Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Randomly censored words on TV

1. Jun 27, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You know what's got me confused? Why are the most random words censored on certain channels? For some reason words like "the b word" are allowed but "***" and "god damn" aren't allowed. Then on some channels it's the other way around... then "the N word" is allowed on certain channels or programs while not in others (irregardless of the program or station catering towards or mainly starring african americans). Has anyone else noticed it? I have a few movies on dvd and I watch them... and then I see them on actual television and I've started noticing what words were allowed and what weren't and it's completely random with the sole exception being the F word and S word from what I can remember...

And yes, I didn't want to fill this thread with cursing so I did write it a bit childishly.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2009 #2
    I find the entire concept of censoring words to be childish to begin with. Swear words are not mature topics, they merely convey anger. The real mature topics are ideas that can be conveyed with almost any words.

4. Jun 27, 2009 #3

jgens

Gold Member

I agree that a lot of the rules regarding the censorship of language don't make any sense.

By the way, irregardless is a dumb (non-standard) word.

5. Jun 27, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok Stewie. I use that word as much as possible ever since stewie said he would have people jailed for using that amongst other words if he took over the world.

6. Jun 27, 2009 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The "b" word is allowed because Hillary Clinton used it once.

7. Jun 27, 2009 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't even know why they censor the body and sexual acts on TV. It's lame.

After like 9pm in Canada, it's pretty much anything goes.

8. Jun 27, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Watched Usual suspects the other night. In the line up scene they say "fairy-godmother", I'm pretty sure that's not what they said at the cinema.

In The Dambusters they simply blanked out the name of the dog.
    (I can't put the word here but the black dog is named after the Joint Russian-Nigerian gas company http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8118721.stm )

9. Jun 27, 2009 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Has anyone ever seen idiocracy? They have that blurry crap everywhere in that movie! Especially when that fast food place ButtF***ers is on the shot haha.

10. Jun 27, 2009 #9
    I've never understood censorship of any kind. What is the purpose of perpetuating the meme that certain acts and words are taboo? Are we such a backward society that watching people kill one another is the norm, but seeing two people make love, expose a select piece of skin, or say a word is forbidden? What is the cause of this strange censorship?

11. Jun 28, 2009 #10
    Different times of day there are different FCC standards. Also certain sponsors and stations wish to promote a particular image to cater to their prefered demographic. If the station has a tendency to allow 'foul' language they may get complaints from their demographic and lose sponsors that do not wish to be associated with them due to their content.

12. Jun 28, 2009 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Because young people are impressionable? Because they are often too underdeveloped to understand the context in which an act is commited or a word is used, and when it is inappropriate? So we censor on the rationale that they will be more thoughtfully introduced to these things under more caring and controlled (likely parental) tutelage?

13. Jun 28, 2009 #12
    I've hypothesized that it is primarily and unconsciously for the purpose of preserving the titilation people experience at hearing or seeing the 'taboo' thing.

14. Jun 28, 2009 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The censored version of Robot Chicken's Palpatine Takes a Collect Call is way funnier than the uncensored version.

And a girl wearing nothing but a man's dress shirt is way sexier than a girl wearing nothing at all.

IMO.

15. Jun 28, 2009 #14
    The censorship is not designed to censor anything meaningful. Surely you can agree that watching a person force another person to eat their brains while they are still alive, or chop them into pieces with a chain saw, rip their teeth out while still alive, stab them in the esophagus and then take pleasure out of watching them choke to death on their own blood...is far more disturbing than someone stubbing their toe and saying the F word. Guess what..all of the above are scenes in popular movies made for children.

16. Jun 28, 2009 #15
    Our family has seen the movie Apollo 13 several times. I remember one of the lines from Gene being "God damnit I don't want another estimate, I want the procedures... NOW".

On the TV they bleep out God and it's just "Damnit I don't want another estimate, ..."

How in the hell is saying God on television bad? Evangelists should be banned from TV in that case :P

17. Jun 28, 2009 #16
    I think it's the evangelicals that banned that one, because they don't like people ordering their God around

18. Jun 28, 2009 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

In what movie made for children do they force another person to eat their brains while they are still alive, or chop them into pieces with a chain saw, rip their teeth out while still alive, stab them in the esophagus and then take pleasure out of watching them choke to death on their own blood?

19. Jun 28, 2009 #18
    The large part of being a parent is to give children the context of situations and words and when it's appropriate, which parents do for every other situation except reproduction and 7 choice words. Why? For what reason are these things taboo while other more complicated things to explain aren't?

20. Jun 28, 2009 #19
    :???: I was wondering the same thing.
    The first one sounds like the scene from Hannibal which is certainly not a childrens movie. The others can be from just about anything but I don't remember them being in any childrens movies.

21. Jun 28, 2009 #20
    God dammit is apparently worse than dammit. Same thing goes with ******* compared to ***. A lot of times you'll hear ***(beeeep).

EDIT: ok I won't even bother, too many stars

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook