1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Range of a Ballista Arrow

1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ballista fires an arrow at an initial velocity of 325 m/s. What is the maximum range it can reach? How high would it get at maximum range? How long would it take?

2. Relevant equations
    Rmax = (Vo^2)/g

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I used the formula, I got the maximum range to be 10,778 m. This is close to 6 miles, which is obviously unrealistic. What's wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2
    1170km/h.
    Very powerful ballista.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. Sep 25, 2012 #3
    It's in my text book. But the range equation it R = (Vo^2/g)*sin(2Ɵ). Since firing at an angle of 45 degrees yields maximum range, when theta becomes 45, sin(2Ɵ) is equal to 1 and can be taken out of the formula.

5. Sep 25, 2012 #4
    What do you mean by this? That's a velocity, not a distance.

6. Sep 25, 2012 #5
    The initial speed given is just above the speed of sound at sea level. Which is completely not realistic for a ballista. But even if it were, the range equation you use would also be unrealistic, because it neglects air resistance. Which cannot be neglected at supersonic speeds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook