1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Range calculation help

1. Oct 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the range of sqrt(25-(x-2)^2)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the inverse

then I found the domain to be [-5,5] and said thats the range of the original equation however when I graph the original equation the ys only range from [0,+5] what did I mess up?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2007 #2
    Interestingly enough [tex]y=\sqrt{25-(x-2)^2}[/tex]

Is the top half of the circle:

For there you can easily deduce that it's center is (2,0) and it has a radius of 5. D:[-3,7] and the range is easily deducible as well.

Or you could solve this by realizing that [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] belongs to all reals when x >= 0.

So just find where [tex]25-(x-2)^2=0[/tex] and that would also give you the same answer for the domain. For the range, you need to know the manipulations of the square root function.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  4. Oct 12, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

y = sqrt(25-(x-2)^2)

sqrt only gives the postive root... hence y >= 0. range will be >= 0

when you take the inverse, you need to include this condition... ie the inverse is

2+sqrt(-x^2+25)... where x must be >= 0, on top of the other condition that you find -5<=x<=5

so x>=0 AND -5<=x<=5, means the domain of this function is 0<=x<=5.

Another way to see it is:

is not a one-to-one function. because a value of x and its negative give the same result. But an invertibe needs to be one-to-one.

2+sqrt(-x^2+25) where x>=0 is one-to-one

But I'm not sure this is the best approach to find the range... you may have non-invertible functions whose range you need to calculate... so in these cases you won't be able to take the inverse.

I think a sketch is the best approach.
  5. Oct 12, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

:redface: I didn't notice that it was a circle. So the sketch is straightforward.
  6. Oct 12, 2007 #5
    alright thanks i get it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?