << "Give The number of Steps:" << endl;  // The program asks for input the number of steps we want the guy to walk
    cin >> nsteps;
    cout << " Give number of Walks:" << endl;    // The number of walks input, is how many times we want to repeat the random walk
    cin >> nwalks;

srand(time(0)); // this is the seed of our generator
    xsum = 0;     // we start our computation of xsum and msd from zero
    msd = 0;
    for (int i = 1; i <= nwalks; i++){ // this loop is for repeating the scenario according to our input of nwalks
        x = 0; // When the inner loop completes each task we want for the next nwalk x to start again from zero
        for (int j = 1; j <= nsteps; j++){ // This is the random walk simulation for nsteps input
            state = yo(); //we set our variable state to take whatever value our random generator gives
            if (state == 1) // If the generator gives 1 then the guy makes a step forward and so we add 1 to x
                x = x + 1;
            else
                x = x - 1; // If the generator gives 2 then the guy makes a step back and we subtrack 1 from x

xsum = xsum + x; // This is the distance the guy has from x=0 after nsteps
            msd = msd + x*x; // This is the x^2 (not the average value)

}

}
    //The simulation must calculate the average of x and the average of x^2--so <x>= all x's divided by the nwalks
    // the same stands for the msd
    //We expect that <x> is almost zero (equal propability for back and forward) and <x^2> almost equal to the number of steps
    cout << " <x(N)>=" << xsum/nwalks << " <x^2 (N)>=" << msd/nwalks << endl;

return (0);
}
I have one logical question because the results are not very good. The <x> must be almost zero and the <x^2> almost equal to nsteps in this case.
The last two equations are in the right place? or to I need something extra?
xsum = xsum + x; msd = msd + x*x;

When the inner loop completes (after nsteps) then it calculates xsum and msd. Then it repeats the same for nwalks. I want to add each xsum and msd and divide them by nwalks to take the average. Do i express this correct in my program?

Heatherfield said:
I had the impression that the program only gave randomn numbers and no input prompt? Or do I need to drastically refine my fine-reading skills?

Sorry Heatherfield i wasn't very clear. I hope with this post i am better

Thanks a lot again

Themis said:
I have one logical question because the results are not very good. The <x> must be almost zero and the <x^2> almost equal to nsteps in this case.
The last two equations are in the right place? or to I need something extra?
xsum = xsum + x; msd = msd + x*x;
The two assignment statements (don't call them equations) are in the wrong place. As you say just below, xsum and msd are calculated. This means they should be outside the inner loop
Themis said:
When the inner loop completes (after nsteps) then it calculates xsum and msd. Then it repeats the same for nwalks. I want to add each xsum and msd and divide them by nwalks to take the average. Do i express this correct in my program?
The calculation for xsum looks OK to me, but I'm not sure about the msd. Is msd for a given run just the square of the current displacement at the end of a walk? If so, then I guess it's OK.

1. What is a random walk in 1-D?

A random walk in 1-D is a mathematical concept that describes the movement of a point in a straight line, where each step is taken in a random direction. This concept is often used in statistics and physics to model various real-world phenomena.

2. What are some common compilation issues when exploring random walk in 1-D?

Some common compilation issues when exploring random walk in 1-D include issues with syntax errors, incorrect data types, and missing libraries or dependencies. These issues can prevent the code from running properly and may require debugging to solve.

3. How can I solve compilation issues when exploring random walk in 1-D?

To solve compilation issues when exploring random walk in 1-D, it is important to carefully review the code for any syntax errors, check that the data types are correct, and ensure that all necessary libraries and dependencies are installed. Debugging tools such as print statements and step-by-step debugging can also be helpful in identifying and resolving these issues.

4. What are some practical applications of exploring random walk in 1-D?

Exploring random walk in 1-D has a wide range of practical applications in various fields, including finance, biology, and physics. It can be used to model stock market fluctuations, the movement of molecules in a chemical reaction, and the diffusion of particles in a gas, among other phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to using random walk in 1-D to model real-world phenomena?

While random walk in 1-D can be a useful tool for modeling some real-world phenomena, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that each step is taken in a completely random direction, which may not always be the case in reality. Additionally, it does not account for external factors or influences that may affect the movement of the point being modeled.