1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Range and domain

1. Apr 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given two functions f(x)=\frac{x}{x+1} , g(x)=\frac{x+2}{x}

(1) find the domain of f and g

so D_f all real x , [tex]x\neq -1[/tex]

D_g is all real x , [tex]x\neq 0[/tex]

(2) Find the composite function gf and state its domain and range

g o f = 3+ 2/x , then its domain would be all x , [tex]x\neq 0[/tex] , am i correct ?

What is the easiest way to find its range , graph sketching ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

\frac{}{} is a LaTeX command, so needs to be inside [ tex] tags, like this:
    [tex]f(x)=\frac{x}{x+1}[/tex]
    [tex]g(x)=\frac{x + 2}{x}[/tex]
    Double-click either one to see what I did.
    Part 1 is right, but part 2 isn't. (g o f)(x) = g(f(x)) = [tex]g(1 + 2/x)[/tex]
    Think about what g does to an input...

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3
    thanks Mark , but did u mean (g o f)(x)=g(x/(x+1)) ?

If so , i can see that g can take all real x , except for x=-1 from f and g itself has its own restriction so after combining , the domain of g o f would be all real x , except for x=-1 and x=0 .

Am i correct ? so i can apply this way of checking for all such questions ?

Also , whats the easiest way to find the range for this question ? I can sketch the graph but would it be tedious to do so ?

5. Apr 10, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, what you have is right. I mistakenly put in the formula for g(x), but meant to put in the formula for f(x).
    Right.
    [tex]g(f(x)) = g\left(\frac{x}{x + 1}\right) = 1 + \frac{\frac{x}{x+1} + 2}{\frac{x}{x+1}}[/tex]
    The last expression can be simplified, but it's OK for our purposes right now. That expression is undefined if x = -1, because the two denominators in the rational expressions in the main numerator and denominator will be zero. The expression is also undefined if x = 0, since that would make the rational expression in the main denominator zero.

If you simplify that latter expression by multiplying top and bottom by (x + 1)/x over itself, you get f(g(x)) = 3 + 2/x, so it's no longer obvious that x can't be -1, but the only way that simplification could occur is if x is neither -1 nor 0.
    Each of the graphs that make up the composite function is relatively easy to sketch. f(x) = x/(x + 1) = 1 - 1/(x + 1), by long division, and this is related to y = 1/x, but with a reflection and two translations, one horizontal and one vertical. Rf = {y | y != 1}.

g(x) = (x + 2)/x = 1 + 2/x, and this is also related to y = 1/x, with a stretch and a vertical translation. It turns out that Rg = {y | y != 1}.

6. Apr 10, 2010 #5
    got it , thanks Mark , that helps a tons , appreciate that ! Have a nice day !

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook