Range and obliquous asymptotes

• MHB
  • Thread starter leprofece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary: Hence:y\le-2 or y\ge2Therefore, the range of this function is:(-\infty,-2] \cup [2,+\infty)In summary, the function $\frac{1}{x}+x$ has a slant asymptote parallel to $y=x$ with a value of $0$. Its range is $(-\infty,-2] \cup [2,+\infty)$ and its domain is all real numbers except $0$. The function is increasing at $(-\infty,-1] \cup [1,+\infty)$ and decreasing at $[-1,0) \cup (0,1]$.
leprofece
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{x}+x\)

as i canot see it the function is x +1/x
Find the range and the obliquous asymptote

Ok it looks to be easy but the most of books say that I must see the graph but teacher asks me in a math way
How can I calculate it??
a book tells me that I must solving for x

about athe oblique asymptote i must use a formula that i forget

The answers are Range x>2 y x<2
asympote in x but in what number ?

Physics news on Phys.org
leprofece said:
\(\displaystyle \\frac{1}{x}\)+ x

as i canot see it the function is x +1/x
Find the range and the obliquous asymptote

Ok it looks to be easy but the most of books say that I must see the graph but teacher asks me in a math way
How can I calculate it??
a book tells me that I must solving for x

about athe oblique asymptote i must use a formula that i forget

The answers are Range x>2 y x<2
asympote in x but in what number ?

$$f(x)=x+\frac{1}{x}=\frac{x^2+1}{x}$$

We notice that the polynomial in the numerator is a higher degree $(2^{nd})$ than the denominator $(1^{st})$, so we know that we have a slant asymptote.

$$f(x)=x+\frac{1}{x}$$

When $x$ gets large, $\frac{1}{x}$ gets very small,so the function $f$ will get close to $x$.Therefore,the asymptote is parallel to $y=x$.

To find the actual asymptote,we look at the limit of $f(x)-x:$

$$\lim_{x \to +\infty} \left ( x+\frac{1}{x}-x \right )=\lim_{x \to +\infty} \frac{1}{x}=0$$

The limit is $0$,so for large $x$, $f(x)$ is close to $x$,which is the asymptote.

Otherwise, you can just use polynomial division.
$f(x)=\frac{x^2+1}{x}=x+\frac{1}{x}$
So,we see that the function has been rewritten after long division has been performed.

The last term of $f$ becomes negligible for large $x$, so the asymptote is $x$ .

Last edited:
Ok thanks but In what value
in any x value
in 0
in x +
or in x -

And I Need the range
it must be calculate in math way without seeing the graph

Last edited:
leprofece said:
Ok thanks but In what value
in any x value
in 0
in x +
or in x -

And I Need the range
it must be calculate in math way without seeing the graph

$$f(x)=x+\frac{1}{x}$$

The domain of $f$ is $\{ x \in \mathbb{R}: x \neq 0 \}$

$$f'(x)=1-\frac{1}{x^2}$$

$$f'(x)=0 \Rightarrow x^2=1 \Rightarrow x=\pm 1$$

We can see that $f$ is increasing at the interval $(-\infty,-1]$, decreasing at the intervals $[-1,0)$ and $(0,1]$ and increasing at $[1,+\infty)$

The range of the interval $(-\infty,-1]$ is $R_1=(\lim_{x \to -\infty} f(x),f(-1)]=(-\infty,-2]$.

The range of the interval $[-1,0)$ is $R_2=(\lim_{x \to 0} f(x),f(-1)]=(-\infty,-2]$.

The range of the interval $(0,1]$ is $R_3=[f(1), \lim_{x \to 0} f(x))=[2,+\infty)$

The range of the interval $[1,+\infty)$ is $R_4=[f(1),\lim_{x \to +\infty} f(x))=[2,+\infty)$

Therefore,the range of the function is: $R=R_1 \cup R_2 \cup R_3 \cup R_4=(-\infty,-2] \cup [-2,+\infty )$.

Thanks And what is the value of the asymptote?

evinda gave you that in post #2. The asymptote is a line, not a value.

-Dan

Another method you could use to find the range is to write the equation as:

\(\displaystyle x^2-yx+1=0\)

Require the discriminant to be non-negative:

\(\displaystyle y^2-4\ge0\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle |y|\ge2\)

1. What is a range asymptote?

A range asymptote is a horizontal line that a graph approaches but never touches. It represents the maximum or minimum value that the function can reach.

2. How do you find the range asymptote of a function?

To find the range asymptote of a function, you can use the limit of the function as x approaches positive or negative infinity. If the limit is a finite number, then that is the range asymptote. If the limit is infinity or negative infinity, then there is no range asymptote.

3. What is an oblique asymptote?

An oblique asymptote is a slanted line that a graph approaches but never touches. It occurs when the degree of the numerator of a rational function is exactly one more than the degree of the denominator.

4. How do you find the oblique asymptote of a function?

To find the oblique asymptote of a function, you can use long division to divide the numerator by the denominator. The quotient will be the equation of the oblique asymptote.

5. Can a function have both a range and an oblique asymptote?

Yes, a function can have both a range and an oblique asymptote. This occurs when the function has both a horizontal and a slanted line that it approaches but never touches.